IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

The issue would be that adding a HDMI input would increase the complexity a lot as well as adding the costs of HDMI and HDCP licensing.

The one BIG thing you can't do (afaik) is take a signal from an external device such as satellite receiver and decode it to an external DAC (such as the e28). Its great for "internal" sources; but a total non-starter for anything external.

Well you're talking about external AV sources, of course. The exasound is an audio only product and the emphasis is on audio quality. It does have two s/pdif inputs for external audio sources.

There are a number of products out there that purport to take signals from satellite receivers and other TV sources, both USB and PCI. I think it all depends on exactly which channels you want to receive and how you might be able to get them into your PC.

Perhaps someone else who's better up on this than I am can chime in. I don't know how far you've researched this. I do recommend the AV Science Forums HTPC section for advice on this.

If you can get the AV signal into your PC then I'm sure there'll be a way of sending the audio part out to the exasound.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

The Oppo BDP-105 has a USB Output. Why not use this?

The Oppo could be used instead of the exasound, since it does have HDMI inputs. It's a very flexible machine. In its latest 105D incarnation it can be used as a DSD128 DAC and that should work for multi-channel DSD sources as well.

Yes Audio_Elf is correct. It has USB type A inputs for external drives, and a type B input to allow it to be used as an external computer DAC.

The difference between the Oppo and the exasound is that under windows the exasound has a native ASIO driver and it supports right up to DSD256 on all channels (PCM384KHZ). It is also better isolated when connected to a PC than the Oppo.

With the Oppo I prefer connecting via an NAA when the computer is the source, for this reason.

Not for decoding multi-channel (dolby digital, et al) it won't. Unless I'm mistaken the only way to access more than 2 channel on the e28 is via the USB input from a computer.

The Oppo doesn't have a USB output which you can connect to an external DAC. The various USB connections on an Oppo BDP-105 are for connecting to drives for playing back music and video files and a USB input to utilise the Oppo as a DAC.

Eloise

Ah, OK. You were talking about Dolby Digital. That's not possible. That's right. Many satellite receivers can output PCM though, that's how it works for me.

You're right about the Oppo. I did not look carefully on a picture of the connections. It's an USB input, not output.

Well you're talking about external AV sources, of course. The exasound is an audio only product and the emphasis is on audio quality. It does have two s/pdif inputs for external audio sources.

My point was purely in reference to your statement "there isn't anything a receiver can do that you couldn't do with the combination of a computer, the exasound and a good screen".

Ah, OK. You were talking about Dolby Digital. That's not possible. That's right. Many satellite receivers can output PCM though, that's how it works for me.

Well I was talking about multi-channel. Even if you tell it to output PCM it won't be multi-channel.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

My point was purely in reference to your statement "there isn't anything a receiver can do that you couldn't do with the combination of a computer, the exasound and a good screen".

Well I was talking about multi-channel. Even if you tell it to output PCM it won't be multi-channel.

Yes, I understand. As I mentioned in my response to you concerning getting Satellite TV into a PC, there are options for this. I don't know whether those options would meet your specific requirements though. I concede your point, since I can't be sure there isn't anything a receiver can do that couldn't be done with a computer, exasound and a screen.

I suspect though that any restrictions that exist are other then technically based. After all a receiver is really just a sort of dumb computer.

Yes, I understand. As I mentioned in my response to you concerning getting Satellite TV into a PC, there are options for this. I don't know whether those options would meet your specific requirements though.

Nothing I have come across (and I have researched it extensively) allows a Dolby Digital signal in; decoded and then output to multi-channel DAC. There were a few cards which could decode an external DD signal but this was stopped by Windows due to DRM (iirc). None would allow multi-channel via HDMI either which would be needed for something like a PS3 in a general HT system.

Anyway was rather off topic but related to the limitations of the e28 beyond a "file" player.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Nothing I have come across (and I have researched it extensively) allows a Dolby Digital signal in; decoded and then output to multi-channel DAC.

Dolby Digital, AKA AC-3 is quite generic standard and there's not much magic in it.

VLC and MPlayer can do decoding while playing back at least.

You can also use FFmpeg to strip DD/DTS content for example to a FLAC output.

DVB viewer can work straight with USB DVB-C and DVB-T tuners (and I guess DVB-S too).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Dolby Digital, AKA AC-3 is quite standard and there's not much magic in it.

VLC and MPlayer can do decoding while playing back at least.

You can also use FFmpeg to strip DD/DTS content for example to a FLAC output.

Miska ... It's easy to decode; but from all my research I cannot find a (currently available) sound card which which will accept an AC-3 stream from an EXTERNAL device (such as a Sky HD box).

Eloise

PS and no I can't just put a sat card in a PC because Sky won't let you use a decoder card in third party devices.

Eloise

---

The Oppo could be used instead of the exasound, since it does have HDMI inputs. It's a very flexible machine. In its latest 105D incarnation it can be used as a DSD128 DAC and that should work for multi-channel DSD sources as well.

Yes Audio_Elf is correct. It has USB type A inputs for external drives, and a type B input to allow it to be used as an external computer DAC.

The difference between the Oppo and the exasound is that under windows the exasound has a native ASIO driver and it supports right up to DSD256 on all channels (PCM384KHZ). It is also better isolated when connected to a PC than the Oppo.

To clarify, I have both 5.1 DSD downloads that I feed from JRiver through usb into the DAC, but I also have a large SACD disc collection. Currently, as far as I know most, if not all SACD players (Oppo included) will output a digital signal only via HDMI (some may have a stereo, but not multichannel spdif out). Therefore, it seems as though you can only feed multichannel SACD output into the ExaSound e-28 by first ripping the SACD onto a hard-drive and then outputting that signal through usb.

Of course, all of this assumes that the sound quality of the ExaSound is better than that of the Oppo BDP-105 or whatever SACD player you are using.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Miska ... It's easy to decode; but from all my research I cannot find a (currently available) sound card which which will accept an AC-3 stream from an EXTERNAL device (such as a Sky HD box).

With some tweaking, you could make a Linux box do audio decoding for you on-the-fly through S/PDIF input.

But there are at least two devices:

HD51R Digital Audio Decoder - Tmart / Digital Audio converter DTS/AC-3 Digital Surround Sound Audio Decoder (HD51R) [HD51R] - US$43.60 : wholesale smartphone tablet pc dvb-mix order save shipping

and

Welcome to CYPRESS TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD.

To clarify, I have both 5.1 DSD downloads that I feed from JRiver through usb into the DAC, but I also have a large SACD disc collection. Currently, as far as I know most, if not all SACD players (Oppo included) will output a digital signal only via HDMI (some may have a stereo, but not multichannel spdif out). Therefore, it seems as though you can only feed multichannel SACD output into the ExaSound e-28 by first ripping the SACD onto a hard-drive and then outputting that signal through usb.

Of course, all of this assumes that the sound quality of the ExaSound is better than that of the Oppo BDP-105 or whatever SACD player you are using.

As my review states many times I would be surprised if you could find an SACD/universal player that sounds as good via multichannel. Good luck. And yes, I have several terabytes of multichannel DSD music, ripped from my SACD catalog or part of my NativeDSD collection. Multichannel DSD (and PCM) through USB is the intent of this DAC.

As my review states many times I would be surprised if you could find an SACD/universal player that sounds as good via multichannel.

Apart from Sony players, every other player is based on the same Mediatek platform? At least I don't remember seeing anything else than Sony or Mediatek.

And Sony chipset is the only one that can do level/delay/x-over adjustments for DSD without reverting to PCM. (and HQPlayer can do the same in software)

As my review states many times I would be surprised if you could find an SACD/universal player that sounds as good via multichannel. Good luck. And yes, I have several terabytes of multichannel DSD music, ripped from my SACD catalog or part of my NativeDSD collection. Multichannel DSD (and PCM) through USB is the intent of this DAC.

I assume you went the PS3 route for your ripping? Do you have an associated software preference? I was hoping to avoid the work, but I fear you are correct on your other points.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I assume you went the PS3 route for your ripping? Do you have an associated software preference? I was hoping to avoid the work, but I fear you are correct on your other points.

Yes, I wrote the book (guide) on PS3 ripping. :) I sent you a PM. I love JRiver (and also HQPlayer) as they will play both unextracted SACD ISOs as well as, of course, the extracted DSF files. The ISOs contain both stereo and mch tracks, but easily filtered via a JRiver custom view rule (file type is "SACD"..that's what JRIver calls an ISO, and channels "greater than or equal to 3"). I have a couple 20 min screencast videos on using JRIver.

Apart from Sony players, every other player is based on the same Mediatek platform? At least I don't remember seeing anything else than Sony or Mediatek.

And Sony chipset is the only one that can do level/delay/x-over adjustments for DSD without reverting to PCM. (and HQPlayer can do the same in software)

Yep, and even some cheaper Sony players no longer do DSD channel delays or bass management. I loved their XA777ES...ah the good ole days.

Miska; unless I'm missing something (which may be true) neither of those boxes will let me take the output from either my Sky HD box (via TOSLink or HDMI) decode the Dolby Digital signal and output it to multiple channels of a e28 (or any other multi-channel DAC).

Eloise

Eloise

---

Miska; unless I'm missing something (which may be true) neither of those boxes will let me take the output from either my Sky HD box (via TOSLink or HDMI) decode the Dolby Digital signal and output it to multiple channels of a e28 (or any other multi-channel DAC).

No, because both are DACs on their own... So if want to do precisely that, your best option would be to use some S/PDIF input and chain it with FFmpeg to output to the DAC. Unfortunately exaSound DAC doesn't have Linux drivers.

I'm not sure how good exaSound or other audiophile DACs are for such video use, since they may have fairly large FIFO adding latency. So unless you can do lipsync compensation on your video decoder box, you may end up having severe lip sync problem...

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how did exa's pre fared against the stand alone pre or the pre in his integrated amp?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Has anyone compared sending Redbook to the Exasound vs resampling it to DSD and sending that to the Exasound?

I see in a post above that the Exasound does not work with Linux. Can I use Toslink and DSD with Linux?

Yes, did the comparison 3 days ago, the difference is night and day, especially with HQ Player doing the PCM>DSD.

at the same price point there are DAC's that will do a better job on Redbook , but none of them will do DSD256 (except for the ifi microDSD).

beta release of Linux driver for Exasound is coming in weeks, not months and will support DSD256

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

ggking7,

I find that sending good quality Redbook upsampled to at least 192, to the e22, sounds as good or better than upsampling to DSD 256. Also I find that sending not so good Redbook via DSD 256 to the e22, especially older cds, sounds better than just PCM upsampled to 192+. Note: that upsampling to anything less than 256, such as 64 or 128 sounds worst to my ears than upsampling PCM or straight Redbook playing. YMMV I don't know anything about Linux. Just my 2 cents worth.

Music Server(s):Mac Mini w/UpTone linear power supply JS-2, SoTM 200 w/LPS-1, AQ Diamond USB cable,

Music Server Operating System:Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, Roon, HQP, A+

USB Digital to Analog Converter(s):PS Audio DS Jr. w/UpTone Audio ReGen  w/ LPS-1 Power Supply

Preamplifier:PS Audio BHK preamp; Amplifier(s):Parasound Amplifier A21; Loudspeakers:Magnapan 3.7

Loudspeaker Cables:AudioQuest CV8

Yes, did the comparison 3 days ago, the difference is night and day, especially with HQ Player doing the PCM>DSD.

at the same price point there are DAC's that will do a better job on Redbook , but none of them will do DSD256 (except for the ifi microDSD).

beta release of Linux driver for Exasound is coming in weeks, not months and will support DSD256

Very nice! exaSound is always on the cutting edge. Not surprising since they had the first consumer DAC to support DSD256.

Speaking of the HQ Player, haven't seen any information on how to configure it with the exaSound. Any tips you can offer?