IGNORED

Which way to jump ... Apple or Windows

Hi Laurent - I haven't tried any PC software for room correction.

I think it all comes down to reproducing the audio exactly how the artists intended it to sound. If that means the traditional method or room correction devices I don't think it really matters. They both lead to the same result is done very well. I think room correction devices are likely better at what they do and easier to use than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by creating a sound friendly environment in a listening room that was not built as a listening room.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Couldn't resist jumping in here, as I have been messing around with room treatments and digital room correction for awhile.

(Sorry, I realize this is a Windows vs. Apple thread, but the discussion has come around to this. I think there may be another thread somewhere on room correction from sometime in the past...)

I actually use a TacT digital room correction unit and will never do without this type of device in my main system. The results are that impressive.

I have a dedicated listening room and have a number of 'conventional' room treatment devices made by ASC (Acoustic Science Corporation - makers of the 'tube trap'). These include: an 'Iso-wall' construction system for the walls and ceiling, corner tube traps and 'Sound Planks' (acoustical panels) for the walls. These type of devices can definitley help with alot of sound problems, like standing waves, slap echo, etc. The difference with vs. without the tube traps and sound planks is easy to hear. However, there are problems that these devices just can't fully correct, in my experience. This is especially true in the sub-100 Hz region, but really throughout the entire frequency spectrum.

I was quite hesitant and skeptical to pursue this, given what most of us hear about polluting the chain, un-natural manipulation of data, etc. Nonetheless, I wasn't satisfied with the sound of my room (especially the bass), and had enough experience with various electronics and speakers (and of course speaker placement/listening position) to know that the room itself was the main problem. I was also having a hard time integrating a pair of subwoofers (JL Audio f113's), despite extensive fiddling using the much-touted Bryston '10B-Sub' crossover. Digital room correction was for me the final frontier. So I took the plunge and got a TacT unit that is designed for a 2.2 channel setup.

The difference that the TacT digital room correction unit makes is incredible, at leat in my system and (less than optimally proportioned) room. To see graphically the before and after effects of this device on the room's frequency curve is quite an eye-opener. The capabilities of this type of device are extensive. You can select from a variety of 'target curves' included with the software, or construct your own target curves, any of which can be stored on presets. Integration of the subs is seamless, with the ability of the device to precisely measure and correct for time-delay for subs to mains, use virtually any crossover point and select from a wide range of crossover slopes.

With just a touch of the 'bypass' button on the remote the effects are immediately heard. You really have to hear a system with digital room correction, and go back and forth from corrected to bypass to appreciate what it can do.

Rance