IGNORED

Update on Lynx AES16 cable

JUst in case anyone might be interested. My local Cardas dealer came through with Cardas cable. I showed him a cable made by Redco.com almost 2 months ago. He sent Redco cable back to Cardas and Cardas rewired the XLR cable with its Neutral Reference cable for me, factory terminated, sealed and all. My only mistake was that at the time I did not know that my Esoteric DAC would take 24/176 on singel XLR so I asked them to do dual XLR for me. Since there is not much room, Cardas used single Neutral Reference cable and split one end to 2 XLR for me and left Redco BNC cable for clock in alone as asked.

I just got the cable and will burn them in the next week or so and see how it compares to my (someone else's) home made cable with Kimber silver AGSS internal wiring cable.

PS I wished I was not so hasty in posting this. I just hooked up the Cardas wire and it did not work :(

My Lynx card could not detect external clock and My D-05 will not sync to the computer either in single or

dual wire mode :(

Something is not going right. Switched back to my old cable, everything was working fine :(

Hi,

I don't think the D-05 can take 24/176 on a single XLR, unlike the AES16.

Do you talk about a specific clock connection on BNC cable between the AES16 and the D-05 or synchro through the AES/EBU cable?

Please let us know the end of the story, I'm planning to do something similar (don't have the AES16 yet though.)

I have a D-05/G-03X/Lynx AES16e. I'm clocking both the D-05 and the Lynx from the G-03X, and I'm running the stock Lynx cable in dual XLR mode. I leave the G-03X at 176.4 for most of my listening.

I just unplugged XLR1 and switched the D-05 to read XLR2 and it works fine at 176. Of course, I'm only getting one channel but it should work for you. . .

HTH. . .

Bob

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

D-05 can definitely takes 24.176 via single XLR. If you unclick the dual wire out box on Lynx controlller and select XLR1 or XLR2 on D-05 (depending on your connection) D-05 will show XLR1- 176 or XLR1 -192 if you play 24/176, 24/192 tracks and both L and R channel will come through.

The clock connection I talked about is via the LYnx BNC cable. I tried reconnecting everything again last night with the same result, no clock signal and could not lock signal to D-05 at all. May be something is loose inside. I will have to take it back to my Cardas dealer today and have them check it out.

Soldering job inside HD26 jack is not very difficult but it is very tight. I have someone made a cable for me locally with Kimber internal hook up AGSS wire (using 3 braided wire make it look pretty much the same as their AGDL digital cable as far as I could tell as the description of the cable, material etc seemed the same). This work out to be the best cable that I tried yet, much better than Lynx stock cable and Redco/Morgami wire and quite a bit better than another home made cable with Audience wire.

"D-05 can definitely takes 24.176 via single XLR. If you unclick the dual wire out box on Lynx controlller and select XLR1 or XLR2 on D-05 (depending on your connection) D-05 will show XLR1- 176 or XLR1 -192 if you play 24/176, 24/192 tracks and both L and R channel will come through."

Hi good news, I didn't know about this. Looks like I'm goign to keep this DAC a long time.

The only issue left is that, with the G-03x that I also have, you need to manually change the sample rate on it if you have a 16/44 file and then a 24/96, unless you have it all upsampled by your source (but I'd like the D-05 to do that) or unless you can synchronise the source at "100Khz".

Do you guys know if you can do that "100Khz" synchro with the Lynx AES16?

I don't know about 100kHz since I don't have G-03x.

This whole clock output/input is quite confusinig. As far as I know, dCS masterclock can put out only 44.1 but its upsampler unit, transport etc all can upsample to whatever frequency. I wish there is a way for Lynx

Depending on the recordings but generally, since upsampling by window tend to soften the sound a bit, I find that some recordings that are a bit harsh when playing at its native resolution do benefit from upsampling. At D-05 end, I rather use conversion to DSD rather than upsampling function so most of the time, I switch the clock output from D-05 to match files being played except for some recordings that I preferred upsampling by computer before converting to DSD by D-05.

It is a bit of a pain since I don't have remote for D-05 :(

In the mean time, I am waiting to try out Berkeley alpha DAC. The first batch just left the US for our local dealer earlier this week. Since Berkeley rejected using external clock stuff, I guess I won't have to worry about changing clock input/output every so often but I will also lose the ability to play SACD (luckily I only have a few discs).

In the mean time, Cardas cable went back to the dealer. They will send it back to Cardas so it will be awhile before I hear anything back from them.

I agree that manually changing the clock frequency on the G-03X is a pain. That's why I leave it at 176.4, upsampled to DSD. I wish they had made this unit remote-controllable. . .I believe someone with Apple Script knowledge could figure out how to close/open iTunes when the frequency is changed since it changes automatically in Audio/Midi. Not a complete remote solution but at least iTunes wouldn't be doing any up/down sampling.

As for the universal clock frequency of 100KHZ, I couldn't get it to synch with my Lynx card. However, I believe the issue is with Mac Audio/Midi and not the Lynx. When I change the clock frequency on the G-03X to 100KHZ, Audio/Midi reads it as 100.something (don't recall the exact frequency) and I can't get a lock. I haven't spend any time trying to resolve this. . .too busy listening to music. The Esoteric/Mac/Lynx setup has given new life to all my old music, and the new stuff in hi-rez is absolutely fantastic!

HTH. . .

Bob

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

I was incorrect about the 100KHZ issue being a Mac audio/midi problem. Upon closer inspection I realized that the Lynx does not display a sample rate option when clocked at 100KHZ. I contacted Lynx Tech Support and here's the response I received:

"100kHz isn't a standard clock rate for any audio device that I am aware of, so no we don't support that rate.

Thank you,

David A. Hoatson

Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.

Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer"