IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

I took advantage of the 15% discount (it was available before Black Friday--many thanks to George for telling me about it) and became the proud owner of an e20 Mk III yesterday. I was already using JRMC 19 for playback, so the setup on my Windows 7 machine was extremely easy. I've had tunes going for the last 23 hours so that I could get the e20 properly burned in, but so far, I am extremely pleased with the results. I expect things to get better with additional usage, of course.

One of the ways that I judge whether or not I've made a good audio purchase is whether or not that item increases my desire to listen to music. I can honestly say that no other audio purchase I've ever made has ever made me feel this way as much as the e20 has. There is more space between instruments, more detail being pulled out of instruments--particularly with things like cymbals and acoustic bass--and greater overall depth to the music. And unlike some components I've listened to in the past, these improvements are not limited to certain genres of music, either. Death metal and grindcore sound just as good as jazz and classical.

I also love how the e20 can play everything that I've thrown at it, from crappy old mp3's I still have in my collection to test DSD and DXD files I've been downloading from the good people at 2L. This is the first time I've been able to listen to the latter through my computer/DAC setup, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I'd also like to give a plug to exaSound's customer service. Over several back and forth exchanges, George patiently answered all of my questions prior to purchase. Shipment was also extremely prompt after I paid.

Overall, a great purchase and a highly recommended product.

I took advantage of the 15% discount (it was available before Black Friday--many thanks to George for telling me about it) and became the proud owner of an e20 Mk III yesterday.

I'd also like to give a plug to exaSound's customer service. Over several back and forth exchanges, George patiently answered all of my questions prior to purchase. Shipment was also extremely prompt after I paid.

Overall, a great purchase and a highly recommended product.

George at exaSound is great to work with. Be sure to ask him about a copy of the DSD256 classical music file mentioned in the Stereophile review of the exaSound e28. He sent me a copy for playback on the e28 - as Kal Rubinson said very impressive !

Folks, I have been considering getting an e20 or an Aurelic Vega. I have a Butler hybrid 2250 amp and had a little fund for a new preamp; however, I figured it might be more worth my while to get a new-gen DAC and introduce using its preamp function. (I have recently moved to computer-based audio via Mac mini.)

So in that regard, would anyone have experience and care to comment on the preamp output stages of these DACs? Everything I have heard on both of them has led me to think that they are very close in terms of performance...but I haven't seen anyone talk about differences (if any) in this regard.

Many thanks!

Folks, I have been considering getting an e20 or an Aurelic Vega. I have a Butler hybrid 2250 amp and had a little fund for a new preamp; however, I figured it might be more worth my while to get a new-gen DAC and introduce using its preamp function. (I have recently moved to computer-based audio via Mac mini.)

So in that regard, would anyone have experience and care to comment on the preamp output stages of these DACs? Everything I have heard on both of them has led me to think that they are very close in terms of performance...but I haven't seen anyone talk about differences (if any) in this regard.

Many thanks!

Hmmmm....I guess we cannot edit posts? Interesting. [Edit: guess there's a time limit. :D]

Anyways just to briefly explain the above: currently I do have an older DAC, but it only does Toslink from the Mac mini (no USB input), which has a max output of 24/96 using optical.

So I have done a bit of saving for a new preamp, but really I am looking to upgrade both. For the price range of the e20/Vega I could probably get a DAC such as the Sonore exD (or possibly a used Mytek) and a pretty nice preamp, but certainly nothing earth-shattering.

On the other hand, I wondered if it would be better and easier to, for that price range, just go straight to the e20/Vega sans preamp. There is certainly something to be said for simplification....

Hmmmm....I guess we cannot edit posts? Interesting. [Edit: guess there's a time limit. :D]

Anyways just to briefly explain the above: currently I do have an older DAC, but it only does Toslink from the Mac mini (no USB input), which has a max output of 24/96 using optical.

So I have done a bit of saving for a new preamp, but really I am looking to upgrade both. For the price range of the e20/Vega I could probably get a DAC such as the Sonore exD (or possibly a used Mytek) and a pretty nice preamp, but certainly nothing earth-shattering.

On the other hand, I wondered if it would be better and easier to, for that price range, just go straight to the e20/Vega sans preamp. There is certainly something to be said for simplification....

Or you could spend a bit more and go to the exaSound e28 - and have Multichannel and Stereo DSD and PCM playback....

Other than potential future-proofing, what would the e28 give me that the e20 does not? As noted, I have a stereo amp (and obviously, stereo speakers). I do not have a room processor, and in my experience most multichannel setups in non-perfect rooms pretty much require some sort of room correction. I assume the e28 does not do that itself?

The only advantage I see for the e28 over the e20 is for active biamping or tri-amping using it as a digital crossover. Other than that the e20 should be fine

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

I have had both (I own the E28 and had the E20 in every iteration) and have told George that I firmly believe the latest E20 is a better 2 channel DAC than the E28, not a huge diff, but better overall. Makes sense, of course, as it's dedicated 2 channel, has parallel DAC chips, etc.

BTW, I was listening to my E28 in 2 channel mode last night (JRievr) and the DSD128 presentation is soooo good. I have a couple DACs inhouse for review, and the E28, although built to be multichannel, holds its own and in some ways bests what I'm breaking in (no names please :) ). George and co have done miracles with the Sabre chipset and analog stage for this price (caveat: I power it with my Hynes SR3-12).

Appreciate the comments, Ted. My listening room is a modern-furnished living room with wood floors (+ rug) and 9-foot ceilings, and tends toward the bright side of the spectrum (there is a massive mirror behind the couch and according to the wife it will not ever be moved in favour of acoustic panels :D ), so I'm a bit wary of equipment that will accentuate that quality.

The Vega gets rave reviews but has been described as more on the bright/analytical spectrum. I have heard that both the exaSound e20 and the Sonore exD may give a slightly warmer/smoother presentation - would you have any comment in that regard?

(I am in a remote area of Canada with no local dealers for this kind of equipment. I would take advantage of a 30-day trial run if I have to, but keep in mind shipping will likely be $50 each way.)

Thanks.

I can't speak toward whether you'd like the DAC in your specific environment. I will always recommend, basically insist, that any new electronic audio gear be demo'd or trial'd inhome. There is too much gear available that way to not choose one of those mfg'ers or dealers. Not only room acoustics, but simply listening preferences and hearing abilities have as much to do with your final choice as specs and cost. All that being said the E28 (or E20) is not the warmest DAC I've ever heard, nor the most analytical (i.e dry). It is a nice neutral colored DAC in my system. That assessment should not stop you from demoing it, however, as my system and preferences are quite different than yours. All I can tell you is that the E series exaSound DACs are great values and worth trying, especially if you have interest in playback via the DSD format.

I can't wait to get my e28 either. It's going to replace the Oppo 105 for multichannel. Black Friday was way to hard to resist: The add on CA worked George! hehe :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I also bit the bullet and ordered an E28, just for multichannel. However, I will be able to compare its two channel performance with my current non DSD conversion system - A+ DSD converted to 172/24 to Berkeley USB to BADA2, just to see what the two sound like.

I can also compare the E28 reading multichannel to my Oppo 95 reading the SACD from which the multichannel is ripped.

I have a double preamp system - a Herron VTSP-3A for stereo and a Conrad Johnson MET-1 for 5.1. I have a custom switch to change between the two, keeping the same amps and speakers for left and right.

I'll have some fun over the holidays.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

^ Nice one Larry!!! Just curious can anybody tell me if it's possible to switch the stereo channels "on the fly" with the E28.. you know, move the stereo signal from the "front speakers" to "the side speakers".. So L stereo signal comes out say R front speaker and R stereo signal comes out R rear surround speaker?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I remember in the early days of stereo, RCA came out with a series, IIRC, Stereo Action Unlimited, (Catalogue code was LSA I think) where the sound walked across the stage, from one speaker to another, obviously with some sort of panning. We had a record with a cut "Did you ever see a Dream walking" and the dream (instruments) did walk across your listening field. Needless to say these didn't catch on anymore than the records with trains going from one speaker to another. With a switch on the E28 you could have whole orchestra or singer move in a circle around you. Wouldn't that be fun.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I remember in the early days of stereo, RCA came out with a series, IIRC, Stereo Action Unlimited, (Catalogue code was LSA I think) where the sound walked across the stage, from one speaker to another, obviously with some sort of panning. We had a record with a cut "Did you ever see a Dream walking" and the dream (instruments) did walk across your listening field. Needless to say these didn't catch on anymore than the records with trains going from one speaker to another. With a switch on the E28 you could have whole orchestra or singer move in a circle around you. Wouldn't that be fun.

Larry

To change the perspective of an Multichannel recording, as you are describing, would require adding a Surround Synthesizer like the Surround Master (see Surround Master by Involve Audio | Involve Audio) to your audio setup.

I prefer enjoying the fidelity of the original recording and the Surround Sound decisions of the artist and their producer/engineers vs. that approach, when possible.

No you cannot switch them on the fly. And why would you want to ?

Is there some "rule" in set up we all have to follow or something? Not everybodies surround set up is stock standard you know. Some of us might have a listening environment where movies are watched on one wall... and work-mixing-desk is on another ...

BTW, I was listening to my E28 in 2 channel mode last night (JRievr) and the DSD128 presentation is soooo good. I have a couple DACs inhouse for review, and the E28, although built to be multichannel, holds its own and in some ways bests what I'm breaking in (no names please :) ). George and co have done miracles with the Sabre chipset and analog stage for this price (caveat: I power it with my Hynes SR3-12).

Hmm, another DSD DAC review by Ted? I'm up for that!

Wap, as long as you are in PCM you can have JRIver do a channel map (have any channel mapped to any output). It is slightly useful for those weird DVD-A's that don't follow the l/r/c/lfe/ls/rs map. It's in the parametric eq section (Weird but oh well). I use that section to let JRIver know that when I play PCM mch to do a bass boost in the lfe vs when playing DSD (and the DSP section is not active for DSD anyway, so no need to remember).

jriver pcm sub gain.jpg

jriver channel order.jpg

Other than potential future-proofing, what would the e28 give me that the e20 does not? As noted, I have a stereo amp (and obviously, stereo speakers). I do not have a room processor, and in my experience most multichannel setups in non-perfect rooms pretty much require some sort of room correction. I assume the e28 does not do that itself?
I cannot restrain myself. Why do you think that room correction is necessary for multichannel and not for stereo in the same room? Do the acoustics change? Even superficially, decent stereo is more dependent on proper acoustics than is good multichannel.

I think this perception is due to traditional (analog) stereo users historically eschewing any additional processing while multichannel is essentially a digital medium wherein DSP is a given.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

^ OMG.. I *so* agree with the above post by Kal.

One of the pleasures I really look forward to with my E28 when it arrives is the totally simplicity of the surround set up. It's just going to be plug it into the MAC, each analog out to a power amp> Speakers > manually trim the channels and I'm done.. No processing, no HDMI, nothing. It's going to be bliss… :)