IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

Well I have about 150 hours on my e20 MKIII .082 Clock DAC. The first question is does the Clock upgrade make a positive difference. The second question is, if it makes a positive difference, is it enough to do the upgrade.

To answer the first. YES, it makes a positive difference. The DAC is even more quiet, has more micro and even macro dynamics coming through. You can hear more room/hall ambiance. The body acoustics of the instruments are heard to a greater extent, to the point were the instruments and the performance is more live sounding. So the music sounds more musical.

This is across the frequency spectrum. The sound is very detailed and resolving but never harsh, smooth in a way at the same time.

This is not an OMG type of difference as the standard e20 is that good but it is easily heard. Actually you will say OMG because the tone of the instruments and voices are amazing.

The answer to second question is a BIG YES!! At the current price of the Clock upgrade it is a no brainer.

Do not walk, run, as at this price it is a bargain. Actually George should just make it a standard part of the MKIII.

But yet I expect more to come because I am still using the included wall wart. Many others have reported how much better sounding the e20 is with a very good external power supply. And I can sense that my e20 is being held back. Like a champion race horse held back, just waiting to be unleashed.

Now I must get an external power supply, not because the e20 has to have it to sound great because it already does, but because I need to know just how much can it.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

• 4 weeks later...

Hi zdonne. Congratulations on the e20 MK III. Well the burn in is taking a little longer then I expected do to other obligations.

Having sad that it is sounding wonderful and more so every week. I have a Paul Hynes power supply coming in a few weeks and once that is burned in I will post my impressions.

I will try and post more in a day or two.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

It would be interesting to hear the results in following listening tests either with e20 MK III or e28.

I do not have exasound e20 or e28, but the product family is representing such functionalities I would expect from future driven computer audio separates hardware, where I can select any (redbook CD, FLAC type or ...) player with digital output and the good multichannel DAC (or DAC-preamp) with rich input functionalities + the rest of the audio chain components separately. Proposed test c) is imaginary, because such input functionality does not exist in e28, but that is requested to the supported functionalities product roadmap (to any high quality multichannel DAC) !

Then the following requested Exasound A/B listening tests:

a) signal input 1 to the SPDIF 1 in from a redbook CD transport

b) signal input 2 to the USB bit perfect in from a dedicated computer (FLAC) player

Both tested preferably with XLR output from Exasound to the rest of the audio chain components and trying to find some qualitative differencies in the A/B test. Preferably play with for example with Oppo 93/95/103/105 or equivalent with spdif out from a redbook CD and then the other test part from a FLAC source that is ripped from the same well mastered CD source.

If the Exasound 28 could have HDMI-input also supporting native SACD DSD over HDMI audio input I would buy it immediately to solve the digital sacd MCH listening challenges with a good MCH DSD DAC. Therefore the Imaginary test 3 that would be a modified test b) and the new comparison alternative:

b) MCH DSD signal input 2 to the USB bit perfect in of e28 from a dedicated computer player (preferably riped MCH SACD signal source )

c) use HDMI input of negt gen. Exasound e28 MK II from universal SACD player that sends DSD over HDMI

Nice to have this forum :-)

It would be interesting to hear the results in following listening tests either with e20 MK III or e28.

I do not have exasound e20 or e28, but the product family is representing such functionalities I would expect from future driven computer audio separates hardware, where I can select any (redbook CD, FLAC type or ...) player with digital output and the good multichannel DAC (or DAC-preamp) with rich input functionalities + the rest of the audio chain components separately. Proposed test c) is imaginary, because such input functionality does not exist in e28, but that is requested to the supported functionalities product roadmap (to any high quality multichannel DAC) !

Then the following requested Exasound A/B listening tests:

a) signal input 1 to the SPDIF 1 in from a redbook CD transport

b) signal input 2 to the USB bit perfect in from a dedicated computer (FLAC) player

Both tested preferably with XLR output from Exasound to the rest of the audio chain components and trying to find some qualitative differencies in the A/B test. Preferably play with for example with Oppo 93/95/103/105 or equivalent with spdif out from a redbook CD and then the other test part from a FLAC source that is ripped from the same well mastered CD source.

If the Exasound 28 could have HDMI-input also supporting native SACD DSD over HDMI audio input I would buy it immediately to solve the digital sacd MCH listening challenges with a good MCH DSD DAC. Therefore the Imaginary test 3 that would be a modified test b) and the new comparison alternative:

b) MCH DSD signal input 2 to the USB bit perfect in of e28 from a dedicated computer player (preferably riped MCH SACD signal source )

c) use HDMI input of negt gen. Exasound e28 MK II from universal SACD player that sends DSD over HDMI

Nice to have this forum :-)

What DAC do you own now ?

The Truth Is Out There

Well, my Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply is shipped and on its way. Unfortunately it "has been received at our international mail centre and is being made ready for despatch overseas" since Friday. I am hoping it gets here by Friday the latest. Wed would be nicer. Once I do have it I will put on at least 50+ hours before I give my initial impressions. Then another 50+ and then 100+ for a total of over 200+ hours for a final evaluation.

Paul stated that his SR5-12 would give even better results but that was out of my price range at the moment. He did say that the SR3-12 is a great match for the e20 with great results, just that the SR5-12 will give that last bit of performance.

More to come.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Hello,

Does anyone here is using Exasound E20 with Bryston BDP-2 Digital player? I just want to find out if you successfully connected both via USB and working fine.

Thanks.

Exasound | Audio Research | Bryston | Kef Reference | Chord Signatures | JL Audio | Anthem Statements

Well, my Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply is shipped and on its way. Unfortunately it "has been received at our international mail centre and is being made ready for despatch overseas" since Friday. I am hoping it gets here by Friday the latest. Wed would be nicer. Once I do have it I will put on at least 50+ hours before I give my initial impressions. Then another 50+ and then 100+ for a total of over 200+ hours for a final evaluation.

Paul stated that his SR5-12 would give even better results but that was out of my price range at the moment. He did say that the SR3-12 is a great match for the e20 with great results, just that the SR5-12 will give that last bit of performance.

More to come.

Interesting. How do the two differ? And what is the price on the SR5-12 ?

More to come.

As you may know I reviewed the exaSounds twice, once an informal review of the E20, and 45 days ago a formal CA front page review of the E28. In both cases I made a huge issue about the design of these DACs that they would allow external ps's. I then went on to describe the major upgrade I got (blacker background, more solid soundstage, fleshed out mid to lower bass, better microdynamics) when I plugged in my Hynes SR3-12. You will not be disappointed (I consider it a must-have, but then I stole mine for $180 3 yrs ago :) ) especially given your patience to break it in properly.

Brian, the SR5-12 is a 5A version of the 12V ps; our SR3-12's are 3A versions. I would expect better stability, more of everything (including dollars).....but at some point the amperes are lost to heat. I also own a Hynes SR7-18V5 (the first one Paul built in his EHD case) that is internally adjustable from 12V to 19V (18V5 represents what was needed to externally power a MAc Mini, which is what I had Paul build it for a couple years ago) and I would love to try it, in 12V mode, on the DACs like Exasound and Chord but it currently powers my CAPS Zuma pico psu (which I am quickly determining is a waste of good ps).

As you may know I reviewed the exaSounds twice, once an informal review of the E20, and 45 days ago a formal CA front page review of the E28. In both cases I made a huge issue about the design of these DACs that they would allow external ps's. I then went on to describe the major upgrade I got (blacker background, more solid soundstage, fleshed out mid to lower bass, better microdynamics) when I plugged in my Hynes SR3-12. You will not be disappointed (I consider it a must-have, but then I stole mine for $180 3 yrs ago :) ) especially given your patience to break it in properly.

Brian, the SR5-12 is a 5A version of the 12V ps; our SR3-12's are 3A versions. I would expect better stability, more of everything (including dollars).....but at some point the amperes are lost to heat. I also own a Hynes SR7-18V5 (the first one Paul built in his EHD case) that is internally adjustable from 12V to 19V (18V5 represents what was needed to externally power a MAc Mini, which is what I had Paul build it for a couple years ago) and I would love to try it, in 12V mode, on the DACs like Exasound and Chord but it currently powers my CAPS Zuma pico psu (which I am quickly determining is a waste of good ps).

Ted, have you compares performance of the 12c Hynes with the Red Wine audio battery on a CAPS 3.0?

Ted, have you compares performance of the 12c Hynes with the Red Wine audio battery on a CAPS 3.0?

No I haven't; Vinnie's wonderful battery is just that...but I am so against using a premium power supply into the pico psu..a waste. Instead have Vinnie build multirails and an ATX loom, and go direct to the peripherals (assuming your mobo can handle it).

Ted

Are you aware that Exasound has now started building and supplying a PS with addition filtering etc for their DACs ?

I sent George Klissarov an email asking him for information as there is nothing about it on their web site.

Stew

Stew, I spoke to George about that a month ago and he does not expect it to be to market for about six months at that time. I have heard from other sources that it might retail for around $1,000. I hope not.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Stew, I spoke to George about that a month ago and he does not expect it to be to market for about six months at that time. I have heard from other sources that it might retail for around $1,000. I hope not.

George had it on display and operating at RMAF. When I talked with him he said the E28 PS was so well done it was unnecessary but many audiophiles were asking him to build it. I should have asked him to let me use it on a trial basis.

And yes I think it was priced somewhere above $800.00 US

Stew

Yes, I was part of that momentum for George as I told him how great his DACs sound with the Hynes stuff. Yes, I think he expects it to be in that $$ neighborhood, but not 100% sure.

Well, the Paul Hynes SR3-12 landed on my doorstep on Friday. It has been up and running since 1:30PM Fri. I have about 70+ hours on it.

When first powered up the system with the new power supply hooked up, the sound stage became restricted. Some instruments got small, so to speak. However there were some parts that sounded better. After about two hours it started to slowly open up. Over the course of several days the sound went from better to two steps back. In the last day it is settling down. The sound-stage is really opening up with the instruments better placed and more space between them. The tone of the instruments have more body and are more lifelike. Besides the base and midrange having more body and impact the highs have also benefited. The highs have a more natural sound to them, like the shimmer on the cymbals and more air to them.

Now do not misunderstand me, the e20 MK III is a great sounding DAC without the upgraded power supply, just more so now.

As the SR3-12 does not come with a power cord I first used a heavy duty "give away" but then after about 30 hours I replaced it with a Triode Wire Labs power cable. After several hours it settled down and helped bring further improvements, small but worthwhile.

From my experience, beyond this, being able to add a better power supply will almost guarantee better sound performance.

Well more to come but I would say it is MORE then a worthwhile improvement if this is the best it gets.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Hifial, great stuff. The only "bad" news is that the Hynes cSr3-12 ontinues to change/settle and ultimately improve through about 400 hours. But you are past the worst part of the roller coaster. :)

The only "bad" news is that the Hynes cSr3-12 ontinues to change/settle and ultimately improve through about 400 hours. :)

Holy Cow!! But then again, I have all that improvement in sound to look foreword too. I am glad to hear that there is more to come in improvement in the sound from adding the SR3-12 power supply.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]