IGNORED

Import of DVD-Audio tracks

So I just received the 3 disc Seal best of 1991-2004 and converted to AIFF the 2 CD's for use on my Mac->Transporter->DAC setup. Listened to it, sound quality is solid (love the music). But then I decided to try the DVD as I had no experience with DVD Audio (I use a basic Sony Blu Ray S350 with an Illuminations cable into the Meridian Processor/DAC), and WOW! the 24/48 tracks playing in 2-channel were a massive improvement in sound quality. So.... since I'm a first timer at this, how do I rip the DVD Audio tracks to my computer so I can stream through Transporter (instead of using the DVD disc, which is the whole point of recently going stream). I just see the normal VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders (although the audio folder over 5GB on this disc).

Also, anyone know if the Seal disc is a "DVD-Audio" disc or just a DVD disc with audio tracks (both 2 channel and 5.1)?

Thanks for help!

Be careful with product called DVD Audio *** They often are referring to the Audio portionof a DVD-Video disc. So far the best way to rip Audio from a real DVD-Audio disc is DVDAExplorer.

I have a feeling this Seal disc is actually DVD-Video since it is 24/48. It is also possibly your player is resampling to 24/48 as well.

On second thought, I highly doubt your Sony Bluray player would be able to play DVD-Audio discs since it was once a competing format. This would mean the disc is just DVD-Video with audio. I could be wrong though.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It seems to be a DVD that has both video and audio. DVDAExplorer was definitely a far superior program to better understand the contents of the disc. With it, I was able to find both the surround and stereo versions of the audio programs. Good news is that I found the Title with 2 channel stereo audio with native 24/88.2 (in MLP format) which I was able to extract and convert to WAV (the same title was also in 5.1 which I ignored). Interestingly, the 2nd title (acoustic tracks), were only added at 24bit/44.1 (vs 88, in both the stereo and 5.1 versions).

Given that this DVD has MLP format 24/88.2 audio and video it appears to be some sort of hybrid. I have a meridian processor (568.2) and for some reason the bitstream was only brought in as 2 channel instead of the 5.1 when played through my dvd player (but that may be a limitation of the sony)

It looks like you've found the DVD-Audio program on this disc. By the way, if you have the original case for this set, the contents are explained on the back cover (though tersely, in fine print). It says "Audio Content: Advanced Resolution 5.1, Advanced Resolution 2.0, Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1". As you say, it's a sort-of hybrid disc, not too uncommon among discs sold as DVD-Audio. I'll echo the support for DVDAExplorer, which found the advanced resolution programs. I'll also echo the comment that your Sony player does not support DVD-Audio (no Sony player ever has). No doubt it found the Dolby Digital programs, though I'm surprised it only played back the 2-channel program. It ought to recognized the Dolby 5.1 material as well. Finally, I don't know of any Blu-Ray players currently sold that also support DVD-Audio but upcoming Denon and Oppo players are supposed to have the capability.

you're right. in the very fine print it says "Advanced Resolution 5.1, Advanced Resolution 2.0, Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1". If I can extract the Advanced Resolution 2.0 from DVD-A's and stream through Transporter definitely won't be spending the $$ on a different player. Armed with this, it would suggest that I could purchase additional DVD-A's and safely (relatively) know that I could use the streams for the Transporter which is great.

Thanks!

Yes, as posted on another thread about ripping DVD-A MLP layers, I use DVDAExplorer to rip 24/96 and stream to my Modwright Transporter. The sound is fantastic. You can also rip 24/192 and keep for your next DAC (and/or convert to 24/96 with DBpowermap, etc.). Of course, I'm also referring to 24/88.2 and it's 2X multiple 24/176 (Beck's Sea Change in 24/88 is quite good; of course, not as good as it is in 5.1 hirez mch.... :) ).

Well... there might be a couple of hiccups. First, good luck finding many DVD-A's for purchase. You know, the format is moribund, if not dead just yet. Is there any record label that's still releasing these? The long-ish list on ebay is comprised mostly of dregs, and some obsecenely overpriced out-of-print discs. Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds sell a fair number (relatively speaking), and you can pick up a few at other online retailers but often these retailers don't seem to know the difference between DVD-V and DVD-A. Second, while I still use and recommend DVDAExplorer, it ain't perfect. Safe maybe, but it doesn't always work. I'd say that on roughly 5% of my DVD-A discs, it has choked - either refusing to output anything, or outputting some ok tracks and some badly mangled garbage. No pattern in those mis-fires that I can tell. Otherwise, I think your plan is alright. Happy ripping!

I agree with you Ted B. I just ripped my DVD-A of Beck's Seachange, sounds great through 2-channel but not as good as 5.1! I also used DVDA explorer with no problems. Also ripped the full 5.1 channels as a backup just in case something happens to the disc.

HP Pavillion> J River Media 15> Arcam RDAC > NAD C162> NAD 2400 > Totem Sttafs

Yes, just use DVDAExplorer to rip to 2 channel wav (DVD-A stereo tracks range from 24/48 all the way to 24/192), then convert to format dujour in iTunes or some format converter.

Just to roll back to the disc what started this thread ;)

I wasn't sure if my brain 0.9 Beta kernel was giving me the right information about the content of this disc, and so I went on to do a new rip (with dvdaexplorer) to take an closeup look, what the material is made of in reality.

My software kernel seems - other than the beta status would lead to suggest - just working fine.

The 88,2khz/24Bit tracks seem not to have any content over 22 khz. They are upsampled 44,1 khz material. I've checked some of the stereo trakcs and also a pack of the multitracks to evaluate this (but currently not all of them). The "normal album" seems to be very compressed, too. The acoustical version - which is only 44,1khz/24Bit anyway - does sound (and "look") much better.

Pitfalls seem to be everywhere.

But it was great to come back to this album after a veeery long time - will do a nate-night listenig this evening with the acoustic part ...

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I didn't find any listening improvement with the main disc as presented on DVD when I listened, but maybe it's just in my head, but I did hear an improvement and different sound when listening to the acoustic disc #2 pulled from (24/44.1 instead of 16/44.1) - deeper soundstage, better resolution (although very slightly edgy/more harsh/brighter highs). The content of the first disc was less interesting for me musically, but I had not heard the acoustic versions before I so enjoyed hearing these tracks. Will be curious to hear your thoughts

Hello!

So, I`ve listened to the complete package the last nights, and must say that the mastering of the regular "Best" tracks isn`t as bad as it looks at a first sight.

But the "Acoustic Best" is definately the better one. Very enjoyable listening, even with the red book CD!

The same tracks from the DVD-Audio - they are 20Bit at 44,1khz btw. - seem to have a bit more "air" to them. But this might be an illusion ... ;)

The red book tracks are dithered to 16 bit, and the 20 bit tracks lack of the dither noise, so these are definately not the "exact" same mastering files. Maybe, the dither could add some fatigue, and because of this the 20 bit files do sound a bit more "free".

But the differences do not excuse the buy of the DVD-Audio - for me at least.

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

• 3 months later...