IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

For in the US I got all my Mutec gear from Bob Reardon of Sonicus.net. He's a great guy and will answer any of your questions and I believe, because I was on the fence, he said he'd take the units back within a week or two if I didn't like them.... needless to say they are sitting comfortably in my home still and I think they are some of the best 'upgrades' I've done to my system. I have the MC1.2 and 3+ with thoughts of doing multiple 3+s... hee hee.

Bob Reardon

PH: 617-623-5581 ext.111

Cell: 617-596-8132

www.sonicus.net

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the MC-1.2 + MC-3+ would be the same thing as just using the MC-3+ USB? I mean in terms of performance? I know they are doing the same thing, but with two boxs vs. single box of the MC-3+ USB.

I'm wondering if I should replace the MC-1.2 with the MC-3+ USB and then still keep the MC-3+ in the mix to do cascading reclocking... then I can use the MC-1.2 somewhere else.

I wish Mutec would give us loyal customers a discount to upgrade! :) *hint hint* *wink wink* ha ha!

• 4 weeks later...

The Mutec is definitely better off of the Paul Pang USB over the motherboard USB. I went back and forth multiple times to see if it was just me or definitely things were better. There's a smoothness and better instrument separation with the paul pang usb card.

The Mutec stack I have is definitely better then the V-Link, so don't worry about that either!

• 1 month later...

Well I finally upgraded from my stack of MC-1.2 & MC-3+ to adding the MC-3+ USB in place. So far I have to say the MC-3+USB is definitely better than the old combination. This was with in an hour of using the new one, I noticed clarity that had not been there, detail "into" the instruments. There was also a greater sense of depth to the music and it was easier to focus on each individual instrument. So I definitely liked that!

I then, out of curiosity, ran the AES out into my MC-3+ and noticed a slight improvement with this set up. There was a slight realism to the instruments that I didn't get with just the MC-3+USB by itself. As a test I ran a coaxial cable to my DAC straight from the MC-3+USB and continued with AES from the MC-3+. Going back and forth there was a difference in the realism of them stacked vs. not. As another test, I swapped the cables around so that the stack had the coaxial and still noticed a difference for the better.

So no, I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the stack and just figure out what to do with the MC-1.2.... I was thinking that I'd sell the MC-1.2 and MC-3+ to a good home, but now I'm not sure I want to part with the MC-3+.....

The next revelation came when I grabbed some bluejeans cables (as I didn't have any) and started using the word clock from the MC-3+USB on the MC-3+.... THAT'S when I noticed there was definitely with out a doubt a level of difference that is completely worth mention! I can't believe how things sound now. To say they are better, it's true...but there's also a smoothness to the sound and as I can only describe, an ease of listen-ability. In meaning that, to my ears, I just sit back and everything sounds "correct." I don't feel like I have to "think" as hard about hearing everything, it's just there for my enjoyment to find.

The bass definitely has increased with quickness and authority. I've always had a slightly lean sounding system due to some room issues and well, needing a better amp (and DAC couldn't hurt either). But I've lived with it for many years...but now, it feels like there's a subwoofer added to my system, maybe another octave or two lower my system seems to reach. Now it's NOT the same as adding some subs...but it's the similar effect.

Overall, I have to say this is a great treat to have in my system. It makes me realize how good my system is that I can really hear very small changes in my system as it'll reveal pretty much whatever I want it to. Should be noted that I'm running both Mutec units off my PS Audio P10 so I'm giving them very clean power and also using an iFi Micro USB3 reclocker (running off the 9v HD-Plex Linear PSU for the computer) in front of the Mutec gear also. So really I have many levels of reclocking going on (on top of the PP V2 USB and TXCO MB clock).

If there's one problem with Digital Audio, it's clocking... that's the real secret to getting AMAZING sound.

On top is the MC-3+USB, middle is the MC-1.2 and on the bottom is the MC-3+. Not sure why the picture rotated when I uploaded it I saved it vertically.

20160409_235937.jpg

Blue cables (Word Clock and AES) are Bluejeans Cables. Power cables are BlackSands Audio Violet MKIIs (Original Versions).

20160409_235953.jpg

Great write up there!

Tip. To get that little extra performance out, see the red tipped RCA coax cable on the MC-3+USB? Use the supplied BNC to RCA adapter and connect to the BNC S/PDIF Out 3 connector instead.

Why did you have to go and ruin things for me... ha ha.

So I did try what you suggested, I ran the BNC SPDIF out of the MC-3+USB and into the CO on the MC-3+... and I think I like it better than the AES connection.... I've gone back and forth multiple times and to me its just a little bit more real and with slightly more detail (It's very close and going back and forth took me about 8 times to realize I was hearing more with the BNC CO). I don't know what exactly it is, but I'm liking this connection better then the AES Balanced one.

I wonder why this is... could it be the 75 Ohm vs. the 100 Ohm? Is the CO better than the AES on the two units? I've always pretty much assumed that the AES was the way to go... but I think I might stick with this. Course it could also (though I don't know exactly why) have something to do with a slightly better RCA cable being used in between the two than the AES BlueJeans Cable....!??!

Crazy! I think I'll keep listening like this then switch back and demo my 5 second track multiple times again with going back and forth between the two. Might also grab a BNC to RCA terminated cable as well just to have a nice one foot cable between the two than the 1 meter cable I have now....

Thanks for the suggestion One and a Half!!!

I can say that improvements were definitely heard with adding my iFI Micro USB 3.0.... so you can definitely improve on the USB input of the Mutec MC-3+ USB. It was noticeable enough that I didn't even have to unplug it after the first "without and with" test I did. I'm using Paul Pang's V2 USB card (which will get updated to V4 at some point)... so both things (and my WireWorld USB cables) or all of it definitely improves the sound.

I also have the 25Mhz OCXO Motherboard clock which helped out a lot as well.... so everything in the Digital Audio realm is really effected by timing...

Which is why Julian should send me a Ref-10 to test out! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So... interesting turn of events...... At least in my mind as it goes against what I've thought, but never really tested out.

I just recently (as of last night) got myself a Bricasti M1 (used) and got it into my system. So far... it's a really nice upgrade to my modified NAD M51 that I have. The Bricasti wins... hands down... but the NAD is right along the same lines. But that's neither here nor there.

So with the Bricasti, it supports DSD. So I figured great! I finally get to play with some DSD files. I had played around with some before on a friends equipment and on my system and it sounded great. I have a bunch of DSD files, but never DSD, so I would convert to PCM and send them out on the fly via Foobar SACD plugin.

So with the new DAC, I'm using an iFI Micro USB 3.0 so I can have both the Mutec stack (MC3+USB & MC-3+) and the Bricasti USB at the same time. So the iFI is reclocking and sending to the Bricasti... and to the Mutec, just have to switch things around in Foobar to decide on which to play to when sending DSD across.

Well having gone back and forth and back and forth and taking the suggestions from here, I set Foobar to output DSD128 to both sides and then (on the Mutec stack) to output at 176.4.

So from the Bricasti and it's USB in playing native USB and some sample tracks... I was impressed. It sounded good the detail was there, things were smooth and enjoyable. No complaints WHAT so ever. It was very comparable to the best PCM stuff I have if not slightly better (since I wasn't comparing DSD to PCM either one could be "better."

Now, from the Mutec (first test was just with the MC-3+ USB)... Wow... this sound really good... There's a level of quality and synergy above the DSD played by itself. Everything is more in focus, instruments are better positioned and the sound stage has more 3-D depth to it than playing just straight DSD into the Bricasti. Things are much smoother, the music just has a sense of flowing out of the speakers. It's really the first time I've just heard "music" from my system. This is the whole time, while doing a comparison of the then native DSD playback and through the Mutec.

AND NOW.... I throw in the Mutec MC-3+ (so stacked)......

O

M

F

G

!

I have never heard this level of music from my system. I say music because while I've played all the same stuff and converted it via Foobar to PCM and played it through many times.... this is no longer digital, it's no longer a recording, it's MUSIC! Pure unadulterated MUSIC coming through! It's all the smoothness and musicality one typically gets with a nice Vinyl system with the (more often than not) level of detail of a digital system. All this is then wrapped around a level of realism that has never appears in my system and to be honest, hearing some HIGH end systems ($250K+ types)... honestly... have not given me the same thing.

Now I'm not saying my system is better than a $250K+ system (well for one second let me just enjoy saying it - yes my system IS better!!!! -- there I got it out... ha ha), but I could not imagine what one of those systems could do with this kind of quality going to them.

I'm of the proponent that what goes in, comes out. The better in, the better out on pretty much 99.8% of any system I've heard.

So I'm going to say it... and probably be safe to not have a huge debate on hands... but DSD converted to PCM and reclocked twice... HANDS DOWN is better than just DSD by itself. PCM is easily the equal if not better than DSD (and that's only because DSD is so hard to re-clock) and I can't truly do an apples to apples on that.

The huge grin and smile on my face is truly ear to ear with what I'm hearing!!!

Now the fun part will be to get the rest of the Pittsburgh Audio Group over to do some back and forth between the two and see what they all prefer. I'd be hard pressed to say any of them would like DSD as it is... or anyone for that matter... it's just that much better when you let the Mutec stack convert it over to PCM and re-clock and output it!

I'm in heaven now and got way more listening to do... and need more DSD I can convert to PCM. ;) ha ha.

Crap pewter! Now i need to save for another Mutec! Question...how do you connect the two Mutecs? Via XLR (AES) or BNC (SPDIF)? I was considering getting an external 10M rubidium clock for my Mutec but wonder if getting a second Mutec makes more sense.

I started off with AES.... but I really feel the BNC SPDIF is better, there's just a little more detail to the signal. I did try the AES3/11id bnc and it's the same as the SPDIF BNC, but for me it's louder which I didn't like, probably in my mind it seemed more compressed due to being louder. So I switched back to the SPDIF BNC to run between the two.

I have a DIY Rubidium clock, but it's at a shop being tested to make sure everything is in tip-top shape. Hopefully I'll get it back at some point here soon to put into my system.

Course I'm still waiting on Mutec to send me their's so I can play with it. ha ha. ;)

My Vote is two Mutec's with a Rubidium clock. :D

• 3 months later...

Just in case anyone has firmware 1.02 on their MC3+, I just upgraded and the only way to do it is to use the 1.01 to 1.03 firmware file first, the Update Software will show the update of current firmware version to 1.03, close it off then open it again and use the 1.02_1.03 to 1.10 firmware file. It'll show current version at 1.10 and then you can power cycle the MC3+ USB and it'll keep the firmware.

I kept getting errors when I just tried to use the 1.02_1.03 to 1.10 firmware file.

If you go to Start -> Run, then copy and paste this in, it should open up for you:

"c:\program files\MUTEC_Driver\MUTEC_USB_Audio_Driver\MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe"

You'll have to remove the space in MUTECUSB AudioDfu.exe, it should be MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe, but for some reason the webpage puts a space there, yet when I edit it, there is no space?!?

If it doesn't open then the file doesn't exist there and re-installing the drivers should put the needed files there.

• 1 month later...