IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

My e28 has arrived.

Are any mac users with this DAC using something other than JRiver for multichannel PCM and DSD?

JRiver for OSX is giving me the %^&*&^t's…

Thanks

I'm using Jriver 19, Audirvana plus and Pure Music. For me I'm enjoying the best experience with Jriver. There is still a few glitches, but Pure music is a pain with DSD files, I can't get DSD 128 files to even play. Audirvana sounds a tad too hyped up to me and not a very great user interface with DSD/Flac. Nothing compares with the user interface Jriver has. Especially using the Jremote. I'm also getting the most natural sound using Jriver. But I think sound preference might differ between setups. I'm listening with either the highly detailed and revealing Shure SRH 940 earphones via the front jack or direct into my Dual mono Hypex Ncore Monoblocks and custom speakers using W cone Focal Midbasses, Raven ribbon tweeter's and Mundorf Xover components. So it's also a extremely revealing and detailed setup.

^Thanks for that!!! In my lab, I found the setup for Windows JRiver way easier than OSX... The way the dashboard popped up automatically in Windows with the driver (I couldn't even get N1 to load into OSX), the way the e28 plays straight out via USB/DSD "pure" (rather than having to do DoP… I couldn't even find this setting in JRiver 19 for OSX..or get DSD working properly).. Anyway I found JRIver Win7 way easier to set up. The sound is pure. Yep. It's good alright.. listening to my go to DSD albums and tracks right now (Roxy Music Avalon…Take a chance on me and Dire Straights Brother in Arms) My only criticism with this setup..and it's a very small negative..is not being able to trim channels in the dashboard when playing DSD files..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

The e28 gain on all channels is spot on into my Rotel Power amps. And my Velodyne powered sub..I'm not using a preamp. No base management. No "processing" or nothing.. It's pretty cool doing it this way actually… I'm generally pretty happy.. :).. but I think I'll go Windows for this DAC.. I prefer the Windows driver.. This is going to make me explore a fanless battery powered Windows machine now.. darn this hobby hahaha!!!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

The sound is certainly *WAY* clearer and cleaner than with my previous setup.... which was an Oppo 105>Yammie Receiver (which even though it was set up in Pure direct mode and 5.1 analog out, was still acting as a preamp and it's volume control was obviously influencing the sound playback..)… pictured is the e28. Rotel's below… Sub bottom left… Front Katan ("Retired" Oppo upper left.)...

photo.JPG

^Thanks for that!!! In my lab, I found the setup for Windows JRiver way easier than OSX... The way the dashboard popped up automatically in Windows with the driver (I couldn't even get N1 to load into OSX), the way the e28 plays straight out via USB/DSD "pure" (rather than having to do DoP… I couldn't even find this setting in JRiver 19 for OSX..or get DSD working properly).. Anyway I found JRIver Win7 way easier to set up. The sound is pure. Yep. It's good alright.. listening to my go to DSD albums and tracks right now (Roxy Music Avalon…Take a chance on me and Dire Straights Brother in Arms) My only criticism with this setup..and it's a very small negative..is not being able to trim channels in the dashboard when playing DSD files..

Sorry I'm running an e20 so don't have to deal with the multichannel. But I'm going to be buying an e28 soon to make my fully active 4 way dream speakers with 8 Hypex ncore amps dedicated to each driver, and speaker cabinets milled out of billet aluminum loaded with Accuton drivers. They changed some settings for MC 19 on both Windows and OSX, such as for DSD, you just pick DSD off of the list, you don't have to select the DOP option. Are you running MC 18 on Windows? They still have some bugs to work out for 19 on OSX as it's still a beta version. But I have faith in them sorting everything out sooner or later.

The sound is certainly *WAY* clearer and cleaner than with my previous setup.... which was an Oppo 105>Yammie Receiver (which even though it was set up in Pure direct mode and 5.1 analog out, was still acting as a preamp and it's volume control was obviously influencing the sound playback..)… pictured is the e28. Rotel's below… Sub bottom left… Front Katan ("Retired" Oppo upper left.)...

Sweet setup!! Ya I find using a preamp of any quality with the e20 has a detrimental effect on the sound. The best preamp is no preamp if you don't need one.

^Thanks..That's only one corner of the mess (ie lab).. Yeah.. it's not one of those huge home theatre rooms with 10 foot high speakers..But I guess nobody can accuse me on not being a dinkum CAfile.. :)

Sorry I'm running an e20 so don't have to deal with the multichannel. But I'm going to be buying an e28 soon to make my fully active 4 way dream speakers with 8 Hypex ncore amps dedicated to each driver, and speaker cabinets milled out of billet aluminum loaded with Accuton drivers. They changed some settings for MC 19 on both Windows and OSX, such as for DSD, you just pick DSD off of the list, you don't have to select the DOP option. Are you running MC 18 on Windows? They still have some bugs to work out for 19 on OSX as it's still a beta version. But I have faith in them sorting everything out sooner or later.

NICE plan!!!! Yep. Bugs obviously a plenty in 19 OSX.. Windows 8 with JRiver 19 running on a crappy $499 Compaq laptop ATM hahaha.. Much more stable darn it hehehe

NICE plan!!!! Yep. Bugs obviously a plenty in 19 OSX.. Windows 8 with JRiver 19 running on a crappy $499 Compaq laptop ATM hahaha.. Much more stable darn it hehehe

Nothing wrong with that. The Exasound sounds the same no matter what computer you drive it with :) I have Jriver on my 5 year old Panasonic tough book with XP, and it works and sounds great. I use it when I go camping. Makes a great portable combo with the e20 and battery pack. :)

There seems a definite bug in JRiver 19 OSX with DSD playback on the e28. A Stereo track plays (but is silent). Multichannel crashes JRiver… I've emailed G to see if it's a setting problem I've done.. because this doesn't happen with the JR 19 Windows program..

There seems a definite bug in JRiver 19 OSX with DSD playback on the e28. A Stereo track plays (but is silent). Multichannel crashes JRiver… I've emailed G to see if it's a setting problem I've done.. because this doesn't happen with the JR 19 Windows program..

What happens to me is if I hit stop in the middle of a track with any format, the next song played if it's on the same album or even in the same format, it will play with no sound. If I start a song in a different format it will play sound, and then if I go back to the previous album that wouldn't play any sound before, it will work. It seems to be a problem with hitting stop. Switching to another format seems to reset the problem. I posted the problem on the Jriver bug forum for 19.0.88. But it may also be an issue with the jriver/ Exasound N1 combo. Not sure but it would be nice if it could be resolved.

Attention all Exasound owners. This might be slightly off topic but you need to download Eric Bibb's Opus 3 DSD 128 download called A Analogue Selection of Eric Bibb! Probably the best Analog transfer I've heard to date. Great music too! Acoustic blues/folk/bluegrass. Sounds astonishing on my E20!

dsdfile.com | A Selection of analogue Eric Bibb

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9497[/ATTACH]

When I first went to DSDFile.Com, they actually gave away "Meetin' at the Building" by Eric Bibb in DSD128. I've since bought a few of the Opus 3 DSD128 transfers. Really excellent.

I hear that DSDFile is looking to release the Opus 3 Surround SACDs as Multichannel DSD Downloads in the near future. Would love to have Tiny Island as a Multichannel DSD file!

I'm using A+ with no problems with my e28 - mch and stereo. Of course, I would like to hear what integer mode sounds like. Don't think that A+ or JR are yet working with integer mode and the e28.

BTW, I can hear a faint click between tracks in mch with DSF files ripped on my PS3 from SACD's, same as the click in the stereo files. Quite faint and not a bother.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I'm using A+ with no problems with my e28 - mch and stereo. Of course, I would like to hear what integer mode sounds like. Don't think that A+ or JR are yet working with integer mode and the e28.

BTW, I can hear a faint click between tracks in mch with DSF files ripped on my PS3 from SACD's, same as the click in the stereo files. Quite faint and not a bother.

Larry

I have the same little annoyance as you between tracks from DSF files ripped on a PS3 from SACD's. This problem don't occur with PCM files, but only with DSF files and it's a bit sharper on MCH files than on stereo files. It's apparently independent from the player. I am using Jriver MC19 or HQplayer, mostly this one because I find it better with regard to sound quality when using upsampling to 128-DSD. The difference is particularly great between the two player with PCM files. The only problem is that the load on the CPU is important.

Something other. I will receive an Anker Astro Pro 14400mAh in 2 days and I am very curious about it's possible benefit (I am still waiting on a Hynes power supply ... )

I have the same little annoyance as you between tracks from DSF files ripped on a PS3 from SACD's. This problem don't occur with PCM files, but only with DSF files and it's a bit sharper on MCH files than on stereo files. It's apparently independent from the player. I am using Jriver MC19 or HQplayer, mostly this one because I find it better with regard to sound quality when using upsampling to 128-DSD. The difference is particularly great between the two player with PCM files. The only problem is that the load on the CPU is important.

Something other. I will receive an Anker Astro Pro 14400mAh in 2 days and I am very curious about it's possible benefit (I am still waiting on a Hynes power supply ... )

I was reading in one of the threads that the decoding program for dsf (Ted is the expert and can correct me, please) inserts some information that causes the click and that if you convert to the dff format that it doesn't happen. I have saved all my .iso files ripped from my SACD's so I could go back and reconvert them to dff, but I haven't felt the need.

I do my PCM files directly from A+ to my Berkeley USB and BADA DAC2, with no plans to use the e28 except for DSD files. Right now it is a pain to do so because I have to reset the A+ preferences to integer mode, and other settings.

I have downloaded the Charlie Hansen files that Chris just posted (PCM vs DSD) so will be doing a comparison first with the e28 and then between the e28 and BADA2. What fun.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

@jdw + @astrotoy:

the "click" issue was discussed here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd_extract-dsf-output-problem-18114/

only evident if ISOs were extracted to DSF files directly, which causes a minor data-loss, and can cause these effects.

currently only avoided if extracting to DFF fromat instead (which could in turn get you in trouble with tagging).

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Hi guys! After hearing a large improvement in sound quality by using a lead acid battery from my UPS to power my E20, I decided to look for a more compact and convenient solution. In my search I discovered a lithium battery based portable power pack from Anker called the Anker Astro Pro:

Anker Astro Pro 14400mAh Multi-Voltage 5V / 9V / 12V External Battery Pack for iPad, iPhone 5 4S 4; Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Note 8, Tab 2, S4 S3 [4 mobile phone connectors, 6 tablet connectors, 12V 1A adapter provided] - Black - Amazon.ca

It uses a DC-DC converter to select from 9-12v on the output and also has 2 USB ports for charging phones etc. Anker has various sized packs but I went for the 14400 mAh version as it has enough juice to power the E20 for several hours before it needs to be charged, and is compact in size. The unit comes with various sized DC tips, but the main 12V cord has the exact tip the E20 takes so no need to mess around with the adaptor tips. So now to get on with the sound. It came pre charged so I plugged it in and started listening to some DSD recordings with my Shure SRH 940 headphones plugged into the headphone jack. These headphones are extremely revealing so with them it's easy to detect subtle changes in sound quality. I was a bit skeptical about the DC-DC converter and thought that maybe it could have a detrimental effect on the purity of the power but I guess not because wow I was blown away instantly! Not only was the sound much better then the stock supply, it also exceeded the sound from the lead acid battery. Pretty much every area of sound quality was greatly improved. Another bonus is when I plug in the supplied charger into the pack while listening to music, I can't detect any change in the sound at all. So it probably could just be plugged in at all times. It seems like the power from the charger is buffered and filtered by the battery so the power remains pure. As far as life goes between charges, I'm getting from 6-7 hours listening to my headphones at quite high levels per charge. I can imagine that figure could be doubled using the rear outputs. So for $69 CND it's a no brainer for me. It also allows me to take my E20 anywhere without having to plug it in. It would be very interesting for one of you guys with a Paul Hynes supply to do a comparison :)

I tried Anker Astro Pro today.. Very nice indeed.

My TeddyPardo 12/2 PS is fully burn-in and comparing between the two,

it is very very difficult to tell which sounds better (Magnepan 3.6R)..

I will try headphones out tomorrow..

SR Tesla Plex SE > 8 PS Audio Noise Harvesters > Blue Circle PLC Thigee > HiDiamond P4 > HQ Player > Jitterbug > USB Adapter > Regen > USB adapter > exaSound e20 mkIII (with TeddyPardo PSU) > High Fidelity CT-1UR > Emotiva XPA-1s > OTA Storatos SC > Magnepan 3.6R custom crossover + 2 REL T-7

Thank you for your recommendation Blizzard.

I think Anker Astro Pro's high grade cells and premium microchips working wonders here..

Further a/b listening reveals, Astro Pro providing slightly blacker background than TeddyPardo.

As well, vocals have slightly less digital artifact around it.

Tried stock PS as well.. but let's just say I will be putting it boxed away in a storage somewhere :)

IMG_3114.jpg

SR Tesla Plex SE > 8 PS Audio Noise Harvesters > Blue Circle PLC Thigee > HiDiamond P4 > HQ Player > Jitterbug > USB Adapter > Regen > USB adapter > exaSound e20 mkIII (with TeddyPardo PSU) > High Fidelity CT-1UR > Emotiva XPA-1s > OTA Storatos SC > Magnepan 3.6R custom crossover + 2 REL T-7

^Everything on battery...How good is that !!!!! Cool.

^Everything on battery...How good is that !!!!! Cool.

I just love the way the PSU dwarfs the DAC (doesnt just happen with the exaSound)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you for your recommendation Blizzard.

I think Anker Astro Pro's high grade cells and premium microchips working wonders here..

Further a/b listening reveals, Astro Pro providing slightly blacker background than TeddyPardo.

As well, vocals have slightly less digital artifact around it.

Tried stock PS as well.. but let's just say I will be putting it boxed away in a storage somewhere :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9525[/ATTACH]

Great news!!! And thank you for confirming that my ear's aren't lying to me! I'm pleased to know that this cheap and portable supply outperforms far more expensive, larger and non portable solutions. Now all a guy needs to do is pop it in a fancy aluminum enclosure and it could sell for $500 :)

Up and running using the e28 and A+ …beautiful! :)

Pride of place... Sitting next to my all time favourite for stereo... the one I just can't give up: the one and only (and original) Benchmark DAC1...

..awaiting JRiver 19 OSX DSD bugs to be ironed out...

ideal.jpg

Great news!!! And thank you for confirming that my ear's aren't lying to me! I'm pleased to know that this cheap and portable supply outperforms far more expensive, larger and non portable solutions. Now all a guy needs to do is pop it in a fancy aluminum enclosure and it could sell for $500 :)

Now that I tried both LPS and Battery on Headphones (HD800, HD598 & IE80) in controlled environment, I would not say Anker outperforms TeddyPardo power supply. My audiophile friend with slightly better hearing confirmed too that LPS provides better resolution and air between instruments.. better dynamics as well. Anker Astro still has slight blacker backround, but I would say in the end Teddy Pardo wins in terms of overall SQ.

However for something so cheap, Anker is really a great buy if you are looking for a quick upgrade from the stock PS.