IGNORED

DSD and Mac's

longbowbbs

I have been using Amarra for some time and I love it. However, with my recently upgraded W4S DAC-2 DSDse, I need to find another option until Amarra get's DSD capability. What is everyone using to play their DSD files on their Mac based music systems?

Also, what download services have a good selection of DSD music files?

Thanks to all

-Eric

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

I have been using Amarra for some time and I love it. However, with my recently upgraded W4S DAC-2 DSDse, I need to find another option until Amarra get's DSD capability. What is everyone using to play their DSD files on their Mac based music systems?

Also, what download services have a good selection of DSD music files?

Thanks to all

-Eric

Audirvana Plus is the best player for DSD on a Mac.

To get DSD downloads:

Where can you find DSD Music Downloads? | DSD-Guide.com

Good luck,

Roch

Thanks all! How is everyone finding the DSD playback quality vs FLAC DL'd from HDTracks or WAV and AIFF ripped from CD?

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

With respect to everyone's opinion, I find Pure Music to sound much better than A+ for DSD.

Quit using A+ some time ago. Unfortunate because I find it to be more stable and easy to use.

Coincidentally had a long listening session this past Sat. night. Guest brought over some files and so we played them with A+ so we didn't have to wait for the bookmark files. Continued listening to A+ for some time until later when I thought things didn't sound right, switched back to PM and everything was more dynamic, more detailed, more air, more exciting, more live etc. I don't get the adoration for A+.

I listen to Amarra if I'm listening to PCM and PM for DSD. Here's hoping that Amarra supports DSD soon. If they use PCM conversion to do it, well we'll see. I suppose that would please a majority of users who don't yet own a DSD native DAC.

I'd urge you to trial both and come to your own conclusion.

With respect to everyone's opinion, I find Pure Music to sound much better than A+ for DSD.

Quit using A+ some time ago. Unfortunate because I find it to be more stable and easy to use.

Coincidentally had a long listening session this past Sat. night. Guest brought over some files and so we played them with A+ so we didn't have to wait for the bookmark files. Continued listening to A+ for some time until later when I thought things didn't sound right, switched back to PM and everything was more dynamic, more detailed, more air, more exciting, more live etc. I don't get the adoration for A+.

I listen to Amarra if I'm listening to PCM and PM for DSD. Here's hoping that Amarra supports DSD soon. If they use PCM conversion to do it, well we'll see. I suppose that would please a majority of users who don't yet own a DSD native DAC.

I'd urge you to trial both and come to your own conclusion.

Unfortunately I can't have an opinion on Pure Music playing DSD, as always this software is very buggy and complicated (to my taste). I could not run it playing DSD. But this is just my opinion.

Audirvana Plus is a breeze playing PCM & DSD until DSD128, if your DAC is capable. Last A+ 1.5.6 version even supersede previous versions regarding SQ.

Roch

Since the poster is asking specifically about DSD playback and you "can't have an opinion on Pure Music playing DSD", I'm not sure how you determine that "Audirvana Plus is the best player for DSD on a Mac".

Your opinion stated as a declaration of fact when you've not completely tried the alternatives is not helpful to an open discussion.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I am asking since I upgraded my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 to the DSDse version. Previously I was primarily using Amarra to listen to uncompressed AIFF or AIFF/FLAC I purchased from HDTracks. The Amarra folks are working on DSD, but since they are not there yet I need to find something that will allow me to explore this format. I have a lot of SACD's I play with my Denon DVD-5900, but I do a lot more listening via the MacMini and the DAC-2.

The other challenge is finding a good source for DSD encoded files. If there is something akin to iTunes or HDTracks that represents DSD that would be handy.

Since the poster is asking specifically about DSD playback and you "can't have an opinion on Pure Music playing DSD", I'm not sure how you determine that "Audirvana Plus is the best player for DSD on a Mac".

Your opinion stated as a declaration of fact when you've not completely tried the alternatives is not helpful to an open discussion.

OK,

After losing a lot of time to achieve running Pure Music playing DSD made SQ comparison to A+. To my ears/brain system A+ is the clear winner. I never tried JRiver for the Mac, but yes for Windows and also believe A+ is better.

To the OP, there is no DSD tracks on iTunes or HDTracks available now.

Roch

Some sources for DSD:

Channel Classics

2L

Highresaudio.de (only a handful)

Bluecoast records

Cybele Records

DSDfile

Thanks Musicophile!

Guest brought over some files ......

...anyone remember the days when guests used to arrive with LPs under their arms? Maybe this is why people are offering me a seat on buses these days!

Marc

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions"

...anyone remember the days when guests used to arrive with LPs under their arms? Maybe this is why people are offering me a seat on buses these days!

Marc

Wait till the 40 something folks start calling you sir. ;-)

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Wait till the 40 something folks start calling you sir. ;-)

I had a client tell me he turned 40 Friday....I just had to shake my head and remember when....Geez....

I had a client tell me he turned 40 Friday....I just had to shake my head and remember when....Geez....

I teach at a university and I have shirts that are older than some of my students...

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Shoes too!

Some sources for DSD:

Channel Classics

2L

Highresaudio.de (only a handful)

Bluecoast records

Cybele Records

DSDfile

Add to this Acoustic Sounds with a really great selection of "popular" DSD titles (starting yesterday).

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Re the original question, you could also try converting the files to DoP encapsulated FLAC files. Not sure how it would interfere with Amarra doing its magic sound quality wiae.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/playing-dsd-any-players-including-squeezebox-touch-16346/

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

I added Audirvana+ to the MacMini software mix. I have grabbed some great DSD files from 2L - the Nordic Sound and the new Acoustics Sounds Super HiRez | Acoustic Sounds. The sound is like being plugged into the mixing board!

IMG_1086.jpg

On a separate note, I have been playing with a couple of Mac Minis for a few years, and bought Amarra, Pure Music and Audirvana. All of which I found to have its own bugs and annoyances.

The I decided to go back to my original Squeeebox platform. Since my Transporter is long gone, I bought a Squeezebox Touch and installed the USB Enhanced Digital mod and never looked back. The Squeezebox platform is so much more robust, never misses a beat with all hires and DSD/DoP files. Since then my Mac mini has been sitting on the shelf looking pretty.

By the way the Squeezebox Touch costs a fraction of Amarra. Does it sound as good? Not too sure, good enough for me.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

I have found that using the iPad remote app and the Mini makes it an easy combo for playing whatever I want without having to get up and mess with the Mini directly. I can load up Amarra and never touch the keyboard again for that session. Handy!

Perhaps the OP is not aware that there are other sources of DSD files, specifically ripping SACDs using a modded PS3. A number of us have been doing this for the past few years with excellent results. To the OP's question on relative sound quality: depending on the source, many DSD files sound much better than the PCM downloads I have purchased. That is just my experience. Enjoy!