IGNORED

Legal Fight over T Rex Songs Portends Music Industry Battles

Greetings all,

An article on the billboard.com/biz website concerning an impending legal battle over copyright ownership by heirs and estates:

Legal Fight over T Rex Songs Portends Music Industry Battles | Billboard

I have no connection to or association with any of the persons, companies, products or views expressed in the article referenced above.

Regards,

Mister Wednesday

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of funny, given its origin as a Chuck Berry rip-off. I remember when this came out. I think I was 7 or 8. I couldn't have cared less for the music, but was encouraged it was produced by a group that sounded like they appreciated dinosaurs. I remember being very creeped out by the lyrics then; even more so now. Seems like a lot of Brit glam rock stars wound up doing time for being child molesters.

You're probably thinking of the odious Gary Glitter and the even more odious Jimmy Saville (amongst others). The unwritten rules of being a normal, humane person dictated that "just because these guys were creepy as **** didn't mean they were paedophiles", but guess what, they were. UK kids TV in the 70s and 80s was a minefield. Bill and Ben (the flowerpot men) with their pipes at the ready and their undisguised longing for "Weeeeed.... Weeeeed" were positively healthy by comparison.

Here's a quote from the linked story:

Last week, Rolan Feld, the son of T Rex frontman Marc Bolan filed a lawsuit in California federal court that seeks a declaration that he is now the sole owner of many of Bolan's famous songs like "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" and "Ride a White Swan."

Feld was a few days short of his second birthday when his father died of a tragic car accident in 1977 and was raised with the financial support of his godfather David Bowie. He's now seeking at least $2 million in damages over a music publisher's continued exploitation of songs.

Depending on what you read, Rolan Bolan (or Rolan Feld as he prefers, cannae imagine why) has had a tough life. But seriously, dude, you're fighting tooth and nail to claim ownership of a song called "Bang a Gong (Get it On)". I don't care how much your bloodsucking vampire for hire lawyer says it's worth: Have some dignity!