New York Times - all I can say is wow!

I absolutely agree but how may times have you heard "my 6yo daughter could do that".

A friend once visited an art shop, looking for a Jackson Pollock poster. Having failed to find one, he asked the shop owner.

Instead of replying, the owner led him through to the back of the shop, where a child was having a great time painting and creating a huge mess on the protective paper spread out on the floor.

Pointing at the paper on the floor, the owner said: "You can have one of these if you want. No charge. Now I know some critics might say the boy lacks Pollock's grasp of abstract expressionism, but what do you expect? He is only six after all!"

Does anyone remember what this thread was about? Right-it was a NYT article that so many found fault with.

I am in minority here. I think it was pretty much spot on. I think it painted a pretty good picture of where we are today, music reproduction-wise. Many of you seemed to zero in on the expense of high-end gear. Even though that was mentioned in the article, to me, it didnt come across as one of the central themes. Are we viewing the world again thru our systems?

No-the thrust of this article, to me was the changing culture of listening to music. And to us, it should be GOOD news, not questionable. Younger people are slowly coming around to desiring to hear their collections with a little more sound quality. I'm pretty sure that's what the article was about (not how WE are in the minority, how much WE spend, how good OUR systems sound. After all, it wasnt really about US, was it?

(all due respect)

Scott

MacBook Pro, 16gb RAM, 500gb storage, McIntosh MA-6900, Paradigm Reference Signature 6 Towers, Cambridge Audio Magic Streamer 6, Mountain Lion, iTunes 11.0.X.

Pointing at the paper on the floor, the owner said: "You can have one of these if you want. No charge. Now I know some critics might say the boy lacks Pollock's grasp of abstract expressionism, but what do you expect? He is only six after all!"

Plagiarism is not art.

Still feel I'm missing your point by a long way. Sorry :(

I was only reminded of the story since the present discussion has rambled (off topic, as boulderskies rightly says) into the cliche of "My child could paint a Rothko, so the original art is without merit". Not a sentiment I agree with, just to be clear. So I thought that telling the Jackson Pollock story would be amusing, nothing more. Fair enough?

I really have no idea if the shop owner in the story was a modern art hater or was making a joke. I wasn't there and in any case Scottish humour can be very deadpan.

Still feel I'm missing your point by a long way. Sorry :(

I was only reminded of the story since the present discussion has rambled (off topic, as boulderskies rightly says) into the cliche of "My child could paint a Rothko, so the original art is without merit". Not a sentiment I agree with, just to be clear. So I thought that telling the Jackson Pollock story would be amusing, nothing more. Fair enough?

I really have no idea if the shop owner in the story was a modern art hater or was making a joke. I wasn't there and in any case Scottish humour can be very deadpan.

Oh kilted one you misunderstand Australian sarcasm. I was having a go at a poster that said graffiti was not art because they could do it themselves.

Keeping the thread off topic: I think it takes more skill to produce a "good" (whatever that means) abstract than it does a fine realist piece. I suppose because with the realism piece the rules are easily defined rather than the abstract where you can never define if its complete.

While it looks like a splash of paint; I would contend that a Pollock would be very different with a stroke more or less and would loose a certain aesthetic quality as a result.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Keeping the thread off topic: I think it takes more skill to produce a "good" (whatever that means) abstract than it does a fine realist piece. I suppose because with the realism piece the rules are easily defined rather than the abstract where you can never define if its complete.

While it looks like a splash of paint; I would contend that a Pollock would be very different with a stroke more or less and would loose a certain aesthetic quality as a result.

But its the idea to do it in the first place.

Heh! Finally the penny drops! :) Aussie sarcasm ftw.

Agreed, while technical ability has it's place, it's not the sole measure of artistic merit. Or to be less pompous about it, copying ain't the same as creation.

For some reason I have a lot less resistance to spending money on bicycles than audio equipment.

Although for me, when I realized how much I've spent over the years on my, and my wife's, multi-dozen bicycles -- and a basement filled with bike tools and parts -- that made it easier to spend more money than ever before on audio equipment.

Okay, for me that means $2200 for a DAC and PSU doesn't seem like much, when several of our bikes each cost more than that amount.

Dave, who realizes how lucky he is to be able to buy these pleasure tools

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're that confident, are you? I challenge! Can you tell which is the original Pollock... and more to the point, which is better? :D

(take as much time as you like, it's not easy!)

jm-aa_08_08_zpsd777e4ba.jpg

jm-aa_08_08_improvedbysoup_zpsd800aed5.jpg

You're that confident, are you? I challenge! Can you tell which is the original Pollock... and more to the point, which is better? :D

(take as much time as you like, it's not easy!)

jm-aa_08_08_zpsd777e4ba.jpg

jm-aa_08_08_improvedbysoup_zpsd800aed5.jpg

The second one ... not only did you rip off Jackson Pollock but also Andy Warhol

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Have to say I'm baffled by this one. You mean a song needs to have had a cover version before it can be considered to have any merit?

I am reminded of Justice Stewart

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that. [Emphasis added.]

—Justice Potter Stewart, concurring opinion in Jacobellis v. Ohio 378 U.S. 184 (1964), regarding possible obscenity in The Lovers.

In this case the 'that' is Music and the noise being discussed is RAP

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

I absolutely agree but how may times have you heard "my 6yo daughter could do that".

If she had the chi-chi art world behind her, she probably could...

That Emperor is a tad nude....

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

The second one ... not only did you rip off Jackson Pollock but also Andy Warhol

Wow, that was quick! Just for future reference, instead of "rip off" I'd much prefer you say a "homage to Pollock and Warhol" (pronounced with a sexy French accent to make it sound more artistic) :)

Tell me, did you have to study the work really closely to spot the difference or did you just *snort* "know it when you saw it"?

Wow, that was quick! Just for future reference, instead of "rip off" I'd much prefer you say a "homage to Pollock and Warhol" (pronounced with a sexy French accent to make it sound more artistic) :)

Tell me, did you have to study the work really closely to spot the difference or did you just *snort* "know it when you saw it"?

I did have to examine it line if pixels at a time to start... But then I thought... I know it ... That person playing homage just doesn't know when to stop...

Eloise

---

Although for me, when I realized how much I've spent over the years on my, and my wife's, multi-dozen bicycles -- and a basement filled with bike tools and parts -- that made it easier to spend more money than ever before on audio equipment.

Okay, for me that means $2200 for a DAC and PSU doesn't seem like much, when several of our bikes each cost more than that amount.

Dave, who realizes how lucky he is to be able to buy these pleasure tools

Then there is the golden retriever hobby. Even without factoring the $62K the insurance company spent to reassemble my ankle after they tripped me up, it has been a minor fortune.

Then there is the golden retriever hobby. Even without factoring the $62K the insurance company spent to reassemble my ankle after they tripped me up, it has been a minor fortune.

Almost as expensive as the Labrador hobby :-)

But well worth it!

Eloise

---

I havent ever seen any Pollocks in the flesh (with a 'P' you dirty minded...) - I think I would need to do that before deciding if I personally get it or not.

Anyway: Here's a rather nice short video about Pollock and fractals (also note the correct pronunciation of homage at the start!)

Even without factoring the $62K the insurance company spent to reassemble my ankle after they tripped me up, it has been a minor fortune.

62K!!! I could have fixed you up with a Long John Silver style wooden table leg (parrot included) for less than half that.

Yah, but bikes nor DACs wake you up with a cold nose and a lick.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.