IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

This is the reason why I did not go for the E20 but chose the Benchmark DAC2 instead. In particular, I did not want to put myself in a situation where, if I needed repair or a replacement, I might have to pay Canadian duty on my shipment back to Canada and EU duty on the shipment of the repaired/replaced unit to Europe. As Benchmark is distributed in Western Europe, I could order my DAC2 from my usual dealer -- which also meant that I got three hours of his time fine-tuning my system (especially my active room-correcting subwoofer), a valuable addition.

Hi Boris,

On this side of the world (where I live) I have to take the risk. For gear there are dealers here, no problem, we have very good technicians. When there is no dealership normally manufacturers send us diagrams and parts. Honestly in my lengthly audiophile live I had very few issues, but I do take care to protect my gear with industrial surge arrestors, as everyone ought to do anywhere in the world.

Roch

I am full of envy here ;)

I would not attach too much importance to those jitter numbers though, especially when they are presented with no frequency reference.

The "jitter numbers" are very evident...! Even if I'm not an experienced digital technician.

The listening proof is very easy: Try to listen to Redbook with this DAC and then from another...

Roch

We, in Europe, have to pay VAT and customs when we recieve the goods and have the risk to pay "again" VAT and customs for an "used item" sent to factory to repair it.

Brands must have distributors all over the world.

The same over here, every time a good gets in pay the full rate, used (from repair) or new, and our import taxes are huge. This is for we try to repair on place.

Roch

Hi Roch,

Thanks for your very interesting post. It seems that we made different decisions based on contrasting experiences. My audiophile life is relatively short (3 years - before that I was just a mid-to-hifi user), and in this short life my subwoofer failed once (with its amp section having to be sent to the manufacturer for repair) and I had an amp that failed three times (static on left channel, then static on the right channel, then static on the right channel again). It went to the manufacturer twice. The last time it failed, my dealer convinced me to upgrade -- and I am very pleased with the move. After these experiences, I am quite reluctant to buy an item if it does not come with sound support.

Which sort of industrial surge protector are you using? I am interested in buying one based on your recommendation in your post.

Cheers,

Boris.

Boris, I'm using the 10R-1U-20WI (#002-00153), but they are several models. This brand is expensive but do what it have to do, plus it doesn't 'add' nor 'remove' nothing to the music, like some other capacitive filters I used before since it's only for spikes protection.

10 Outlet Models | Zero Surge

Best,

Roch

Christopher, if possible can you try the e20 with and without your iFi USB Power and report any difference? It is my understanding that the e20 should not benefit from something like this. Its USB power is isolated.

I own the iFi USB Power and dual conduit USB cable. I feel (to my ears) there is no benefit, doesn't needed. I'm using the WireWorld Starlight USB cable (1 meter), but with the Mini B connector, I don't like adapters that I also tried.

Regarding LPSU, I own the KingRex Mark II and I feel it improves the SQ, but not for a big margin. I'm still waiting for the Paul Hynes (since April...!)

Roch

• 7 months later...
DSD256 for Mac OS X Mavericks

tyler69, thank you for announcing DSD256 for OS X on this thread. The release of the new generation exaSound drivers for Mavericks is the next step in our effort to support the highest sampling rates.

OS X Mavericks brings back Integer mode. Our drivers utilize the new Core Audio architecture - Integer Mode and Exclusive mode should work flawlessly with Audirvana and J River.

Hi George,

Your new drivers for the Mac shine as a gem. The SQ is so improved that I can't believe it...!

Is like to have a full new DAC. Now I'm tempted for e22... (I have the e20 Mark II)

Kind regards,

Roch

• 1 month later...
Did anyone compare the Teddy Pardo 12/2 Power Supply with the Paul Hynes SR3-12 PS?

tgx78, what about your USB cable comparison for the e20? Any news?

In a few days I will have the Paul Hynes SR3-12, now I'm using a KingRex Mark II, I will report when the PH arrives.

Regarding USB cables (even if the question is not directed to me) I found exaSound is completely immune to this cables, and I have a lot!...

Now I'm breaking in a new exaSound e22 (previously had an e20) and I'm fascinated with its SQ: 3D soundstage, detail never before heard and the best and accurate bass in the industry!...

Roch

Roch,

before e22 you had e20 III .082ps? I was thinking if it's worth upgrading from e20 III (.082ps) to their new e22.

I had the e20 II (the first one?), but a close friend has the III. The only thing I can tell you is that the Femto Clocks brings the e22 to further extraordinary levels in detail, musicality and background silence. They are hard to burn in than the previous e20. I'm in about 300 hours today, I guess it needs 400.

Roch

Jitter Nos are not particularly meaningful in terms of sound quality.

[...]

Of course not, but you can use to compare different DACs, then it came the implementation where exaSound takes a lot of care regarding power regulation (11 linear power filtering stages). Not to mention their proprietary USB, that to my ears & system, you don't need to spend fortunes in USB cables.

The other numbers (like THD, etc.) and graphs are posted in their web pages, for those interested.

Regarding Jitter, I like better a DAC with low jitter specs, even if they are embedded jitter in the digital recordings. I don't want the sum of both. Then comes the question of how each DAC handles the embedded jitter.

exaSound's George Klissarov is very easy to reach and he has been very honest with me when I ask him questions and responds quickly to the same. Plus he gives you a 30 days money back trade.

Everything else mentioned can be very speculative. At the end "'the proof of the pudding is in the eating..."

Happy listening!

Roch

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks again Miska!

What about getting high-rate DSD into the Exasound DACs? Jesus R now produces the SOtM SMS100 which he says will provide DSD128 via USB, and DSD256 when HQPlayer's "NAA" (Network Audio Adapter) software is installed...I hope I understood his information. Can anyone confirm if this is a way to play DSD256? And are there other means when one has the new Exasound DACs? The Auralic Aries is another NAA (on steroids) contender it appears.

Also, can JRiver or other software like HQPlayer send out DSD256 via ethernet to renderers like the SMS100? (I think I heard so.)

I am rebuilding my system to get my computer away from my DAC into another room. And I don't change gear often, so I want to be sure the whole system can easily handle these formats that people are yelling about. I definitely want to try to convert my redbook files to DSD128 to learn if the sound improvement is really "all that." Then again Chord says it does this and more with the ultra-up-and-oversampling Hugo and a future reference DAC.

New exaSound e20, e22 & e28 DACs can play DSD 64, 128 & 256 on a Mac and on Windows PC and by USB.

exa.jpg

Roch

Hi Miska,

All exaSound DACs offer FIFO functionality that provides asynchronous decoupling between the DAC and the computer. What are the benefits of using the NAA (Network Audio Adapter) with our DACs?

Hi George,

Could you explain "FIFO functionality". I just read is "First In First Out" but I'm still a novice in digital theory and USB communication, although I have a lot of USB DACs.

I still admired by the wonder of the USB port on the exaSound DAC and its immunity to different USB cables that I have, from normal to extra expensive.

I also tried the Coaxial SPDIF port on the exaSound with an extraordinay USB interface, but the USB direct connection wins (to my ears and system).

Thanks in advance,

Roch

I can confirm that using ifi ipurifier (usb filter) on exaSound made zero improvement on SQ.

In fact, I think ipurifier degraded SQ slightly by introducing another chain between the signal-path.

With it in place, I could not even play DSD256 materials.

I am currently in very old building with terrible power grid, so my main focus was to improve power delivery

to the DAC. I now have 6 PS audio Noise Harvester around my main system to clean out AC line noises.

Blue Circle audio PLC thingee to further clean out ac power going to Teddy Pardo power supply.

Battery powered iUSB to the DAC with short usb cable to the iusb and adapter from iusb to e20.

I think I reached my audio nirvana for now until I finally upgrade my speakers to the 20.7

This are very good products for power problems, TORUS Power:

Torus Power

And this a very nice USA dealer:

Home Theaters & Acoustic Consulting | San Francisco, Marin, Bay Area, Worldwide | Acoustic Frontiers

Roch

• 2 weeks later...
If you're experimenting with the various DSD resolution modes on the exaSound e20 (I have an exaSound e28 here), check out the Free DSD downloads over at the "Just Listen" section of NativeDSD.Com

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

They have 8 files in native and resampled resolutions from DSD64 to DSD256 in both Stereo and Multichannel. Includes Jazz, Latin, Classical Guitar music. Found it helpful - and of course, exaSound is one of the few companies with DACs even supporting DSD256! :)

Last night I was listening (again, again & again) Ricardo GALLEN, Fernando SOR, Guitar Sonatas, Study, with my exaSound e22, Audirvana Plus & Mac Mini on DSD256. And I'm still admired because it was a live guitar and guitarist in my listening room.

We urgently need more music in this resolution with this DAC.

Cheers!

Roch

Sadly that may well be the case for quite a while as DSD64 upsampled sounds so superb already.

However for good DAC's DSD256 Playback is essential, it sounds so much better than DSD128, it's not subtle. The difference is an Order of magnitude greater than the difference between 24/96 and 24/192 (I struggle to hear much of a difference)

Kudos to George and his colleagues for pushing the envelope, it. has real paid off big time in sound quality

+1

C'mon Wisnon, let us dream!... (And enjoy 256)

Did you remember so little time ago where a lot of people said DSD64 would not succeed?

Now we are getting some DSD128, I can't think why no DSD256...

I guess Lukasz Fikus is wise enough to get 256 from his DACs.

Cheers!

Roch

Each time you are doubling space! Bruce Brown from Puget agrees with me. He has tons of DSD equipment and cant hear any difference between 128 and 256, and said something about 256 only developed for MC mixing as the UHF violates Scarlett book standards.

I always said that DSD 64 would succeed, but I dont expect commercial viability from 128, much less 256. People can upsample yes and vinyl rip yes, but I dont expect tons of DL options from the higher frequencies. I could be wrong and hope I am.

I still cant imagine anything better than the DSD128 I currenty enjoy. How to improve on perfection?

Good for Bruce, he is saving space!...

Now I have 12TB of hard drive space, plus backup, then I'm ready...

Why Bruce don't speak by himself?

I'm going to bed now, dreaming about dsd256, will be long, long dreams (just teasing...)

Best,

Roch

Three months ago exaSound developed an extension to the ASIO standard for Mac OS X.

Today I am happy to announce that Decibel - a very straightforward to use Mac OS X audio player with a clean and user friendly interface - has just become the first Mac OS X audiophile-grade player with ASIO support.

Decibel supports both DSD over PCM (DoP) and native DSD over ASIO. Check it out on the new company website www.feisty-dog.com and on sbooth.org.

You can find out more about the exaSound ASIO for Mac OS X on the exaSound blog:

Decibel 1.3 - The First Audiophile Player with Mac OS X ASIO Support

DSD 256 Available on Mac for the First Time

Great news George!...

This was a must for every Mac user, and not to be dependent anymore on Core Audio capricious support to 'integer mode' depending on the OS X of the day.

Just beginning to listen now, then I can't tell you nothing about the SQ, plus, just burning in a Paul Hynes LPSU with my exaSound e22.

Processor use is the half under ASIO & DSD than on Core Audio. Then there is a difference between DoP and Native DSD playback, as I noticed several years before, but everybody contradicts me (I don't want discussions about this, please).

Kind regards,

Roch

Roch, Dear Old Friend, it's time you got a new front end. I'll just take that dusty 'ol dac off your hands, won't even charge you cause, well, I love you man.

Well, my buy and sell department has a lot of activity in my small country.

Unfortunately I can not export, thanks to our horrible mail facilities.

Cheers!

Roch

• 2 months later...
Got the e20... so far so good. About as click-free as I could hope for (although not 100% free, but nothing is bothersome... my OCDness in this area led to the demise of my previous DACs.) ...................

On a Mac (ASIO Mac driver) and last Decibel version it's click-free.

Roch

• 2 weeks later...

From the AudioStream review, "Resolution, focus and definition from top to bottom were excellent. Most users will find this to be a very revealing DAC that can dig down to expose the smallest details of the music. Now some of you might think that this level of detail comes at a price; hardness and a lack of warmth."

This hardness and a lack of warmth doesn't come from the DAC , but from the recording itself...!

Roch

IF we are talking about the e22 DAC:

"Now some of you might think that this level of detail comes at a price; hardness and a lack of warmth. But nothing could be further from the truth concerning the sound of the e22 DAC."

While no one will argue with you about the quality of recordings, not all DACs fulfill your statement. At least not in my experience.

Pardon me my bad English.

What I was trying to say (regarding the e22 of course): From bad (hard & lack of warmth) recordings , you can get this bad , but not by fault of the e22.

With some other DACs you can get hardiness & lack of warmth from nice recordings. Or the contrary, removed hardiness & added warmth from bad recordings. The same with some music players?

BTW , I never make "statements" , but opinions (or experiences) , like you.

Best,

Roch

I hope that from now on every DSD DAC will come with Mac ASIO drivers. DoP, after all, was just a pro tem solution for Mac computers.

Hiro,

The same hope over here. But ASIO drivers are ready for the Mac, thanks to George Klissarov. I believe are the music players developers that need to adopt them...!

Roch

Intro

From the land of ice hockey, frozen wine, and decent beer, comes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14380[/ATTACH]

Two DACs manufactured by a small company in Canada called exaSound, run by a smart guy named George Klissarov. Both support PCM up to 32/384 and DSD up to DSD256 over USB. The e20 mkIII will run you $2499 and the e22 will run you $3499. exaSound also sells an 8-channel DAC called the e28, for $3849. See here for a spec comparison chart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14385[/ATTACH]

From a Mac user point o view:

Fully agree with your great review.

Mac ASIO drivers changed my opinion of what digital music can be improved versus Mac Core Audio, allowing DSD to be played as it should: out of DoP.

I have a Paul Hynes LPSU that make some improvements over the standard SPSU, but not heaven to earth. Thanks to exaSound power regulation:

"An external SMPS power supply with 11 power cleaning stages within the DAC. These multiple power cleaning stages allow every circuit to be powered separately with its own stage of power regulation. This feature prevents one power stage from modulating another stage helping to eliminate one source of DAC jitter."

My question goes to the "big" guys, if an "small company in Canada" can built ASIO drivers for the Mac, what are you waiting for?

Roch

DoP solves more than just Mac problems... People a lot cleverer than you or I worked on the problem to come up with the solution. I'm not saying it's the only solution but others have issues too!

To use ASIO for DSD every DAC manufacturer (or at least every USB interface design) requires custom written drivers. And remember 9 months ago we were all bemoaning every device who had chosen M2Tech interfaces for this very reason... How soon people forget!

Again; the exaSound ASIO drivers are only of use to those with an exaSound DAC. It may be possible to write a UAC2.0 complient ASIO driver but I am unsure if this would automatically support DSD except via DoP any more than the Core Audio driver does.

Things are not as simple/easy as you make out.

You should also not that ASIO drivers / software rely on another third party in the form of Steinberg so you are reliant on them as well as the player software and the DAC manufacturer for continued support.

I find it amazing how fickle people can be jumping on the latest bandwagon because one manufacturer announces it as the next big thing...

Eloise

Good things are not always easy, but posible...

I didn't jump to the latest bandwagon (exaSound ASIO). I had exaSound DACs before ASIO. Even under Core Audio exaSound delivered a great SQ!

Please read my previous post in this thread.

Roch