IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

i have the same feeling the first week with the Mutec , because my brain was used with a sounds and the new listening that brings the MC3 was somehow disturbing , like i didn't recognize my disc .

now i can't imagine not using it ..

Sometimes, we have spent years tuning our system to make things in our system bearable, in this case distortion, noise and jitter. When, finally, this pollution is taken away, we may be left with a system that disappoints, and may require adjusting our definition of what things should really sound like, and also be forced to now re-tweak accessories to this new sound.

I know it is very unlikely, but has anyone compared two Mutec 3+USBs against a BADA. It'll be interesting to know if the stacked Mutec's surpass the performance of the BADA. If that's the case it would be more frugal to simply go the BADA route. I know all this is subjective, however, I am yet to see a comparison of a single Mutec 3+ (not sure if USB version) vs. BADA where the Mutec comes out on top. I got an Intona a week ago, and I am planning on going with either the Mutec/BADA/HYdra-Z. I just need to do my homework thoroughly here before making the jump.

Hi Westy, I didn't get you had made this test with MC-3+ USB in between. If USB is an absolute must for you, the best I tried is this one afi(s) - USB module.

You might want to have a look at it. What makes it a must try in my opinion is the perfect galvanic isolation it offers, and again removes the need for all the Intona aso...

Just my 2c.

Could you breakdown the difference between the AFIS and the AFI. There has been mention of both on here, however I can't glean exactly what the differences between the two are (of course, the the AFIS definitely does more) in terms of audio playback. Any info will be much appreciated. Hopefully this is not a curated thread, and this inquiry is acceptable on here, otherwise, we can definitely take this to PM. Thanks in advance.

This thread has been very informative, and I enjoy the manner in which members on here are not tribal about what they are currently using. I'd also like to commend Julian on his professionalism display on how a member of the trade should act on threads that involve a product with vested interest.

Ordered a Mutec USB, should be here next week. Hopefully this will prove to be the end of my source rectification project. It will be paired with an Intona to TotalDAC USB cable behind it, then into an Yggy via AES. After this, the madness definitely ends there.

Just plugged in my MUTEC mc-3+ USB for the first time. Using Jriver MC20, I am going BNC to the Yggy. Problem is I can't for the life of me get any sound to play. I installed the driver and the Mutec is recognized. I cycle through the various device options in JRMC such as WASAPI/ASIO/DIRECT to no avail. Any help will be appreciated.

What was the key?

Checking out images showing which LEDs were on and mimicking those - the manual is poor at explaining things to my simpleton audiophile mind. Also, I had to unplug and plug the USB connection to my PC to jump start things, otherwise, all appeared normal but JRMC would error out once a file started playing.

Well, I am loathe to go into too much detail since it's been less than a week, and I'm not really using it with a my preferred cable type (AES), nor with one of the best quality (old Stereovox XV2 BNC holdover from my squeezebox days). I will be receiving an Audience AU24 SE AES/EBU cable on Monday, then the real shenanigans shall begin. I'll be working from home, so it will be full blown evaluation. For now, all I can say is, separation/increased intelligibility/increased harmonics and color/wider and deeper soundstage. It really feels like a new component, not just an add-on.

If you live close to Minnesota, we could work something out / actually meet up. I'd like to hear these results myself. It appears many who are mustacking are using a Mutec 3+ as the second clocker rather than the USB to save on cost, and also because you don't need the USB input for the second clocker as you'd be passing PCM through from the first one. Perhaps, someone with a second stacked 3+ would be more amenable to ship it out since, in my book, no Mutec = no Music! Lol.

Does it help that I used to live in Bloomington??? :)

I know I am asking a lot because I am in the same boat...no Mutec = crappy music. I am still hopeful that someone will take pity on this poor wannabe audiophile soul.

I think one of the Mustackers should oblige your request. I'll go into withdrawals, and start using some illegal substance by the time it gets back to me. At that point, I'll be breaking bad and will need to face some other kind of music!

What, if any, are people's preferences in terms of drivers in JRMC? I've been using the WASAPI driver so far, but kept getting static glitches and dropouts, so I switched to the ASIO driver last night, but haven't had enough time to evaluate it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I haven't tried WASAPI at all, didn't think of it. If there's an ASIO driver for any DAC, I take this anyday. The MC-3+USB has ASIO drivers as part of the install process for the driver and these should show up in the selection panel in Jriver as Mutec.....

As far as buffering is concerned, with HQ Player I get away with 5ms, the default for Jriver is 20ms? Try the lowest setting you can to avoid glitches and drop outs on heavy duty eg. DSD256. Then the rest of the sample rates will work out fine.

Thanks a lot. This was helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
The chain is completed, all SAEC cables, 90 Ohms for the USB and using AES3id BNC between the two Mutecs. Piano is about the best I've heard from my system, using Cookie Marenco's ancient Steinway as reference. Output from the Mutecs to the DAC is AES3 Canare with the Neutrik Gold connectors as before, which could undergo a change.

Heartily recommended!

Have you tried either the Curious cable or the TotalDAC-D1 USB cable? How do they compare?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I tried the Curious Cable, did not perform as well as everyone else has experienced. At the time, the PC (Lenovo m93p) was on a floating AC isolated supply which didn't help things. With a different AC source, the sound improved, but the Curious couldn't match the Nordost Blue Heaven USB as far as musicality went.

I have kept my eye on the totalDAC1-D1, it has impressive reviews, but have not purchased. I'd like to know a little more what's in the small epoxy box, but suspect it is a filter, or possibly a 'regen like' device, but not sure.

Many posters in Germany are using the AES3id cable out of preference for the Mutec/AES3 output, so thought to give this a try. The Nordost is available in a 1m length as a minimum, I needed shorter, the SAEC fitted the bill nicely at 0.3m. The computer being 25m away helps a lot, so any AC noise is down the other end of the house on a different supply to the audio system. The saving grace is the Intona Isolator and the Icron Ranger USB extender using CAT5e cable.

Ideally, the Icron Fiber optic version should be used, but it means an in the roof expedition, and the power supply 5V @ 3A is now at the receiving end, near the audio gear. This means a linear supply, at 3A is not cheap....another problem. (Shrug) trade offs!

What sounds best is really a system dependent issue, how far the PC is away from audio, the cabling both for power and signal, the routing of AC cabling, which type to use and so on, there's no hard or fast rule that applies. That's the frustration about this hobby, one small component can upset the apple cart.

Forgot to thank you for your response - thanks for the descriptive and candid feedback. A friend and I will have a chance to compare the curious loom and the TotalDAC-D1 cable soon.

Eagerly awaiting the software upgrade for the MUTEC. This is a question for Julian; will the software upgrade be reversible? Of course, I anticipate it should bring improvements, but based on my experience with audio software, upgrades do not always upgrade the sound. It'd be nice to know that there was a way to revert back to the old software if need be.

• 2 months later...

Can't wait for the update. It's such a bonus when a firmware update can actually give any degree of sonic improvement. I am happy to say that I, just like many others, who thought the likes of the µrendu and Rednet would render the Mutec surplus to requirements, have been pleasantly surprised. It's capabilities have rather been magnified by the addition of the µrendu in my system. I guess reclocking a better incoming signal simply produces better music. Keep up the good work.

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2017 at 9:34 AM, Kritpoon said:

I just converted my MC-3+ USB to use linear power supply (UpTone LPS-1 set @5V) and have been listening for a few days now. I found MC-3+ USB with LPS-1 gives nice improvement in clarity, added fluidity and musicallity. So far so good, no problems at all. IMHO very well worth the time and effort!

Can you link to the directions to perform this mod? It'll be greatly appreciated.