IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

• 6 months later...
I'm still in the research phase for upgrading my source, but I'm already sold on sending whatever I select to the MC-3+ USB then on to the Schiit Yggy via AES. I'm not interested in any native DSD recordings and selected the Yggy for its filter so I'll stay away from any software upsampling. This makes USB out of my source less important I believe. Can anybody theorize wether an old school setup like a Lynx AES PCIe card into the Mutec could be better than a well implemented USB source (like the upcoming Microrendu)? Is there a sound quality benefit to sending USB to the Mutec? I figured since I'm only planning on playing up to 192 PCM that I could skip USB altogether but still take advantage of the reclocking from the Mutec.

I don't have the same experience as One and a half with PCIe Cards.

The use of a Lynx AES PCIe has not only been very easy but also very fruitful for me.

The AES output level hasn't been an issue and the latest 64bit ASIO driver has subjectively brought a significant improvement over the previous 32Bit one.

One of the interesting aspect of the Lynx Card is the external clock input.

I have been using this with a master clock also linked to my Esoteric DAC.

Anyone thinking clocking/reclocking matters (and I believe there might be a few in this thread) will see the interest in this.

Now I'm thinking about using a Mutec to replace the master clock. With the MC-3+ USB that would offer 3 possibilities :

1 Using the Mutec to reclock the AES output of the PCIe card

2 Using the Mutec as a master clock for the PCIe Card and the DAC

3 Using the USB input of the Mutec and AES + a clock connections to the DAC

With the coming Mutec 10M clock, this should be even more interesting...

The only regret is that the Mutec doesn't handle Dual AES, which is currently what produces the best results between the PCIe and The Esoteric DAC.

That should put the option 2 as the best, but who knows...

Thanks - the E22 only offers two channels but is a newer design, seems pretty solid. However I have no experience using master clocks so have little knowledge. If my DAC does not have a master clock input how would the E22 (or AES16e) best be connected to the Mutec MC-3+ USB? Would the Mutec just act as a reclocker as you your #1 scenario or can the master clock still be used just between it and the Lynx (not the DAC)?

If your DAC doesn't have a clock input you can:

- Reclock the AES through the Mutec between the E22 and the DAC or

- Use the Mutec as a master clock for the E22 only

In that latter case, not sure whether it'd be possible or useful to still have the AES going through the Mutec.

You would need to try (and to try usb out to the Mutec also)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 30/04/2017 at 5:43 PM, Lerouge said:

Not only, but also including "MUTEC 1G clock technology and "Latest generation REVIVE-re-sync" and also better quality power supply... As I said before, just a mc3+usb but without sync connections to an external atomic clock ... frankly useless in hi-fi.

I wouldn't be so sure about the uselessness of a 10M clock in Hifi.

The MC 3+usb  can already be used as a master clock and there are still a few sources and DACs out there which can benefit from that: synchronising both source and DAC on the same clock through wordclock inputs/outputs. (Aurender, Mytek, Esoteric, DCS, ...)

If would be interesting, by the way, to compare the outcome, for the systems which can do both reclocking and synchronising.

If MUTEC were to finally put on the market a 10M clock able to outperform the current Rubidum 10M clocks for a lower price, I wouldn't be the only one to consider it.

And if such a clock could improve significantly a MC3+ (usb or not), I feel many out there would look into it.

We'll see!

43 minutes ago, *progear said:

Clocking your DAC by an external master clock will not help much in many cases. Instead, reclocking an AES/SPDIF signal is very likely to help with a lot of DACs - simply because the input section of the DAC - PLL has less work to do. 

Not sure I understand this: if an external clock is used, then no work is required from the input section of the DAC - PLL, that work is done by the external clock.

Same (better actually) if the source and the DAC are synced: no reclocking and/or DAC pll work is required.

The reclocking concept, to me, comes from the fact that most sources and DACs don't offer a wordclock inputs (even more true when done through usb), therefore you've to tap the timing info directly from the PCM flow, whereas it takes a different path, and is being reclocked, when going from source to DAC through a master clock.

Some then say that this different path may actually add more jitter than leaving it as is, but I can assure you that it's not the case in my system.

Put differently : where reclocking is relevant, alternative external clocking is de facto relevant. I don't know which method is more efficient or if a 10M clock makes a difference, but intuitively I'd think that when all parts of a system are synced, by the best possible clock, it should have an edge.