IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Perhaps a noob question...but would the Paul Pang V3/V4 USB card with its OCXO clock be similar in theory to using the Mutec between my PC and DAC? Of course which combination sounds better is another topic altogether.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I would rather compare Paul Pang USB with Uptone Regen, because both aim to deliver an immaculate USB signal at their respective output. The MC-3+ re-clocks a S/PDIF (or AES3) signal, the MC-3+ USB adds a USB converter. Which is the better solution (USB or S/PDIF) largely depends on your DAC ...

Thank you for the reply. What I don't understand is that both the Regen and Paul Pang usb have clocks in them. What would be the point of sending the music signal through the clock of a Regen/Paul Pang then through the clock of the Mutec right before the dac?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you for the reply. I understand now. I will trying out the Mutec soon.

Some people even use multiple re-clocking devices in a chain. The re-clocking can never remove every artifact, and multiple devices have a cumulative effect (something like a filter chain). I use a S/PDIF converter, which applies it's own clock to the signal, and in addition a Mutec MC-3+ before passing the signal into the DAC. The addition is noticeable, but less than the initial introduction of the S/PDIF converter. Signal reconditioning inside the DAC also has an influence on the result: less expensive DACs benefit more from re-clocking.

Other components:

• 2 months later...

Just curious which dealer people in the US are buying their MC-3+usb from (Markertech, Vintage King Audio, etc)? It looks like the prices are about that same $1000 so I want to go with the dealer with the best service, etc.

Other components:

I was/am debating between the Berkeley and Mutec 3+USB but decided on the latter because it seems to have more features I could use later on. Not sure if it sounds better but I will keep telling myself it does.

Other components:

so at the end is there someone feeding his MC3 with a external linear 6,3V DC supply , and report any benefit? it is just a matter not to pollute the others component on the system with the internal SMPS power supply ?

As I understand it the MC3+ has AC input. I actually thought about opening one up and seeing if I could bypass the AC and supply DC.

Other components:

Regarding the Mutec MC-3+ USB PSU, here's a topic over at the Tir Na HiFi forum with it opened up: Tír Na HiFi • View topic - Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock

Looks like there's a 5V meanwell SMPS inside, this one: http://www.meanwell.com/mw_search/NFM-15/NFM-15-spec.pdf

Not sure why both juanitox above and Sligolad over there mention it's 6.3V. Did you guys measure this or ask Mutec? Did Mutec modify the PSU or used some dial on it to up the voltage to 6.3V (it's specified to be adjustable between 4.5-5.5V) ?

Great link! This makes me feel very confident that I can bypass the internal PSU and use my HD Plex linear. Once I get my MC3+USB I will measure the actual voltage with my DMM. Now I am really excited about trying the Mutec.

Other components:

something make me curious , the MC3 USB can run from his own 1GhZ 1PS clock and some use them with 10MHZ external clock how can an external clock + clock wire length can be more precise than the dedicated internal clock with short path .

i mean just using it for playing usb input ( not for synchro clocking external source)

Good question. Maybe it has to do with the quality of the clock? The external one is more precise and consistent than the internal one?

Other components:

After all the above clock-talk one more belief:

The clock that matters most for music reproduction is that of the DAC.

I am in the market for a new DAC and this comment got me thinking that perhaps I should look for one that has a clock input so that I can experiment with using an external clock. When I had the Estoeric D3 DAC I used an external clock which resulted in a nice improvement in overall smoothness.

BTW, just ordered my MC3+USB from Markertech to be used mainly as a USB converter. I am really hoping it is a significant step up from my cheap Musical Fidelity Vlink.

Other components:

The Mutec converts both native DSD and DoP files to pcm before sending the signal to the DAC. Is the reason for converting the native DSD signal because only usb can handle the bandwidth? However, why does the Mutec also convert DoP? Is it a technical limitation? Is it because Mutec believes pcm sounds better than DoP?

Other components:

I thought it's not right what you said here but the manual indeed says this is the way of operation. I'm confused, Julian told us it would re-clock and bypass DoP as long as it is DoP64.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mutec-mc-3-a-17300/index4.html#post473562

Guess I'll just have to try and see what's the "truth" in practice. :)

Whatever way it works it would be nice if we would have a choice if it would convert to PCM or pass through DoP with re-clocking. Even DoP128 is technically possible for AES/EBU according to: DoP open Standard | DSD-Guide.com

edit; just tested it and it indeed converts DoP64 to either 44.1, 88.2 or 174.4 PCM (you can manually choose the desired sample rate)...

Thank you for testing. Julian, can you please verify that the intended operation is with DoP? Should the Mutec 3+ convert to PCM or just pass the reclocked DoP signal to the DAC?

Other components:

Adding this to the thread in hope that someone else will benefit.

Today I moved my Mutec USB to my main system. This audio server uses a Paul Pang v2 USB card. Hooked up the USB cable directly from the PPA to the Mutec. Everything else seemed good. With ASIO drivers pre-installed there was no audio device recognized in Windows(2012 Server). On a hunch I moved the cable to one of the on-board USB ports. The Mutec was now recognized. I then moved the cable back to the PPA and it worked!

The Mutec with USB to AES is a big upgrade over the USB with REGEN.

What I really would like to know is if there is any difference in sound with the Mutec connected to the Paul Pang versus onboard usb port? I've been wondering if the Mutec makes audiophile usb cards unnecessary.

Other components:

Yeah I was about to get the Paul Pang v4 usb but decided to get the Mutec instead. At least to me what 1 1/2 said above makes sense. However, PewterTA believes the Paul Pang v2 card does make a difference. Maybe the answer is a compromise. With the Mutec you don't need usb that reclocks the signal like the V3 and V4. But a good clean usb output like the V2 could help.

Other components:

Does anyone know if the Mutec requires power on the usb input? I have a split Lightspeed usb cable so I can choose to not use the power line if the Mutec does not need it. If the Mutec does not need the power, has anyone compared with and without power on the usb?

Other components:

but the more important for me is that the berkeley has a big linear power supply where the Mutec has a budget SMPS.

feed the Mutec MC3 with a fine linear supply will help not to re-inject HF power noise in all the system..

Have you actually tried to bypass the internal smps? The mod looks pretty easy so I intend to try this with my HDPlex linear power supply once I get the Mutec delivered

Other components:

LOL, thanks! "back from dead", I suppose ;-)

Hi there! Welcome back. Can you please confirm whether or not the 3+USB will pass through DSD64 without conversion to PCM? There is some confusion on this matter.

BTW, getting my 3+USB today! However, my amplifier is in for repair so I wont get to play with it for a few more weeks...maybe I will use my old Sonos ZP-100 as an amp? Man talk about getting desperate!

Other components:

Got my 3+USB (and the pen!). Wish I could play with it...waiting for my amp to be repaired...sigh....

Other components:

I just got my 3+usb and have spent the last few mins reading the manual but could not find an answer to my question. What I would like to do is have the 3+usb upsample by an even multiple of the input sample rate. For example, if the input is 44.1 or 88 I want to upsample to 176. If the input is 48 or 96 I want to upsample to 192. Though most of my music is 44.1 I do have high res music in the other sample rates and would prefer to upsample at an even multiple. Is this possible or does the 3+usb upsample only to 1 specified output sample rate regardless of the input sample rate?

Other components:

Hi tboooe,

The MC-3+USB does not pass through DSD64 without converting to PCM as this would either require re-clocking the native DSD signal or disabling the re-clocking stage entirely. If we were to disable the re-clocking, then there wouldn't really be a benefit to having the MC-3+USB in the chain. What exactly are you trying to do?

Julian

Thank you. What about DoP? Does the 3+usb convert to pcm? I read in one of your previous posts that it does pass through without converting. I would like to pass through dsd and dop directly to my dac without conversion.

Other components:

Thank you One and a half for this detailed reply. The MC-3+USB indeed does not offer upsampling capabilities.

Julian

Got it. So the sample rates that I can change on the 3+USB is related only to when DSD/DoP is converted to PCM right?

I need to RTFM a few more times to get my head wrapped around what this unit does!

Other components:

Got my 3+USB working with my flac files. Great! However, I have a few questions:

1. I cannot get DoP files to play with the 3+USB. I am using Minimserver to send DSF64 files converted to DoP via the USB input. I first manually change the input (Reference) so that the USB-DSD/DoP is selected (the middle two lights are on). However, I cant get music to play. The Clock In lights never turn on.

2. Is the Audio light for Status supposed to be on when the input is USB? According to the manual, this light only turns on for AES, Optical or Coaxial input?

Other components:

Got my 3+USB working with my flac files. Great! However, I have a few questions:

1. I cannot get DoP files to play with the 3+USB. I am using Minimserver to send DSF64 files converted to DoP via the USB input. I first manually change the input (Reference) so that the USB-DSD/DoP is selected (the middle two lights are on). However, I cant get music to play. The Clock In lights never turn on.

I played around some more last night and still no luck. Both the Kernel Streaming and ASIO Mutec driver didnt work. I should also clarify that I am using Minimserver and Jplaystreamer. I have Minimserver set to convert DSF files to DoP but the Mutec still wont see the input signal from the PC. Anyone else having this issue?

Other components:

Hi tboooe,

What mode do you have selected on the MC-3+USB?

Julian

I have it in INTERN and RE-CLK mode. I also made sure I changed the Reference to USB-DSD/DoP. Is that right?

Other components:

Hi tboooe,

What mode do you have selected on the MC-3+USB?

Julian

For whatever reason it works now! I just restarted my PCs and the Mutec a few times. DoP works perfectly! Thank you for the follow up.

Can you please verify what Mutec's plans are for DSD/DoP 64 files? In a previous post I think you mentioned that the 3+USB would reclock and pass the data on to the DAC but then in later posts that these file types will be transcoded to PCM first (as it is now). Will this be change in the next firmware upgrade?

Other components:

I really wanted to discover that I could just use the on-board USB straight to Mutec but so far have found the USB tweaks still help.

Let us know what you find...

Dang. That's what I am afraid of! Guess I'll be getting the PPA usb v4 soon!

Other components: