IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

It shares some of the same hardware. However, the Sonic Orbiter software has additional selectable output modes, updates and much more sophisticated code included compared to the VAMP...

Jesus R

Thank you for the reply. I'm really only interested in using Squeezelite from the LMS, just exploring options and wondering if the SOtM has a better or faster processor or more memory which might lead to better SQ.

(Ayre QB-9 DSD): if I turn the SOTM mini server on when the DAC is already switched on the playback doesn't start, even if the zome appears in JRiver. The DAC is also correctly listed in the system status page, but the playback simply doesn't start. Restarting the DAC fixes the problem.

Any suggestion?

This sounds like a common issue with any player using Squeezelite as the same behavior happens with my setup: Squeezelite player and Wavelength Brick DAC. In DACs designed to go into our out of standby based on USB input, something about the way these types of players operate does not trigger them properly. My player is not a SOtM Mini Server by the way but it operates on a similar platform. With your QB-9 leaving everything on all the time is only a power waste, but with my Brick leaving it on all the time is not an option as I'd like maximum life from the tube.

I've been communicating with Jesus and others bout this behavior by the way. According to Gordon Rankin (Wavelength designer) the DAC is designed to be connected to a PC or Mac USB output and to go into standby when the computer goes into sleep mode. These small Linux/Squeezelite players do not have a sleep mode, apparently, unless someone can engineer one into the OS...

• 4 weeks later...