IGNORED

Impressions of Transfered Music files

Tonto

I have just transfered about 40gb of MP3s 320kb material from my PS3 to my laptop (Strange, i know). I did this via an inbetween transfer to a USB HD as the PS3 doesnt transfer upstream over a network.

Now the pickle is the audio sounds better on the PS3 HD compared with the USB Drive connected to the PS3 which in turn sounds better than acessing the laptop over the network?????? All using the PS3 music browser. Any ideas? I'm blaming the PS3 for now as it is the unknown quantity. What worries me is if it has changed the files somehow during data transfer or is this impossible?

Anyway for the time being I'm still going ahead with a Linux/Songbird install on the PS3 as I want to re-rip everything to FLAC anyways. Hopefully with it will come some more consistant file playback but I'm not holding my breath - The more I play around with the PS3 the more a Sonos or Mac Mini option appeals but 'watch this space'.

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer

Hi Tonto - The last thing in the world I would worry about is some sort of file corruption that can change the sound. I've never seen this, never heard of it, and don't even think it's possible. In fact I'd be willing to bet my Alpha DAC on it :~) If the files were changed somehow they would not play.

Founder of Audiophile Style

UPDATED: My Audio Systems -> https://audiophile.style/system

Thanks for the reassurance Chris - I didn't think so but always good to get other opinion - although I'm sure I could make use of that DAC of yours somewhere! ;p

The change I'm hearing is not small either noticably less bass information and what I hear 'around' a vocal and notes. Like going back to my old reciever actually!

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer