IGNORED

ANOTHER Example of Why I HATE DSD and Why Customers Who Bought Sony's Boloney Are So Annoying

No, THAT would be bad option. For analog volume control, there are plenty stereo pre-amps and integrateds with decent analog volume control. However, try to find a pure audio machine (not AV pre-pro) one with 7.1 channel decent analog volume control and more than one analog multichannel input! Not many options, even less if you'd like to have balanced inputs.

I spent plenty of time trying to find such thing in the past, and the only reasonably priced I found was

Product Lines > Halo > P 7 Preamplifier

I found couple of other devices mainly targeted for studios with $$$ price tags.

There were many such devices available in the past but the appearance of HDMI effectively destroyed much of the market for them. I recently found and purchased a NOS mch analog preamp with 3 mch inputs (one balanced) along with 4 stereo inputs (RCA and XLR) but they are hard to find.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Onkyo PR-SC5509 has DSD Direct conversion for HDMI but then it lacks delay and level adjustments, which I have in player software but it doesn't help with my SACDs... So I'm stuck to Sony and analog outputs when it comes SACD. AVR pre/pro's can of course serve as analog pre, but way too much money goes to the video sections I don't need or use at all...
Of course, your software aside, any AVR/prepro that can implement delay and level adjustments with DSD is converting it to PCM in order to do so.

I saw people very happy with multichannel processores from Arcam and from Classe.

If I was interested in multichannel, I would look into these...

I have had both, as well as the Bryston SP3. All suffer in having only one MCH input and I need several. I could use my Zektor switch with these but I would not have the ability to to balance levels across inputs for comparisons. Believe me, I did not take this step lightly.

Kal Rubinson

I am surprised at the lack of multi channel amps with more than a couple of 6/8 channel inputs though with phonos it does take up a lot of space, could be solved with a couple of 5 pole xlrs or something similar.
I am not surprised. The vast majority of the market does things differently.

Kal Rubinson

• 6 years later...
On 8/14/2013 at 9:42 AM, edorr said:

I have gone through the following hardware / signal paths for MCH SACD playback:

Modded Denon 3910 into McCormack MAP1

Denon 2500 HDMI transport into modded Onkyo 855 SSP (DSD to PCM conversion)

Sony XA 5400 into Onkyo 855 SSP (HDMI DSD Direct)

Marantz UD9004 DSD direct into Theta Six Shooter

Marantz UD9004 DSD direct into Theta Six Shooter, A/D converted into Trinnov processor

Modded Oppo digital out (DSD to PCM conversion) into Trinnov processor

How are you controlling the switching in the Theta Six Shooter?

Kal Rubinson

15 minutes ago, PAR said:

Kal, am I too pessimistic in thinking that  seeking further information from the originator of a post made over 6 years ago in a thread started by someone who sadly passed from us a few years later may be a little optimistic?

Still I may be proved wrong.

Well, I did meet with the poster about a year ago at RMAF and I also sent him an email.  I hope you are wrong.🤞

Kal Rubinson