IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

Hi Kal

that's exactly what I would hope to do, since Jriver can act like that, and I'm already doing that but via HDMI, not bitstreaming to my RSP1570.

But you do confirm that via coaxial in the EX28, I could send a 6.1 PCM flow, that would then go out via analog to my parasound P7.

would mean I could use the DAC for THREE uses: HIFI via usb, movie via coaxial, and my grado PS1000 via headphone out....

If that is true...I'll sell my HPA8C right now.

Deanorthk,

I get the sense you are trying to make the e28 into something it is not. First off, SPDIF (coax) does not support multichannel PCM; the only multichannel signals available via SPDIF are things like DTS or AC3 (lossy compressed). Use USB for multichannel lossless hirez.

It may sound stupid, but I was looking as this product, and I do wonder...

Actually, I have a 2 pc setup, one beeing HTPC and controlling the second one, purely for HIFI.

HTPC output sound and video hmdi to processor, pc hifi USB to fostex HPA8C DAC.

The EX 28... If I use USB from my HIFI pc to the EX28, I'll get DSD and everything, including headphone out for my grado PS1000, that is clear enough in my head.

But...

on my HTPC, as I'm using jriver for movies (BR, MKV), would it be possible to send PCM over EX28 coaxial in, and output 7 channel PCM to my halo P7, to get DTS HD for example?

Hello deanorthk,

There are two possible configurations that you can try. If you want to keep all your components integrated in the same system, you will use the Parasound Halo P7 preamplifier as an input selector. One of the 7.1 inputs will be used for the e28 DAC, the other one for the ROTEL RSP1570 surround processor. Your other DAC and the remaining stereo sources will be connected as usual to the stereo inputs of the Parasound Halo P7. The e28 DAC will be connected to one of your PCs via USB. You will have to use this computer for multichannel and DSD playback with J River.

In your email you mention that you intend to connect the other PC via SPDIF to the e28. This is possible, but I don't see the benefits. The sound quality over SPDIF is not as good as with Asynchronous USB. DSD is not available over SPDIF. Basically SPDIF is limited to 192 kHz stereo PCM. It is useful if you have a CD transport, for computer applications you will have superior results with the USB input.

The e28 DAC is designed for uncompromised quality for stereo and multichannel applications. I don't see why you need a second PC for stereo. Since you have it, perhaps your stereo DAC can be used with the Hi-Fi PC.

You may be surprised to discover that the e28 DAC will work the same way with both computers. The Hi-Fi-optimized PC with the e28 may not sound any better than the HTPC with the e28. This may not be the case with your other DAC. exaSound DACs are insensitive to computer noise and Jitter.

The second configuration that you can try is to connect the e28 DAC directly to the W4S SX500 monoblocks and the Velodyne subwoofer. You may find that eliminating the preamplifier makes the sound more natural and more open. If you do this, J River will become your universal media hub. This configuration is less versatile. I don't know if it will work for you, but I encourage you to try it.

Hi, and thanks Exa

I read you correctly.

Why a second pc? Because I use Jplay in stream mode, means the second pc is just a transport, and my HTPC is the control pc, with Jriver with two zone, one for music, the other for video. The second pc is optimised, Xeon cpu underclocked to 1500mhz, ECC ram, tweaked motherboard cloack etc etc...:(

But yes, I've understood that using jriver to send 5.1PCM through usb will get me highest quality, that is clear.

Sadly I cannont connect anything directly to my SX500 blocks, since on the Parasound halo P7, my rotel processor is also connected, since on it is connected PS4 and sat decoder via HDMI.

My fostex HPA8C is limited to DSD 176 through usb on windows. .... So that would leave me selling my second pc and my fostex dax, optimise my HTPC (windows 2012 tweaked), and hope for the Exa 28 to give me a high quality for both BR playing, and hifi playing.

That's a rather costly bet, considering how far Reunion island is from Exasound birth place...my brain is boiling, sigh:)

Hi, and thanks Exa

I read you correctly.

Why a second pc? Because I use Jplay in stream mode, means the second pc is just a transport, and my HTPC is the control pc, with Jriver with two zone, one for music, the other for video. The second pc is optimised, Xeon cpu underclocked to 1500mhz, ECC ram, tweaked motherboard cloack etc etc...:(

Check the exaSound Blog. They do not recommend using JPlay with the exaSound DACs:

In our view JPlay is an unnecessary layer of processing. We like, use and endorse Windows players like J River Media Center and Foobar. We like them because they give the user control over the sound processing. With these players we can turn on as little or as many features as we need. More importantly, we understand what is going on within the player. JPlay works in magic ways, and therefore we prefer to stay away from it.

Should I use JPlay with exaSound DACs? > exaSound Audio Design

After 40mn of smart chat with George (he survived my terrible french english accent, I do speak like a mad cow:p), I'm convinced, I'll order the e28, it's...I don't know any other way to say it, but this will simplify my installation, yet without losing quality.

And with the remote I have (logitech harmony ultimate) I will be able to control everything, and switch to the three activities (HC, hifi, headphone) so easily... it's a lot of money to spend, but I sense it could be an ultimate evolution for me.

Just 2 oceans to cross, one sea, three continent, and it'll be hone (saying it like that, make it fearsome:p)

DSD256 for Mac OS X Mavericks

tyler69, thank you for announcing DSD256 for OS X on this thread. The release of the new generation exaSound drivers for Mavericks is the next step in our effort to support the highest sampling rates.

OS X Mavericks brings back Integer mode. Our drivers utilize the new Core Audio architecture - Integer Mode and Exclusive mode should work flawlessly with Audirvana and J River.

Hi George,

Your new drivers for the Mac shine as a gem. The SQ is so improved that I can't believe it...!

Is like to have a full new DAC. Now I'm tempted for e22... (I have the e20 Mark II)

Kind regards,

Roch

Hi George,

any news about the ASIO driver for OSX?

KR

Matt

For enthusiasts interested in pushing the technology even further, exaSound announces a new ASIO driver technology for OS X. We are working with leading player developers to enable ASIO support in their programs. Documentation and sample code is available to interested third parties.

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

The ASIO driver is included in the current version of the exaSound software bundle for Mac. It is up to the player developers to take advantage of it. I hope to see announcements in the near future. It is bad luck to disclose information before everything is tested :)

During the past few months exaSound received numerous requests to integrate the exaSound hardware volume control with JRemote. JRemote volume control is synchronized with J River and can be used to control the Windows system volume. The exaSound hardware volume control is independent from the Windows sound system. Until now JRemote users had to use an infrared remote for volume control.

To address this issue we developed a JRiver plug-in that provides three-way synchronization between the JRiver / JRemote user interface, the exaSound Dashboard application and our DACs. When volume is changed by the IR remote or from the DAC front panel, the volume sliders on the screen are synchronized. When the volume is changed by JRiver or JRemote, the DAC display shows the volume change.

The exaSound plug-in for J River can be downloaded from our website. When you install it you will see exaSound listed in J River under Services & Plug-ins. Select it and use the checkbox to enable or disable volume synchronization. You will also need to upgrade the exaSound Dashboard to the current version 3.5.27. Finally please make sure that JRiver volume mode is set to Application Volume or System Volume.

Let us know about your experience.

That's great news on being able to control volume with JRemote! I'll be trying it out shortly.

CAPSv3 Carbon running Jriver -> Audioquest Carbon USB -> Exasound E20 -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference -> Simaudio W-5 -> Acoustic Zen Satori -> Dynaudio Contour S3.4

Great news indeed. Seems to work with JRemote (e20 mkIII, BootCamp Windows7 x64, latest JRiver). However unforuntantely when bitstreaming DSD still one has to use the Dashboard to control the volume..Any chance to make this new feature also work with (bitstreamed) DSD files?

Great news indeed. Seems to work with JRemote (e20 mkIII, BootCamp Windows7 x64, latest JRiver). However unforuntantely when bitstreaming DSD still one has to use the Dashboard to control the volume..Any chance to make this new feature also work with (bitstreamed) DSD files?

Unfortunately this limitation is on the JRiver side. JRiver works the same way with all other DACs. It disables volume control in bitstreaming mode.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a E20 MK III with the 0.83 fs clock

So far I have used it with Sonos connect over Toslink and it performs very well, but I did not get the E20 for that.

I bought the E20 to play DSD128 sourced from JRiver MC19 converting from Redbook. I have now had a chance to hear HQ Player doing Redbook to DSD128

The results of the HQ Player feeding DSD128 to the E20 Mk III is simply stunning to my old ears. I never thought that a Redbook source could sound so good. For me it's better than vinyl. Female voices, and acoustic instruments are the big winners, there is more information presented which adds a layer of texture to the voices. The sound is engaging and captivating.

The E20 has a sound comparable to new DSD DAC's costing twice as much. The competent Oppo 105 is not in the same league as the E20. I have not heard the W4S DAC2 DSD or the new M2 Young DSD, but if they are as good as the E20 those owners are in for a treat.

do try HQ Player, it's digital Alchemy, transforming 16/44 lead in to DSD 128 gold

i have not been this excited about HiFi in years !

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the E20 to play DSD128 sourced from JRiver MC19 converting from Redbook. I have now had a chance to hear HQ Player doing Redbook to DSD128

The results of the HQ Player feeding DSD128 to the E20 Mk III is simply stunning to my old ears. I never thought that a Redbook source could sound so good. For me it's better than vinyl. Female voices, and acoustic instruments are the big winners, there is more information presented which adds a layer of texture to the voices. The sound is engaging and captivating.

Much of my music is red book as well and i also use JRiver. Where in JRiver do you set it to convert to DSD?

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Much of my music is red book as well and i also use JRiver. Where in JRiver do you set it to convert to DSD?

Two things:

1) In Jriver go to tools -> options ->audio ->settings (DSP) -> and then use pulldown in output encoding to pick DSD via DoP (or DSD128 assuming your DAC is capable of either), but....

2) the posters main point was that he switched from JRiver to HQPlayer and likes it much better.

Two things:

1) In Jriver go to tools -> options ->audio ->settings (DSP) -> and then use pulldown in output encoding to pick DSD via DoP (or DSD128 assuming your DAC is capable of either), but....

2) the posters main point was that he switched from JRiver to HQPlayer and likes it much better.

Thanks, I will try that out. I understood he switched from JR to HQ, but I'm quite happy with JR, for now anyway. I think Audirvana+ sounds better, but it crashes now that I have the exasound.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

MC 19 doing Redbook to DSD will not disappoint. HQ Player and Foobar with Maxim's SACD plug-in are even better in SQ, but not as friendly to use as JRiver.

if you have not heard HQP and FB-SACD, you could happily stay with MC19 for a very long time ;-)

to my old ears MC19 doing Redbook to DSD already sounds better than most vinyl

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Did anyone compare the Teddy Pardo 12/2 Power Supply with the Paul Hynes SR3-12 PS?

tgx78, what about your USB cable comparison for the e20? Any news?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Did anyone compare the Teddy Pardo 12/2 Power Supply with the Paul Hynes SR3-12 PS?

In a few days I will have the Paul Hynes SR3-12, now I'm using a KingRex Mark II, I will report when the PH arrives.

Regarding USB cables (even if the question is not directed to me) I found exaSound is completely immune to this cables, and I have a lot!...

Now I'm breaking in a new exaSound e22 (previously had an e20) and I'm fascinated with its SQ: 3D soundstage, detail never before heard and the best and accurate bass in the industry!...

Roch

I only have teddy pardo 12/2 and some 12v-2A Lithium Polymer batteries to compare..

Teddy Pardo gave better dynamics and freq. extension while battery powered e20 had a slightly smoother tone.

I prefer the Teddy Pardo.

USB cables, someone said it doesn't make any difference in his exasound DAC but I do hear differences.

I just received ifi iusb, ipurifier along with ifi gemini usb cable. I need to do more a/b listening before letting you know which is my favorite usb cable so far.

SR Tesla Plex SE > 8 PS Audio Noise Harvesters > Blue Circle PLC Thigee > HiDiamond P4 > HQ Player > Jitterbug > USB Adapter > Regen > USB adapter > exaSound e20 mkIII (with TeddyPardo PSU) > High Fidelity CT-1UR > Emotiva XPA-1s > OTA Storatos SC > Magnepan 3.6R custom crossover + 2 REL T-7