IGNORED

My first CAPS (V3 / ZUMA Variation)

Hi all,

I intend to build my first CAPS music server. Other then good audio i also want to use it as my XMBC player to feed my HDTV with movies.

Components:

Case: Streacom FC5 WS EVO / or / Streacom FC9

Processor: Intel Core i3 3220T (MB: 1155) / or / Intel Core i5 4570T (MB: 1150) / or / Intel Core i7 3770T (MB: 1155) / Other new generation Intel processors?

Motherbord: Intel DH77EB (1155) or Intel DH87RL (will this newer MB be usable with the passive cooler of the Streacom FC5?)

Memory: Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600

Power: Mini-box PicoPSU-150XT + 102W Adapter (any other options?).

SSD: 128 GB Samsung Pro 840 / or / mSata (zuma does use samsung but with mSata you need less cables, so it is better, for example the: Intel mSATA 525?)

Add-in Card: PPA USB 3.0 Card

USB: PPA USB cable --> Wadia 121 DAC.

Please shoot :-).

When looking over i think my ideal combo is this:

Streacom FC5 WS EVO

Intel Core i5 4570T

Intel DH87RL

Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600

PicoPSU-150XT + 102W Adapter

Intel mSATA 525 120GB

PPA USB Card

PPA USB cable

I lean towards a 4th gen PC, no real reason other then it is "newer". So can be convinced to use the 3th gen processors My main concern is the motherboard. Is this an, audiophile, motherboard and will it fit?

Any (other) thoughts and will this all fit together?

Your first build is pretty much a Zuma with a PPA card so you know it will work well and fit in the case. Your 2nd build is your own design so you will need to check with Streacom that the board is OK - not all are.

Alternatives to the psu are linear/battery supplies but you might be better with the wide ranging picoPSU model to give you more choice.

I've just built a variation with an Intel 525 m-sata for WS2012 with a dh77df board in an A-Tech fabrication case, looks neat with no cables and a small board with plenty of room for SSD storage.

You could look into whether a dedicated server board such as the s1200kpr (dbs1200kpr) will fit in the case and then use a Xeon 1265l v2.

Your first build is pretty much a Zuma with a PPA card so you know it will work well and fit in the case. Your 2nd build is your own design so you will need to check with Streacom that the board is OK - not all are.

Alternatives to the psu are linear/battery supplies but you might be better with the wide ranging picoPSU model to give you more choice.

I've just built a variation with an Intel 525 m-sata for WS2012 with a dh77df board in an A-Tech fabrication case, looks neat with no cables and a small board with plenty of room for SSD storage.

You could look into whether a dedicated server board such as the s1200kpr (dbs1200kpr) will fit in the case and then use a Xeon 1265l v2.

I contacted Streacom. I searched quite sometime but at this moment the Intel Desktop Board DH87RL is the only Micro-ATX that supports LGA 1150 and mSata. For me mSata is (apart from less cables) around $60 cheaper (then the samsung 128GB SSD)

What do you mean by "wide ranging picoPSU model to give you more choice". Do you mean the model i suggested in the above post?

No, the one Chris used needs 12v, some of the more affordable linear psu will output 13.8v but can be dialled down internally to 13v which is still too high. This one gives you more choices:

PicoPSU-120-WI-25 12-25V DC-DC ATX power supply

I understand. I buy a linear psu (do you have any tips?, budget is really low around $80) and then adjust the voltage on the PicoPSU. Thanks, this is a really good tip. Never realized this.

I would look for the lowest thermal factor CPU in the power range of CPU you need. You can Google the CPU and they will list the thermal factor in watts for the CPU. Try to stay around 40 watts or less if possible. Generating lots of heat is not your friend in an audio PC.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps