IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

CHANGES on November 9th 2013:

• Bug fixes for CD ripping, multitrack FLAC+CUE problem & NFS mounting
  • Multitrack FLAC+CUE problem fix requires "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan (Info tab)
  • CD ripping FLAC compression level setting added (default:5)

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Hi Kipeta,

Great Version, no more plics & plocs between tracks, seens even better sound. Quick question for you, Is OS Daphile load into memory after startup ? I´m not seem HD led working, maybe it´s broken..but anyway, are you using ram memory to playback audio files ?

Best Regards,

Alexandre Molan.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kipeta,

Great Version, no more plics & plocs between tracks, seens even better sound. Quick question for you, Is OS Daphile load into memory after startup ? I´m not seem HD led working, maybe it´s broken..but anyway, are you using ram memory to playback audio files ?

Best Regards,

Alexandre Molan.

Sorry. I have somehow missed your message and it was left unanswered. There are no special RAM buffering/caching tricks by Daphile - it's all handled by Linux kernel.

Hello Kipeta,

which Linux Kernel you are actually using in the latest version of Daphile?

By the way... is it possible to install (via e.g. Universal USB Installer ) the

Daphile system on a bootable USB-stick to make some easy trials?

The latest public release is based on kernel version 3.8.13.9-rt20. However I am currently testing the upgrade to 3.12 series and probably making a public release within the next few days.

You can test everything (except version upgrade) by using bootable USB flash. I would recommend unetbootin to prepare the USB flash (no experience about Universal USB Installer). Even the "Space used to preserve files across reboots (Ubuntu only)" setting of unetbootin works for Daphile USB install.

Hi Kipeta,

I just install this new version but I can't boot, it´s backing with the older version, any idea ?

Regards,

Alexandre.

Hi,

Have you tried to force the reboot with the latest version?

Settings -> System Firmware -> Restart with the latest installed software

If that does not help try to reinstall the latest version. You can do this as follows:

- go to http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel of your Daphile PC

- copy the following link text (either for i486 or x86_64 version) to input field besides the "Install" button

- press "Install"

- reboot

If that does not help either please contact me through the contact form on www.daphile.com and let's continue with email exchange.

Hey guys, just installed Daphile this evening and loving it so far! However, I am having a small issue with USB storage. I currently have Daphile installed to a 2GB flash drive. I also have a 320GB WD Passport formatted with a single 320GB ext4 partition which I wanted to use for music storage. However, when I open up the Daphile network share, I only see the default Music share that is created on the install disk. Screenshots below, do I have something configured incorrectly? I have tried renaming the Root Prifix and Identification on the Passport drive, doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Daphile Version: 13.11-b280417-i486

daphile-storage.png

daphile-network-shares.png

I have a macbook pro (mid 2009) and am looking to get as simple of a system going as possible. All of my music is stored on a DIY Unraid NAS and I can go with either ethernet or wifi, dhcp or static, etc etc.

My requirements are:

Bitperfect playback of FLAC files.

Remote control via iPad mini.

Eventually I'll get an USB DAC, but currently just use the optical out which caps off at 24/96. I've messed around with Jriver for Mac and although it's good software, it seems to be waaaaaaaaay more feature rich than I need. I've got Daphile up and running in a VM with basic specs and am wondering if I even need to worry about trying something different.

Does anyone have current real world experience running Daphile (or some other linux based music server) in VMware on the mac? Any gotchas?

Hey guys, just installed Daphile this evening and loving it so far! However, I am having a small issue with USB storage. I currently have Daphile installed to a 2GB flash drive. I also have a 320GB WD Passport formatted with a single 320GB ext4 partition which I wanted to use for music storage. However, when I open up the Daphile network share, I only see the default Music share that is created on the install disk. Screenshots below, do I have something configured incorrectly? I have tried renaming the Root Prifix and Identification on the Passport drive, doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Daphile Version: 13.11-b280417-i486

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9247[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9248[/ATTACH]

Hi,

The "Root Prefix" configuration option is a bit misleading. Perhaps better name for it would be "Source Directory" i.e. if you want to use the whole disk partition you should leave it empty or "/". If you want to limit the use to only one subdirectory then you should configure that directory to "Root prefix". It's not related to target directory where it would be used by Daphile. Target directory is defined by "Identification" parameter that is also used as a share name.

I think you should clear the "Root prefix" and try it again.

Does anyone have current real world experience running Daphile (or some other linux based music server) in VMware on the mac? Any gotchas?

I have experienced occasional audio hiccups if running in virtual machine and there are simultaneous network/disk activity (interrupt response time isn't probably fast enough with VMs). But I haven't done this lately so the experience is not so fresh.

Hi KahLeong (and all others) How did you get the Mytek to work with Daphile?

When I connect mine via USB2 Daphile shows no reaction

Some others have reported similar problems after the last update. It seems that Mytek support has broken probably by the kernel upgrade/config changes although the Mytek driver and firmware files are still included.

I'll try to look on this.

• 2 weeks later...

CHANGES on December 22nd 2013:

• IPv4LL used as backup for direct PC to PC connections
  • Volume control bug of the routerless setup fixed
  • WMA playback fixed for WMA radio streams
  • Boot graphics mode changed to 800x600x16bit to improve compatibility

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Hello,

I tried to install Daphile today on a old Dell D620 laptop and the system hung at/after network connectivity. Am I potentially missing some setup? Right now I have to say that my laptop is old and that is the reason for the hang. Will try it on a different system. Does the default install use the complete hard drive or can it be installed as a dual boot system? Do not want to blow away my primary.

Thx

Hello,

I tried to install Daphile today on a old Dell D620 laptop and the system hung at/after network connectivity. Am I potentially missing some setup? Right now I have to say that my laptop is old and that is the reason for the hang. Will try it on a different system. Does the default install use the complete hard drive or can it be installed as a dual boot system? Do not want to blow away my primary.

Thx

Please send me more detailed description for the "system hung" problem and I'll try to help. I would recommend to use the contact form on www.daphile.com and we could continue with email exchange.

Daphile installation (Settings -> System Firmware) requires either completely empty disk (no existing partitions) or manually preconfigured disk containing DaphileBoot and DaphileData labeled ext4 partitions. The later enables the multiboot configurations but that requires expertise from user to finalize bootloader configurations. Daphile refuses to install itself to anything else and there is no way to "blow away" existing system.

Daphile installation (Settings -> System Firmware) requires either completely empty disk (no existing partitions) or manually preconfigured disk containing DaphileBoot and DaphileData labeled ext4 partitions. The later enables the multiboot configurations but that requires expertise from user to finalize bootloader configurations. Daphile refuses to install itself to anything else and there is no way to "blow away" existing system.

That might be the issue that I had. I was trying to install Daphile on a system that had existing Linux but was trying to use the complete drive. I will have to try it on a different system that has no disk partition the next time that I try.

Congrats on the Player.

Would really love to have a look behind the curtains and see whats going on....unfortunately ssh is turned off....kind of closes the door on open source software imo.

Needless to say Daphile in NOT an Open Source Project. Although it uses open source software.

The Open Source Initiative | Open Source Initiative

Thanks for your feedback. I sent you a private message with a link to a private test release that enables you "to have a look behind the curtains" ;-).

I have not enabled the ssh daemon (nor root password) on public release because then there should be configurations for password protection, etc...

On the other hand because Daphile is based on "full firmware package upgrade" philosophy (not based on individual packages as many standard Linux distros) its file system is such that it does not retain any manually made changes between version upgrades. That's why I don't want to support users for manual modifications, etc...

It's a trade-off between flexibility and ease of support and I have chosen the later. It's not according to "normal Linux way" (everything is configurable) but I think Daphile's main target audience are the audiophile's who are not willing or capable to setup the system by themselves.