IGNORED

Help want to use I2S from pc to Perpetual Tech P-1A

I purchased a Perpetual Technologies P-1A processor and a P3-A DAC years ago. I had the desire to use it to build a nice 2 channel system. The P-1A has coax, AES, and i2s inputs. I never accomplished this due to the expense and lack of finding a transport with an I2S output. Long story short, I never was able to complete this and the Perp Tech gear has been sitting in boxes for about 4 years.

FF to now. I would like to build a PC as a music server that outputs into the P1A (preferably with the i2s input) / P3A combo and out to my Onkyo 875 receiver.

Can anyone help with any suggestions that would make this work? Anyone here have any experience making the Perp tech gear work with a PC?

Thanks,

Jason

The Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3 (as well as the older Off-Ramp Turbo 2) has I2S output that is compatible with the PT I2S input. There is also a really good Revelation Audio Labs I2S cable you can use.

The Off-Ramp USB to S/PDIF converters I2S outputs can further be optimized for the PT gear by adding the 5V I2S output option. The converters can also be powered from 12VDC SLA battery. you can see the Off-Ramp 3 here:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

It's not the solution you are looking for and it sounds as though it's way over your budget, but the forthcoming PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport has an I2S output (over HDMI, but I assume an adaptor would be possible, if that were the only problem).

Although the transport is not a computer solution, its ability to play WAV files on data CD or DVD at up to 32 bit/192kHz means that it has at least some of the functionality of a computer-based system

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you are still planning this but...

i2s isn't a panacea to jitter. It was designed to work over mm of circuit board not 10s of cms of cable. A good SPDIF output can be just as good. Also (without being overly negative) your Onkyo reciever is unlikely to be transparent enough for you to notice any differences between the two interfaces.

You'd be better advised (and have much less hastles) with an asynchronous USB interface or low jitter PCI card such as ESI Juli@ or EMu 1010.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi,

The Aztech PCI168 (AZF3328) has unmounted I2S output pins.

While some would consider this card to be an "el-cheapo heap of crap" (BTW, Windows hasn't bothered to support it in ages!), there's my pretty sophisticated Linux ALSA driver for this card which could be extended pretty easily to have support for the I2S port, too (simply copy&paste the existing DAC port code for the I2S port, that should work in a snap).

I intend to add code support for the I2S connector once there's better code modularization (the registers are simply 16 ports for DAC, 16 for ADC, and another 16 for I2S, which could be supported by one and the same functions each if properly abstracted, which sadly isn't the case yet).

Oh, and the Aztech ASC338 (Aureal Vortex AU8820 chip!!!) as well, it seems (unmounted connector "SPDIF_I2S", see e.g. the detailed photos at http://www.ssstjy.com/soundcard/aztech/AztechASC338A.htm )

However I have no idea how hard I2S support would be on that card's driver side OTOH...

Probably adding I2S was customary at Aztech, which were reputed for building high-quality cards at the time...

Heh, turns out LOTS of PCI cards sport an I2S output:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multimedia/32snd_1.html

lists half a dozen or so (but, again, not sure about the driver side of things).

There is a new converter out that fits the bill nicely: USB Converter

USB input to Spdif, Toslink, and I2S output for $45 + shipping. I haven't used one personally so I don't know how good it is but it will give you the I2S output you are looking for and at that price it could save you a lot of time, money, and pulling your hair out for a DIY I2S solution. PC >> USB >> Converter > via I2S > DAC. The Off-Ramp 3 from Empirical Audio would seriously raise the bar of your gear sound quality wise but @ $699 you decide especially if this won't be your main system.

david is hear[br]http://www.tuniverse.tv

If you want to do i2s using a Juli@ card ... then there is a thread on HeadFi.org http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/easy-i2s-juli-pci-sound-card-242285/ No recommendations, just I found it and thought would post if for anyone interested.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 year later...

"PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport has an I2S output (over HDMI, but I assume an adaptor would be possible, if that were the only problem)."

That's not the only problem. I've been interfacing to Perpetual gear for more than a decade. The interface on PW is differential and the Perpetual is single-ended. Not compatible.

And the Off-Ramp 3 is not $699.00. It is on closeout for $499.00.

What you must understand is that I2S is not as simple as digital coax. Digital coax typically has 2.8Mhz-6MHz signals on it and the terminations and impedance is standardized. I2S is not standardized. I2S has up to 49MHz signals. These MUST be terminated properly or it will not work or will have high jitter. An adapter cable can be ordered from Revelation Audio Labs that is silver and works great, but the termination must be tuned to it for best results.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

The only device that I am aware of as a commercially made source is the Togo Technologies Cinema scape card which has what the call TG-Link which is just I2S. The cards are out of Production but still available it seems from Wai Wai Valve Company in Kong Kong. I use one myself into a Zhaolu DAC which has the matching Tg-Link/I2S input. Connection is via 18 inch CAT5 style cable. You might need to get a custom cable made.

I prefer the I2S sound over anything else but the flaw is the card software will not switch sample rates automatically and so mostly I now use a Xilinx Spartan based USB DAC to get the signal to the DAC. But I still get a surpise when I switch back to the I2S connection. The card is based on the venerable VIA audio processors and does 192/24 and also has BNC SPDIF out as well as analogue via a strange DVI connector

http://diykits.com.hk/new_zhaolu_d3_dac_with_tg.htm

If you have a lot of redbook audio the I2S is definitely worthwhile.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

HiFace EVO also outputs I2S.

Since this is not a standard, it is for DIY only.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

• 3 months later...

I have been conducting lots of research on i2s lately! The information was all over the place so I decided to start a master i2s database. Still some blanks to fill in and verification to take place, but it's ready to share. I'll have some updates this week and will also start on including i2s sources. If any ones has corrections, missing information, new information or data on i2s sources please forward them to me at [email protected]. Also, include links to the source of the data...

Please use at your own risk!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFhNT0xWQnNVWTI1QjhTdXVGVThiYnc&output=html

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

PS Steve, thanks for your help on the i2s database!