IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Can you play files from a uPnP server? Thanks.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Can you play files from a uPnP server? Thanks.

Squeezebox Server has some kind of uPnP support but I haven't used it by myself.

You have to enable the client: Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Advanced -> Network -> UPnP Client.

I noticed that Daphile Web UI has a bug related to browsing the uPnP server. I'll fix it for the next release. You can use the standard LMS web UI for that from port 9000 i.e. http://daphile:9000.

Hi,

Quick question, how about the ram memory, I have one slot with 1gb, and so far it's seems enough but anyway more memory can be helpful to improve the sound ?

Regards,

Alexandre.

I don't think that the amount of RAM would have any direct impact on sound quality.

If you have more RAM there will be more space for buffer cache and that'll reduce the hard disk reads on the long run.

Daphile does not use swap space and it prefers to use TMPFS for all temporary files (eg. during ripping). I would still guess that 1-2GB would be enough for most of the case.

If you don't have enough RAM Daphile might hang but I don't know what is the practical limit.

Inspired by seeing the various (and mostly overpriced) Linux-based server/streamer boxes at CES, I decided to give Daphile a spin this weekend. I re-purposed a 4 year old and otherwise useless netbook (1.6ghz Atom, 1g RAM) to boot and run Daphile from a USB stick. When it works it seamlessly plays all my stereo files, including 24/192 PCM and single DSD, through my Benchmark DAC2 HGC. I'm controlling it with Ipeng on my Ipod Touch.

I have a periodic issue with it locking up about 20 to 30 minutes into playing music. The only way to get in going again is restart with default settings. Last night it ran for a few hours without issue.

I'm unsure how to install all the files to the netbook's internal drive rather than booting and running from a USB stick. Is there a Linux tool to reformat the netbook drive and transfer all the right files from the USB drive? Thanks.

Russ

Inspired by seeing the various (and mostly overpriced) Linux-based server/streamer boxes at CES, I decided to give Daphile a spin this weekend. I re-purposed a 4 year old and otherwise useless netbook (1.6ghz Atom, 1g RAM) to boot and run Daphile from a USB stick. When it works it seamlessly plays all my stereo files, including 24/192 PCM and single DSD, through my Benchmark DAC2 HGC. I'm controlling it with Ipeng on my Ipod Touch.

I have a periodic issue with it locking up about 20 to 30 minutes into playing music. The only way to get in going again is restart with default settings. Last night it ran for a few hours without issue.

I'm unsure how to install all the files to the netbook's internal drive rather than booting and running from a USB stick. Is there a Linux tool to reformat the netbook drive and transfer all the right files from the USB drive? Thanks.

Russ

Might be the network driver that locks up. Some vendor have cards that are not supported 100% out of the box. you need to compile the driver yourself. A problematic card that is quite popular is the Realtek 8111/8168 network card.

Yay!

Russ

Daphile will install on quote "empty disk without existing partitions" .....

You will have to find another Linux distro you can put on a USB stick first. Then use "fdisk" at the command line to delete all partitions on your netbook's internal drive before you can install daphile.

How to delete a partition using fdisk.

Chris

Russ,

When you're ready just install Daphile on your hard drive using the options under "settings>system firmware".

One possible gotcha is that I don't know if Daphile expects the hard drive to have a traditional DOS/MBR on a system with trad BIOS(or UEFI working in compatibility/legacy mode), or if it can handle (U)EFI and drive with GPT. I've only made brief use of Daphile in a virtual machine.

Chris

I appreciate the help but that went way over my head.

I'll make a bootable Linux stick (I got that figured out at least), reboot my netbook with it and reformat the internal drive. How should I format the netbook drive so the Daphile's "settings>system firmware" will recognize it and load a bootable permanent version of Daphile on it? Thanks.

Russ

Hi Russ,

just delete the partition(s) of your internal drive. Do not reformat. Daphile wants a blank hard disk.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

I tried three or four different ways to prep the netbook internal drive with no luck. Under Daphile's "settings>system firmware" the internal drive shows up but it's grey'd out and doesn't allow me to save the Daphile OS and files to the drive. It's running fine off the USB stick so I'll leave it as-is for now.

Russ

Hi,

Is there any SSH server up for Daphile?

My PC has two LAN port (RTL8111E), I would like to setup another network on the second LAN port. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Player for PCM44.1: Squeezebox receiver (modified)

Player for Hi-Res/DSD: VpyageMPD + i7 4765T, Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE, G.Skill 4G-DDR3-CL7, AdnacoS3B

DAC: Lampizator Lv7

Tube Amp: YS-Audio Pre+Power

My DIY: http://obeediy.blogspot.com

Russ,

you could try to delete the partition(s) with help of gparted GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions

On my first try with an Asus EEE PC I had to delete a hidden partition (for Windows Recovery or something) before I could install Daphile. A Live Linux distribution helped me. I think I was using Knoppix. Gparted is part of many Live Linux distributions.

Once again: the hard disk must be empty, without partitions, non-formatted.

I wonder if kipeta is ok or just on vacation.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

Hi,

Is there any SSH server up for Daphile?

My PC has two LAN port (RTL8111E), I would like to setup another network on the second LAN port. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean is sshd runnnig on Daphle, and can you connect to it via ssh? The answer is no. Daphile is locked down, there's no way to get to a terminal and use the command line in Daphile.

Chris

Do you mean is sshd runnnig on Daphle, and can you connect to it via ssh? The answer is no. Daphile is locked down, there's no way to get to a terminal and use the command line in Daphile.

Thanks!

Player for Hi-Res/DSD: VpyageMPD + i7 4765T, Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE, G.Skill 4G-DDR3-CL7, AdnacoS3B

Hi all,

I tried connecting another PC to my Atom and hope to get an IP address lease. The PC can get IP address 192.168.128.X, which means daphile has dhcp server running by itself. And I can ping the daphile at 192.168.128.1.

cleaning a pc hard disk that it does not have any partition (delete all partitions bring a fresh disk for Daphile fresh installation):

1. boot the pc from CD, that has bootable disktools with which you can delete the existing partitions that you can see "unallocated" disk space after deletion

- bootable CD disk tools:

*** burn the iso to CD and start pc from that new CD

*** burn the disk with imageburn ImgBurn - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

2. boot the pc from USB, that has bootable disktools with which you can delete the existing partitions that you can see "unallocated" disk space after deletion

- bootable USB disk tools:

*** make bootable usb stick from the iso file and start pc from USB stick

Tool to delete partitions (or find equivalent)

parted magic downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

the tool for creating bootable usb from above parted magic iso file:

pick either windows version (you create the bootable stick in WIN machine) or linux version

YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux

I run daphile from internal 500GB SSD disk and scanning several hundred gigs rip archive is fast. All music is in internal SSD disk and back-up then elsewhere.

Only SACD iso support is missing :-(

Operating the Daphile network player - the easy way:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/logitech-squeezbox-duet-lcd-18799/#post287752

.... please google more for disk tools in case need for more help

Only SACD iso support is missing :-(

Hmmm... extracting the DSD files is an easy thing. Important is you have the ISOs :)

I know, I have, but the convenience factor ....

The sacd iso support might be do-able, but the mch support is too tricky to achieve to the "squizeeded" platform.

I like the usability of Dapgile quite a lot. It is all about the original meaning: listen to the music and have the catalog available.

I’ve spent the last week playing around with Daphile. It gives me the simplicity and functionality of my old Squeezebox setup and plays all my single DSD files. So far, I like it. I’m going to run it for a while to find out if its usability and functionality are good enough to replace my current Win7/Jriver setup.

I’ve used a Squeezebox for many years. I moved to a Jriver/Win7 setup on a HP laptop in November 2012 to accommodate DSD playback through my just acquired Benchmark DAC2 HGC. I didn’t want to leave my Squeezebox Touch, but had to for DSD.

A few months ago I heard about converting DSD files to DoP FLAC files that could be played through the Squeezebox Touch and decoded as native DSD through the Benchmark DAC. I even started a thread* on Audio Circle documenting how to do it. I really wanted to use this conversion process to get back to a Squeezebox system. But the task of batch converting and reorganizing well over 10,000 individual DSD files was too overwhelming for me to attempt.

Daphile was mentioned in the Audio Circle DoP thread, but I didn’t give it much attention at the time. Last week I attended CES and observed a parade of expensive music streamers/servers that were all, at their core, small Linux computers in fancy aluminum boxes. Once I realized that Daphile provides the same basic functionality as these streamers/servers, can play all my files (including single DSD) with squeezebox simplicity, and can run on virtually any PC, it got my attention. So I gave it a shot.

I have basic PC/Windows skills but know nothing about Linux. I was able to get Daphile booted, configured and functioning using a 4GB USB stick. I tried it on three different laptop computers: a five year old Acer netbook, a four year old Toshiba, and my current H.P. music server. Here’s the kicker. Each laptop sounds different. The netbook is the most compact and efficient, but has some hardware limitations that I don’t want to mess with. The newer HP works fine, but seems to add some noise that gives the music a slight edginess. I hear the same sonic signature with Win7/Jriver on the same laptop so I’m guessing it is hardware induced. The Toshiba exhibits the best balance between performance and sound quality. When using the laptop battery, the Toshiba running Daphile gives me the best sounding digital playback I’ve heard through my Benchmark DAC2 HGC. That’s encouraging. I’ll add more observations as they come up.

Russ

*How to use the Squeezebox Touch to play DSD files on a DoP compatible DAC