IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

Why is it when I connect up the e28 to a Win8 machine I don't see the e28 as an option in the "Manage audio device" settings of the Win Control Panel? I don;t get this. I still just see my laptops Realtek Speakers as the only playback device: even after I have loaded the e28 driver and see the exasound display sliders in the task bar. I totally don't get this. Is this driver limited to JRiver or something? I'd like to try HQPlayer. Even play tracks direct via uPnP...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Why is it when I connect up the e28 to a Win8 machine I don't see the e28 as an option in the "Manage audio device" settings of the Win Control Panel? I don;t get this. I still just see my laptops Realtek Speakers as the only playback device: even after I have loaded the e28 driver and see the exasound display sliders in the task bar. I totally don't get this. Is this driver limited to JRiver or something? I'd like to try HQPlayer. Even play tracks direct via uPnP...

I don't see equally the exasound driver in the Win Control Panel, but it isn't apparently a problem.

If you would like to try Hqplayer, you have to launch the program HQplayer Desktop 3 ASIO and after this you make the choice of the exasound device in the "Settings" under "Device".

JRiver MC has a big range of features and is perhaps more user friendly, but at the end I prefer HQplayer with its full-screen mode and especially for its upsampling features which soundwise give better results than JRiver MC, but you need a powerfull computer.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone using an e28 with JRiver (JRMC19) with a Mac (in my case Mini with i7) and Mavericks. Could you post the settings you use to get multichannel. I have asked in the JR Forum and gotten nothing back. I am using A+ to do mch files (with the E28), and JRMC19 to do stereo files (with a BADA2).

I would like to do JRemote with both stereo and mch using 2 zones on JRMC19.

Thanks, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Larry

That's exactly what I have.

Sitting here listening to multichannel DSD audio via JRiver on a mavericks mac mini with an e28. All I have done is got the latest drivers from Exasound. Set JRiver to playback through the 8 channel exasound driver in options/audio device. Audio Midi is set to use the 8 channel version for sound output.

Is it a JRiver, Exasound or Mavericks issue you are having?

Paul

Yes, although I use JRiver Windows for my e28 it is basically the same setup. I use the DSP in JRiver to up my LFE channel by 10db when playing back 5.1 PCM (and no need to turn off for DSD cuz DSP is automatically turned off for DSD).

Paul and Ted, thanks for the help. I got it working just now. George had given me the drivers after I switched to Mavericks and using the E28 with A+ crashed the system. With the new drivers everything is working. Not sure that I have the ideal settings. There are so many choices in the Options section after you choose the device. I think I have things pretty simple at this point. With no manual, JRMC19 relies on a lot of intuition or some outside help for any of the settings, unless the defaults are all the best choices. For example, the channel offset is totally confusing as is whether to put 2x for DSD conversion or not.

Anyway, it is working. I can compare the sonics with A+ and post something.

Thanks again, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

exaSound offers a new DAC, the e22: exaSound Audio Design > e22 DAC > Overview

Not to dis the product in anyway.... But why are the Left/Right outputs still reversed? I remember reading a review where exaSound said they were gonna fix that in their next iteration... They've now gone through two....

Again, this does not have anything to do with sound quality, I know it must sound incredible and a good value against other more expensive DACs

The output trigger is a good idea. I don't think it was included in the past model...

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

For some reason I don't receive most notifications from this thread. I tried everything, checked my profile, unsubscribed and subscribed again...

The Line outputs of the e22 are positioned the wrong way... again. The reason is that we use non-crossing topology on the PCB inside to maintain minimal channel crosstalk. This layout is dictated by the positions of Left and Right for SPDIF as assigned in the ES9018 chip.

We prefer to keep it clean on the inside. Specifications over looks - what is the lesser evil?

For some reason I don't receive most notifications from this thread. I tried everything, checked my profile, unsubscribed and subscribed again...

The Line outputs of the e22 are positioned the wrong way... again. The reason is that we use non-crossing topology on the PCB inside to maintain minimal channel crosstalk. This layout is dictated by the positions of Left and Right for SPDIF as assigned in the ES9018 chip.

We prefer to keep it clean on the inside. Specifications over looks - what is the lesser evil?

Thanks for the clarification exa. I agree with function over form.

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

• 1 month later...

exaSound have released new OSX drivers. Seems like they support native DSD256 now:

Release Notes - Version 5.0.4, 2014-03-22

Core Audio DoP256 - support for DSD256 on e20 Mk III, e28 and e22 DACs

Mac OS X ASIO - native support for DSD256 on e20 Mk III, e28 and e22 DACs

exaSound have released new OSX drivers. Seems like they support native DSD256 now:

Release Notes - Version 5.0.4, 2014-03-22

Core Audio DoP256 - support for DSD256 on e20 Mk III, e28 and e22 DACs

Mac OS X ASIO - native support for DSD256 on e20 Mk III, e28 and e22 DACs

Interesting. When Mac exaSound owners get that update, you'll want to grab the DSD256 sample file from exaSound as well. Very nice !

What you said makes no sense to me. If the outputs channels are reversed why can you just reversed the output connections or just reversed the labeling? I see no excuse for that.

What do you mean "reverse the labeling"? George is not saying the outputs are mislabeled or wrong, but simply that they are not on the monoblock amp side of the back panel. Not a big deal; just causes crossed interconnect if using direct out to monoblocks on each side of the rack. In many cases the cables first go to a preamp, likely above or below the DAC, and the real estate position of the output jacks is not a huge logistical thing.

Lately I have been comparing different usb cables with my exaSound e20.

1) Light Harmonic Lightspeed

2) MapleShade Clearlink plus

3) Black Cat Silverstar

4) Wireworld Starlight 7

5) DH labs Silversonic

4) & 5) is clearly harsh and bright sounding in my system, so they are out.

Will report back with 1)$999 2)$135 3)$99 cables and how they compared to each other..

SR Tesla Plex SE > 8 PS Audio Noise Harvesters > Blue Circle PLC Thigee > HiDiamond P4 > HQ Player > Jitterbug > USB Adapter > Regen > USB adapter > exaSound e20 mkIII (with TeddyPardo PSU) > High Fidelity CT-1UR > Emotiva XPA-1s > OTA Storatos SC > Magnepan 3.6R custom crossover + 2 REL T-7

DSD256 for Mac OS X Mavericks

tyler69, thank you for announcing DSD256 for OS X on this thread. The release of the new generation exaSound drivers for Mavericks is the next step in our effort to support the highest sampling rates.

OS X Mavericks brings back Integer mode. Our drivers utilize the new Core Audio architecture - Integer Mode and Exclusive mode should work flawlessly with Audirvana and J River.

At this time DoP256 is tested only with Audirvana. J River will enable soon the required PCM sampling rates - 705.5 and 768 kHz. Let us know about your experience with other players.

Multichannel DSD works with Audirvana in 5.1 and 7.1 configurations.

Please let us know if have any suggestions or if you experience issues with the new exaSound drivers for OS X Mavericks.

Windows ASIO Driver Update

We've just updated the ASIO drivers for Windows. We've implemented a couple of improvements requested by users. The G3 Dashboard can be moved away from the default location. It also can be configured to stay always on top. These features make it easier to use the exaSound Dashboard with J River in Theater view.

The e28 DAC Receives Two Prestigious Recognitions

The e28 DAC is now a C.A.S.H. listed device - Thank you, Computer Audiophile!

Stereophile.com has published recently the 2014 Recommended Components Digital Processors List. You will find the e28 DAC in the "A" category. According to the criteria stated on top of the list, "To be included in Class "A+", a digital processor must be capable of handling DSD or 24/96 LPCM data." The e28 will be evaluated again and we hope it will earn its A+ rating. See the footnote at the end of the list.

It may sound stupid, but I was looking as this product, and I do wonder...

Actually, I have a 2 pc setup, one beeing HTPC and controlling the second one, purely for HIFI.

HTPC output sound and video hmdi to processor, pc hifi USB to fostex HPA8C DAC.

The EX 28... If I use USB from my HIFI pc to the EX28, I'll get DSD and everything, including headphone out for my grado PS1000, that is clear enough in my head.

But...

on my HTPC, as I'm using jriver for movies (BR, MKV), would it be possible to send PCM over EX28 coaxial in, and output 7 channel PCM to my halo P7, to get DTS HD for example?

Thanks to Paul, I have my Exa28 running mch through JRMC19. Works great on zone 2. So I have zone 1 running my BADA 2 in stereo and zone 2 running my Exa28 in mch. I have a custom switch that goes between my Herron VTSP3A preamp in Stereo and my CJ MET-1 preamp in 5.1. Everything gets controlled through my Mac Mini or JRemote on my iPad.

One question, I had downloaded some of the Boston Symphony mch files a couple of years ago, but never got around to play them. They are in wma format (5.1 or 5.0 I'm not sure). A+ will not read them. I haven't tried JR19 yet. Can they be easily converted to another format? I have the Switch Sound File Convertor which can convert wma files. I don't know which to convert to. The conversion protocols all seem to say stereo or mono, not multichannel.

Thanks, Larry

on my HTPC, as I'm using jriver for movies (BR, MKV), would it be possible to send PCM over EX28 coaxial in, and output 7 channel PCM to my halo P7, to get DTS HD for example?
The e28 cannot decode DTS. The only way to do this is to get your HTPC to decode the DTS stream to mch PCM.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile