IGNORED

Best bookshelf speaker you have ever heard

A friend of mine has a pair of them, and I borrowed them to test out here. They enchanted us. :)

I have been considering spending the dollars for a set of them, but I keep procrastinating, hoping a pair will magically show up on the used market around here. No such luck!

I am really intrigued with Joseph Audio right now... I am trying to restrain myself, but they keep popping up everywhere and with glowing reviews...

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am really intrigued with Joseph Audio right now... I am trying to restrain myself, but they keep popping up everywhere and with glowing reviews...

Here is another one getting great reviews also VERY affordable, Blumenstein Orca speakers & Dungeness subwoofers.

DSC_0939_alternate.jpg - - - - -

orca_speaker_5e2mm.jpg

Chord CPM-2600 - integrated amplifier - Chord One - cd player - Acoustat 1+1 - speakers.

Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless

A friend of mine has a pair of them, and I borrowed them to test out here. They enchanted us. :)

I have been considering spending the dollars for a set of them, but I keep procrastinating, hoping a pair will magically show up on the used market around here. No such luck!

Thanks Paul, that's exactly what I wanted to hear... I will send you the bill... ;)

No electron left behind.

The best bookshelf speakers are ones you don't place on bookshelves :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...
Joseph Audio Pulsars at around $7K. :)

-Paul

I have not heard that many speakers,but I would have to agree with Paul that the best I have heard are the Joseph Audio Pulsars. When I heard them, at AXPONA last year in Atlanta, I asked them where they had the subwoofer. There was no sub!

Jeff

Main system: MPaD -> Fanless VortexBox -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Adcom GFA-555II -> Working on the rest

Desktop System: J.River Media Jukebox -> WIN7 -> HRT Music Streamer II -> Virtue Audio One.2 -> DIY Martello speakers

I have not heard that many speakers,but I would have to agree with Paul that the best I have heard are the Joseph Audio Pulsars. When I heard them, at AXPONA last year in Atlanta, I asked them where they had the subwoofer. There was no sub!

With the right speaker, you don't need a subwoofer or subwoofers

Chord CPM-2600 - integrated amplifier - Chord One - cd player - Acoustat 1+1 - speakers.

Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless

The Harbeth Monitor 30's are my favorites right now with a close second to the fantastic old Rogers LS5/9's. Both are big time keepers in that form of speaker. They both do human voices so well it's spooky.

You can't discount the gorgeous new Sonus faber Olympica I's though. I have only heard them briefly but they were beautiful and to me sounded like a hell of a contender.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Boenicke W5 ... probably the biggest ratio in sound vs. size

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

A funny thing it is …….how we all have our own perceptions, experiences & preferences……

I just heard those Raidho D-1’s at the Capital Audiofest three weeks ago………at $24k (without the $3k stands) I found them to be at least $16k over valued & felt the JosephAudio Pulsar to be far superior at one third the cost.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7113[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7114[/ATTACH]

Thats interesting you consider the pulsars to be superior since the pulsars are often considered overpriced since the same seas excel drivers are used in many much cheaper designs. :P

Not that easy!....don't forget the Rogers LS3/5a

A pair of well kept LS3/5a's in a sympathetic system remain one of the wonders of the audio world. I once heard a pair coupled with an Audio Pro sub that filled a room (25'x35') with an orchestra playing Tchaikovsky's 1812 symphony and it was mind blowing. Oh, and this was vinyl.

David

I am confused, didn't the OP ask for the "Best bookshelf speaker you have ever heard".

Not the cheapest, most bang for the buck or the smallest!

My premise for any system is fairly simple:

- No sound signature

- Reproduce everything I can hear and a bit

I challenge you to bring me a bookshelf speaker system that attempts to do that!

Mine was: Steinway - Lyngdorf model S @ USD 25.000,-

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I own both the Evolution Acoustics MM3 and MMMicro One speakers.

Have to admit I probably listen to my MMMicro One speakers more than my Reference System - love them!!

Found a pair,like new condition with stands, for about $2K.

Office/Desktop - Computer Audio System :

Evolution Acoustics MMMicro One speakers

ESOTERIC RZ-1 Preamp/Amp/DA Convertor

• Jeff Rowland 925's
  • EMM Labs DV2
  • Aurender N30SA/Paul Pang Quad Switch/Muon PRO
  • Shunyata Everest
  • MBL 101E MkII + (2) REL 212SE
  • Cables : Inakustik, Shunyata, Stealth Audio

Well if we are discussing all these expensive "bookshelf" speakers that are really anything but a bookshelf speaker, I can tell you I owned a pair of Magico Q1s and sold them. They weren't for me. However, I don't know if Lawrence is still selling his Mandolins at his introductory pricing, but these may be one of the best bargains for a bookshelf speaker. Ted_B turned me on to them and they are exquisite and an amazing bargain and sound fantastic.