IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

hi,

just a quick report after receiving and testing the MC3+ : simply amazing...

There are only good remarks about it so I won't copy them.

I just wanted to mention that when you add it between your drive and the DAC you realise how the "timing" of the data you send to the DAC is THE critical point of digital audio. Such product allows the DAC to be fed correctly and it changes your rather good hifi in something that sounds like High End stuff :-)

Power supply is key point as well of course...

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I just posted on the thread related to the MC-1.2, but my feedback is relevant for all Mutec boxes :

CUT the internal SMPS of your Mutec => REPLACE it with a 5V power bank !

Mutec internal PS are really bad for hifi !

Power it with a fairly simple & cheap 5V power bank and you'll be able to hear REALLY what a Mutec can do : a really really good job, very far from what a non-tweaked Mutec can do.

=> here is the info :

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mutec-mc-1-2-a-24774/#post462643

Just follow the links, use google translate if you need so, and you'll know everything about what you MUST do with your Mutec.

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julian,

I must admit a few days after I wrote this post, that the words I used are too strong. I APOLOGIZE sincerely about that.

It is based on my own experience and some others confirmed.

The pretty high sensitivity of my setup to a dead clean source (vs digital & EMI) maybe the reason why I had to tweak My MC-1.1+. Tweak that I did not find relevant when I own the MC-3+ on a previous setup which was far less sensitive to clean source.

My point was to tell that Mutec products produce pretty good products, but they can sound at top level by changing the power supply.

My post focused on what I felt & experienced to be the "parts to tweak to enhance the SQ of the products".

My post was not to say Mutec products are bad.

Mutec products ARE GOOD & KEY FOR AUDIO.

Price/performance ratio is good. Functions offered by your boxes are smart & motherboards are top quality.

My MC-3+ did a great job when I used it.

My current MC-1.1+ is doing a tremedous job in my current setup where I need a TOP NOTCH splitter to feed 2 full digital amplifiers with top clean digital stream.

But on this very sensitive setup I needed to tweak it.

I did not think at all about sending it back to my seller, no way !

The MC-1.1+ did the job, but it sounded harsh thru my setup. Then the trouble was not the top good motherboard & functionalities, but as it is often the case in digital audio : when it sounds harsh > clean the power supply > and sounds is OK afterwards.

This is what I did.

Please note that after I posted about this trouble, another guy, with another setup, did not complaint about harshness with its MC-1.1+. Thus it seems it is very function of the setup.

Of course, I did it with care, all that kind of change must be done if you know about these electronic products.

My MC-1.1+ lost its warranty a few days after I bought it, I knew about that... but is part of my gear for a long time now.

I just wanted to make it clear that of course I keep trusting Mutec products quality, no doubt about it.

Rgds

• 1 year later...
I am considering modifying my Mutec MC3+USB to allow connection of a decent LPSU. I must admit that I am a little reluctant to perform surgery on an item still under guarantee, but I'm guessing these things should be reliable enough that this fairly low risk. The question is, is it worth the risk and effort? Any advice from those that have tried this?

Hi

I've done it on a Mutec MC-1.1+ (digital splitter, worth 350eur). Not the same price than MC-3+, but I took off the internal PS and replaced it by a DIY : much better. I don't regret "no guarantee anymore" and "impossible to resell it", as SQ has improved.

Anyhow, Mutec products are top notch, and I'm not ready to sell mine anyway as it is a key device in my setup.

But, I must admit that the big improvement I got, seems to be related to a very bad & noisy current in my flat. This is why Modix had a small instead of a big improvement.

Mutec products are great anyway, but any good product can be optiimized in some extend.

I would say :

- if you're very happy with your MC3+

- thus, don't plan at all to resell it (or simply you don't care about the few pennies you'd get by resell it)

- plan to give it a top efficient external PS (see my sign. to have an idea of the DIY PS I use : much better than the batteries I used previously ; cheap (50Eur), cold, fun to make)

=> go for it !

My 2 cents

Rgds