IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Wow, came here looking into the Mutec and feel like I've fallen down a rabbit hole. Hard to believe how long the chain of devices and cords is getting for people (adding other reclockers, power supplies, etc.). And then DIY modifying too! - I wonder if I can just crawl back up to the light and forget I was ever here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'd appreciate it if anybody could summarize the differences between MC-3+ with/and/without USB. 

Obviously one has a USB input and the other does not. It also seems the USB model can get updates through USB. Does that mean the other model gets no updates? That's as far as I've got. So any other differences summarized would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new to this long thread and have managed the first 20 pages +/-. I  don't think my question has been covered a ton (hoping). Most people buy this device to improve USB. I've managed to avoid USB. I know it works with other inputs besides USB but it's hard to find reviews in those cases. So the question is: Does it tend to make a noticeable improvement on other inputs besides USB?

I'm considering putting this in a chain between Nativ Vita (arriving tomorrow and has several available outputs) and Schiit Yggy (AES is preferred/likely input). 

Thanks for any input!

19 minutes ago, Miko said:

Since this thread is about the USB version I'm not sure what your question is.. you may wanna look up threads that talk about the non USB version..

I'll try to clarify and hopefully I'm not completely off base: The USB version is improved in different ways besides having a USB input and it does have several other inputs. So I assume some people use the other inputs. I'm just having trouble finding impressions from those people to help me determine if the device has noticeable improvements with other inputs besides USB. I'd guess it does but am looking for those who have tried. I would think some people using USB also have other devices attached (eg., CD players, etc). So maybe even those using USB have some insight about using other inputs besides USB.

• 1 year later...

I am running Vita (highly recommended!) using AES output to Mutec 3+, to Schiit Yggdrasil DAC (highly recommended), to PrePro, to Amps, to Salk Sound tower speakers (highly recommended). The sound is incredible. I have not completed tons of testing to see how much difference the Mutec makes to the overall sound but my impression is that I don't think it makes much difference in my system. The only reason I've left it in the chain is because it solves a different problem. My DAC "clicks" (auto-mute) between songs when there is a break in the signal. The Vita does not yet play "gapless" so I get the clicks and though they are only audible with quiet music playing, they bother me. The Mutec must have a constant output so the DAC does not see breaks between songs like it does when it's connected directly to Vita. No clicks. If Vita starts playing in gapless mode with future firmware updates, I'll likely sell the Mutec.

• 8 months later...