IGNORED

ANOTHER Example of Why I HATE DSD and Why Customers Who Bought Sony's Boloney Are So Annoying

2 hours ago, Miska said:

It is not, implementing those higher bit count modulators in a cheap way is just easier. That is really only "benefit".

As you know, Rob Watts (designer of all current Chord Electronics UK DACs) has different thoughts. But we don't need to rehash all that again.

Btw, I'm both a Chord DAC owner (bit perfect playback) and HQP Embedded (RME ADI-2 DAC FS in DSD Direct Mode) user.

53 minutes ago, Miska said:

We know for example how RME ADI-2 running in DSD Direct mode performs, compared to how similarly priced Chord Mojo for example performs...

Apples and Oranges though - Mojo needs to survive off battery so DSP needs to be limited.

A better comparison (cost and non-portable) is probably i9-9900K build + RME ADI-2 DAC against Chord Hugo TT2 ....

And for headphones setup you'd need to add a HPA4 to probably match TT2's headphone output performance (especially power).

30 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Let's see ... I am currently using my $1700 Dell Xeon W workstation to run @John Dyson's feralA da-avx decoding, and can do this while running HQPlayer with EC modulators at DSD128, similarly can use this machine with RTX 2080 Ti card for CUDA processing as well as games ...  and it doesn't need a new DAC nor headphones amp when I upgrade ...

Now if I were getting a new DAC that Holo May looks very tasty ...

I'm running DSD256 ASDM7EC with my i9-9900K, so you're trying to preach to the converted 😉

But have you seen Hugo TT2's APx555 measurements and headphones output power?