IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

5 hours ago, Lerouge said:

Not only, but also including "MUTEC 1G clock technology and "Latest generation REVIVE-re-sync" and also better quality power supply... As I said before, just a mc3+usb but without sync connections to an external atomic clock ... frankly useless in hi-fi.

I use an MC-3+ (no USB) to reclock S/PDIF (coax-in) from a CD player and feed this (coax-out) to a Schiit Modi multibit DAC. In a blind test I can't distinguish CD playback via the MC-3+, from USB audio played through the same DAC with an Intona galvanic USB isolator between PC and DAC. IME galvanic isolation is essential for good USB audio. I may just try the Mutec MC-1.2 (with Intona isolator) and compare SQ to the MC-3+. It would be great If USB audio via the MC-1.2 sounds better over coax than the DAC's own USB interface and clock! :) 

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:44 AM, LowMidHigh said:

Does the MC3 thoroughly strip out the incoming clock information and  then append a complety fresh clock instead? Or is the old clock information being manipulated to increase accuracy?

My reading suggests thd former: a totally new clock. Observations points to the latter, else why would different sources and protocols sound unlike? In other words, If the old clock is discarded is favore of the MC3, the sound should be identical independently of source. That's not the case, though.

Does anyone know more?

Coax and toslink differ in electrical properties and in the amount of jitter that their interfaces produce. Asynchronous USB generally has the lowest jitter, but it tends to be electrically noisy. Now jitter is not too much of a problem for a modern DDC or DAC, but electrical noise (common mode or differential mode) is a problem. If the USB input of the Mutec is not properly isolated, then electrical noise from the source/computer can interfere with DD conversion (reclocking) in the Mutec and possibly with DA conversion in the DAC.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:31 AM, LowMidHigh said:

So that nearly explains the USB difference in sound. Still, my DAP spdif sounds considerably better than the optical on the Chromcast. So the jitter level must have a substantial impact on DDC inside the MC3. 

Yes, the many reports indicating that daisy-chaining 2 (or more) M-C3+ reclockers further improves SQ also suggest that input jitter levels are still important. And my own experience with a single MC-3+ (not the USB version) is that coax out sounds better than toslink out, but that may be DAC specific.