IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Do you want to connect your SBT with the Mutec via USB (with the hub workaround)? As standard outputs the SBT actually offers only SPDIF and Toslink.

Exactly, you can use the SBT USB output with the EDO plugin for several years. See this URL (Announce: Enhanced Digital Output app - USB Dac and 192k Digital Ouput). This pluging is recomended for a better audio result.

But I would be sure if SBT works under Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel, it is enough for the Mutec USB interface.

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Just a verification, is Mutec mc-3+ USB compliant USB Audio Class 2 device ? (just to verify this item can work correctly with network drive powered by a Linux kernel USB Audio Class 2 compliant).

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Sure, Mutec MC-3+ USB is quite good but what would the gap with a USB drive connected to a W4S Recovery beetween the drive and the USB interface ?

My config today is : Squeezebox Touch -> USB Curious Cable -> W4S Recovery -> Singxer F-1 -> FDA amplifier and I answer myself if replacing Singxer by Mutec would give better results in this case.

And you hadn't the W4S Recovery beetween the Singxer or Mutec and the computer ?

Because somebody estimates a great improvement of the SQ offered with the Recovery.

I'm looking Mutec in order to challenge and perhaps replace a Singxer F-1 and a dxio Pro3z. Regarding the used hifi system, the result provided by these interfaces is quite different. 

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

for a new streamer, you do not need a lot of investment. You can buy for 40 bucks Raspberry Pi 2

and install on it a free software piCorePlayer (https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home).

With MUTEC USB sounds awesome. Sound is much much better than any squeezebox from Logitech.

Raspberry shares the same chip for RJ45 and USB bus, not really optimized for a audio USB drive.

It seems Sparky SBC hasn't the same limitation.

By the way, I have used a Squeezebox Touch since 2010 and any micro PC as Odriod or Raspberry has obtained the same sound quality that the SBT which is really full optimized for audio. Example, a RuenAudio on Ordroid give a very awful audio result and can't support hdtracks too ... 

1 hour ago, Konstantin said:

I also have a SBT with a firmware from  Triode, but it sounds much worse than a picoplayer.

Sound optimization in this case engaged in the software. The CPU is also concerned not only with the processing of the audio signal. MUTEC performs its task very well, but it does not help if after it the DAC is mediocre. I also experimented a lot with different players and software and settled on a picoplayer with MUTEC. MPD player sounds a little bit better, but usability of Squeezelite worth it.

ok, I see, I don't use the SBT DAC which is not high end quality... I'm using the USB output with the EDO plugin. In this case, SBT is a good drive, and becomes a very good drive with a PSU Ifi Ipower 5V and a Recovery W4S for exemple.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If 5V works fine, try the 5V / 3A PSU from allo.com. It a cheap psu made in china, with cheap components inside, but with specifications and results quite extraordinary for the price. It is just a suggestion at 12$, :D even if I know that many people will never beleive me ...

On 10/26/2017 at 8:59 AM, SwissBear said:

I made this experiment and was not convinced by its benefits. The magic of the MC-3+USB, and even more when it is synced with a Ref-10, is to enrich the listening experience while giving to the music a very natural and analogical presentation. On the other hand, the DigiOne I listened to was enriching the listening experience (more information, better separation, aso), but was still presenting the music in a very digital way, with more harshness if I can say so... I have not been able to suppress this harshness using an MC-3+ USB, although it was synced to a Ref-10.

If you are keen to moving into the direction of the MC-3+ USB, which I encourage you to do, willing to use a better LPSU and even contemplating a Ref-10 type of product, I would encourage you to try the USBBridge of Allo which has the reputation to be more musical, or even a second hand Sonore µ-rendu or SOtM sMS-200. The global listening experience on my systems is very different with these devices.

Just my 2c and not in any case an evaluation of the DigiOne to be clear ;)

Happy to see you done the test :D

Perhaps just a wedding history between electronics. I don't perceive this digital way you describe in my system with Digione but perhaps I can conclude the Mutec USB will be a presentation more analogic that is is with Digione, always on my system.

So, have you test just the card or the complete player with the associated PSU?

If you tested the player, have you test the Allo PSU with your Mutec?