IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Hi all,

I absolutely understand this frustration. I personally had to deal with severe and unfortunate case of what seemed like planned obsolescence related to an Apple iPhone recently, which was incredibly annoying ;-) Let me assure you though that it was not MUTEC's intention to render the MC-1.2 and the MC-3+ obsolete when we released the MC-3+USB. The MC-1.2 in particular is about half the cost of the MC-3+USB and really a useful product in its own right due to the full-duplex bi-directional operation (for example as a studio interface to integrate digital reverbs). The MC-3+ on the other hand has two more Word Clock outputs compared to the MC-3+USB to offer more clock distribution capabilities. Keep in mind that MUTEC's background is in pro audio, so some products were initially developed for that market, but we soon realized the power of the re-clocking and how audiophile customers can benefit from it. So the MC-3+USB is the first product that was specifically developed with the needs of the audiophile folks in mind.

@PewterTA: Please contact the MUTEC HQ at contactATmutec-net.com regarding your specific questions!

Best regards,

Julian

I think pretty much everyone understands technological advancements, as well as product obsolescence with this hobby, so no worries. Nonetheless, it is frustrating when newer products come and one has to put aside an older piece of equipment, especially if he can't use it anymore.

That's why I love forums, ebay, classified ads, etc. because one man's "loss" is another man's gain, so nothing goes to waste, rather is recycled to fellow hobbyists!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Apologies if this question is a little O/T but I was wondering if anybody has compared the Puc2 Lite to the Mutec MC-3+ USB? I think the chances on first hand experience are slim so does anybody just have any thoughts? I've had the Puc2 Lite bookmarked as another converter/reclocker with good reviews - and it is half the price so I'm wondering if its on par with the Mutec?

I had a similar thought, but it seemed rather logical when it comes to clocks, that the more expensive solution would be the best, at least in this case. Even though both companies deal with recording/pro-audio equipment...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everybody,

what hype?

Few people talked about reclocking on this forum up until a year ago. Products such as Apogee Big Ben have been around for quite a while, but it really was the Mutec MC3+ which made this product category interesting for audiophiles, offering much more bang for the buck. Within a rather short period of time new products by Mutec and Acousence (and possibly others) appeared providing even better results. Developers have learned their lesson and equipped their latest babies with USB inputs and therefore became more interesting to the world of audiophiles.

I cannot see any hype yet, these products now are just getting the attention they deserve.

Hi Accwai,

as I said, a friend from Germany paid me a visit and took his AFI with him. We did compare the reclockers, but in the end we only had about an hour, because we were bound to see a few laddies at my local pub.

In short:

3rd rank: MacPro, USB-> MC1.2->MC3+"classic"+DIY 10M->Lynx Aurora->Neumann KH 420

2nd rank: MacPro, USB-> MC3+ USB->Lynx Aurora->Neumann KH 420

1st rank: MacPro, USB-> Acousense AFI->Lynx Aurora->Neumann KH 420

We used Apogee AES cables.

It is a bit hard to tell what made the Acousense even better than the new Mutec other than it sounded even more natural to me.

Did you try with DSD at all? I think the Aurora does not support higher than 192KHz, yes?

• 2 weeks later...
AFI-USB (one input/one output) is around 1'000 EUR excl VAT. Price inside EU is 1'170 EUR incl VAT.

AFIS-USB (four inputs/two outputs) is around 1'650 EUR excl VAT. Price inside EU is 1'980 EUR incl VAT.

Need to add at least one output cable for 50 EUR.

Pretty much independent of the OS.

Have they already released these products? I thought they were still producing them...

I'll check their site again.

Interesting comparison, I'm about to do the same comparison.

I have here a W4S Recovery and it has become completely redundant since I have my media server isolated from the network with an Emo Systems EN-70HD. Therefore I believe the Mutec wont improve SQ in my setup either. I am more and more convinced of isolation instead of reclocking and therefore my expectations are high with regard to the Acousence.

What I would like to know, do you have your Mac optimized for music playback (i.e. LPS, EMI mitigation, Ethernet isolation, etc.)? I have done all that is possible (except expensive sata cables, and as far as my knowledge goes) and try to determine if the galvanic isolation between music server and dac would bring further improvement in terms of SQ.

These network isolators, you just hook up the one ethernet cable from your computer/NAS and the other end cable goes straight to your router/modem/etc?

Is this how they work? Sorry to get a bit off-topic...