IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Hi Kipeta,

Here is the feedback from this link:

Card #0: DummyCard #1: exD USB-DSD Audio Serial: DSD_DoP Driver: snd-usb-audio USB BUS: 001/002 Device ID: abcd:0008 USB driver: ehci-pci IRQ: 23 Device #0: USB Audio Max sample rate: 384000 Format: S32_LE

Regards,

Alexandre.

Thanks. I found at least one bug. I'll try to fix it during the weekend.

I would be interested to know whether you can play 352.8/384kHz files with Daphile without resampling. Although I have patched the Squeezeplay to support them, I haven't been able to test them because my own DAC supports only up to 192kHz. Are you able test this? (Now I'm guessing that they won't play).

If I'm right about the root cause of the DSD problem, you might be able play DSD128 (if you in the first place are able play 352.8kHz/384kHz files). Or if it's possible limit your DAC's max sample rate to 192kHz, you might be able play DSD64 files.

I'd really appreciate if you could help me by doing the test above.

Kipeta,

Unfortunately the Exd DAC can't play higher than 192 only the Usb Interface, so I can't help you on it, sorry.

Thanks again for your support.

Alexandre.

Thanks. I found at least one bug. I'll try to fix it during the weekend.

I would be interested to know whether you can play 352.8/384kHz files with Daphile without resampling. Although I have patched the Squeezeplay to support them, I haven't been able to test them because my own DAC supports only up to 192kHz. Are you able test this? (Now I'm guessing that they won't play).

If I'm right about the root cause of the DSD problem, you might be able play DSD128 (if you in the first place are able play 352.8kHz/384kHz files). Or if it's possible limit your DAC's max sample rate to 192kHz, you might be able play DSD64 files.

I'd really appreciate if you could help me by doing the test above.

Kipeta,

Unfortunately the Exd DAC can't play higher than 192 only the Usb Interface, so I can't help you on it, sorry.

Thanks again for your support.

Alexandre.

Ok. It's a bit strange that ALSA reports the max rate to be 384000 as you probably noticed from the output of

http://daphile.local/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi

Card #1: exD USB-DSD Audio

Serial: DSD_DoP

Driver: snd-usb-audio

USB BUS: 001/002

Device ID: abcd:0008

USB driver: ehci-pci

IRQ: 23

Device #0: USB Audio

Max sample rate: 384000

Format: S32_LE

Anyways I'll try fix the problem this weekend.

Hi Kipeta,

I'm pretty sure EXd USB can handle 38400 but the Exd DAC can't, so probably the Exd interface will get the signal but... here is the specs form exd blog

[h=3]updated price list[/h]

here is the updated price of the USB audio interface:

1. 24bit/192kHz $199

2. 32bit/384kHz $249

3. 32bit/384kHz, DSD64, DSD128 $399

And the price of the DSD/PCM dac module.

1. support up to 192kHz/24bit (PCM) and 6.144MHz (DSD128) $299

Ok. It's a bit strange that ALSA reports the max rate to be 384000 as you probably noticed from the output of

http://daphile.local/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi

Card #1: exD USB-DSD Audio

Serial: DSD_DoP

Driver: snd-usb-audio

USB BUS: 001/002

Device ID: abcd:0008

USB driver: ehci-pci

IRQ: 23

Device #0: USB Audio

Max sample rate: 384000

Format: S32_LE

Anyways I'll try fix the problem this weekend.

Kipeta,

Just to let you know, I downloaded a DXD file with 24Bit/352.8khz and the result was the same as DSD.

Regards,

Alexandre.

Hi,

Could try the version that can be downloaded from:

http://www.daphile.com/tmp.8AhipWlJop/

With this you can set the maximum sample rate for the player (different from what ALSA driver reports).

This version has some unfinished new features related Storage configurations. Please ignore them, they don't work yet.

Regards

Kimmo

Hi Kipeta,

It's working just fine, great job.

I was able to install creating a new ISO CD and then install again in the HD, easy.

Regards,

Alexandre.

Hi,

Could try the version that can be downloaded from:

Index of /tmp.8AhipWlJop

With this you can set the maximum sample rate for the player (different from what ALSA driver reports).

This version has some unfinished new features related Storage configurations. Please ignore them, they don't work yet.

Regards

Kimmo

Hi Kipeta,

It's working just fine, great job.

I was able to install creating a new ISO CD and then install again in the HD, easy.

Regards,

Alexandre.

Nice to hear. Thanks for testing.

I'll try to release new version as soon as I have completed those unfinished new features.

Hi Kipeta,

Great News, some few more feedback:

Sound is amazing, now I'm sure it's better than my MPD solution.

Some minor bugs:

Sometimes DSD is not playing, I don't know why, It was working before, but I did reinstall using the web interface and now sometimes works sometimes not.

When start playing DSD I can hear some plics, and also when finish the music, I suspect it can be my Exd dac/interface, did your notice that situation in your setup ?

Is there a way to transfer music files using the web interface, in fact I´m not using the NAS solution, my music data is a esata drive, so I need plug a usb cable to this drive to update my music collection, would be easier if somehow the web interface handled this situation.

My music collection is a mess, I don't have all cd's pictures and the result is the web interface picking the same image for all cd´s that don´t have image, I'm my case, is not a bad thing because it's picking the Melody Gardot CD picture.

Regards,

Alexandre.

Nice to hear. Thanks for testing.

I'll try to release new version as soon as I have completed those unfinished new features.

Sometimes DSD is not playing, I don't know why, It was working before, but I did reinstall using the web interface and now sometimes works sometimes not.

What happens when the DSD is not playing? Does the progress bar of the song change? Is the problem somehow repeatable?

When start playing DSD I can hear some plics, and also when finish the music, I suspect it can be my Exd dac/interface, did your notice that situation in your setup ?

Actually I don't currently have DSD capable DAC (waiting for my Ayre QB-9 upgrade). When I developed and tested the DSD feature with borrowed Benchmark DAC I also heard some "plics". I think they were related to the DAC mode/rate change between "normal" and DSD mode but didn't happen always. I am not able to do anything for this before I get the DSD upgrade (6-8 weeks was promised).

Is there a way to transfer music files using the web interface, in fact I´m not using the NAS solution, my music data is a esata drive, so I need plug a usb cable to this drive to update my music collection, would be easier if somehow the web interface handled this situation.

Sorry but I not quite sure if I understood your situation and proposal completely. Could you please try explain it more detailed.

Kind regards

Kimmo

Hi Kipeta,

Same situation that happens before, the progress bar is running but no sound, just wondering if the version that you provide before is the same when we update via web interface, is it ?

I was thinking if somehow in the web interface you can add a button to add music files to the music library, why I'm asking it, let me explain, I don't have network drive, so my music library is a esata drive connected in my pc server, so the only way to update my music library is connect this esata hd to my laptop by usb and then I can upload my music files, would be easier if we just plug a usb pen drive and the daphile automatically copy those files or some interface to do it manually, simple like that.

Regards,

Alexandre.

Same situation that happens before, the progress bar is running but no sound, just wondering if the version that you provide before is the same when we update via web interface, is it ?

Please try the latest release from today.

I was thinking if somehow in the web interface you can add a button to add music files to the music library, why I'm asking it, let me explain, I don't have network drive, so my music library is a esata drive connected in my pc server, so the only way to update my music library is connect this esata hd to my laptop by usb and then I can upload my music files, would be easier if we just plug a usb pen drive and the daphile automatically copy those files or some interface to do it manually, simple like that.

Could you share the esata disk from your PC server to Daphile? What server is it?

CHANGES on September 6th 2013:

• Storage configurations improved
  • Support for LVM and RAID volumes (not for DaphileBoot or DaphileData)
  • Samba file server configuration support for internal drives
  • CD ripping configuration options added for automatic start, disc eject, ripping target disk, CD drive offset and to disable ripping service
  • Support for Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC (thanks to KahLeong for testing)
  • DSD playback fix for HW with max rate above 192kHz
  • Sample rate limit configuration added
  • Kernel audio module parameter configurations added to web UI
  • Other minor changes and bug fixes

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Hi Kipeta,

Last version is working just fine, thanks again.

Regarding the esata, really sorry about my english, Pc server and Daphile is the same PC, but in the last version I can see the share flag, how do we use this ?

daphile_screen.jpg

Also I can see in the song properties that WAV songs is converted to FLAC, is it right ?

Regards,

Alexandre.

Please try the latest release from today.

Could you share the esata disk from your PC server to Daphile? What server is it?

Hi Alexandre,

Regarding the esata, really sorry about my english, Pc server and Daphile is the same PC, but in the last version I can see the share flag, how do we use this ?

Can you see your eSata drive in Storage configurations?

a) If yes then you should click Use checkbox and specify the music library directory on eSata drive into the "Root prefix" field (you can also leave it empty and the drive will be mapped from the root directory). If you also want to be able rip CDs on that drive (or write when used as network share) you must select the RW column checkbox (Note:the risk of losing data when RW enabled; remember backups). To the Identification field you may give any unique name (eg. eSataDrive). If you want to share that drive as a network drive then you should select the checkbox on Share column.

b) If the eSata drive is not visible on Storage confs then Daphile is probably missing a kernel driver for it. If this is the case could you send me the SATA controller type you have.

Also I can see in the song properties that WAV songs is converted to FLAC, is it right ?

It was the first time I saw such a info. And it really is so that by default WAVs are converted to FLACs (compression level 0) on fly. This is done in order to decrease the network load in case of remote players.

You can disable this conversion from:

Settings->Advanced Media Server Settings->Advanced tab->File Types (from select list)

Scroll down to WAV and change Disabled to both FLAC and MP3. Leave PCM to Native setting.

Hi Kipeta,

Yes I can see the esata, actually it is where my music data is stored, and after put share and RW flag on I'm able to connect by other windows machine, so problem solved, thanks for that, also I changed the config from flac conversion and seems working just fine. Thanks again.

Alexandre.

Hi Alexandre,

Can you see your eSata drive in Storage configurations?

a) If yes then you should click Use checkbox and specify the music library directory on eSata drive into the "Root prefix" field (you can also leave it empty and the drive will be mapped from the root directory). If you also want to be able rip CDs on that drive (or write when used as network share) you must select the RW column checkbox (Note:the risk of losing data when RW enabled; remember backups). To the Identification field you may give any unique name (eg. eSataDrive). If you want to share that drive as a network drive then you should select the checkbox on Share column.

b) If the eSata drive is not visible on Storage confs then Daphile is probably missing a kernel driver for it. If this is the case could you send me the SATA controller type you have.

It was the first time I saw such a info. And it really is so that by default WAVs are converted to FLACs (compression level 0) on fly. This is done in order to decrease the network load in case of remote players.

You can disable this conversion from:

Settings->Advanced Media Server Settings->Advanced tab->File Types (from select list)

Scroll down to WAV and change Disabled to both FLAC and MP3. Leave PCM to Native setting.

CHANGES on September 6th 2013:

• Storage configurations improved
  • Support for LVM and RAID volumes (not for DaphileBoot or DaphileData)
  • Samba file server configuration support for internal drives
  • CD ripping configuration options added for automatic start, disc eject, ripping target disk, CD drive offset and to disable ripping service
  • Support for Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD DAC (thanks to KahLeong for testing)
  • DSD playback fix for HW with max rate above 192kHz
  • Sample rate limit configuration added
  • Kernel audio module parameter configurations added to web UI

Works fine with, hegel h100 onboard dac, hd11 and rega dac and external usb hdd. Just a scroll problem on the home page while expanding radio stations on ipad.

• 4 weeks later...

CHANGES on October 4th 2013:

• CD ripping supports AccurateRip™ verification (see: AccurateRip)
  • CD drive offset calibration added to Settings – CD Ripping (required for AccurateRip™)
  • Improvements and bug fixes for Wireless configuration and initialization
  • Bug fixes for network drive mounting and RW-mode
  • Some package updates (eg. LMS-7.8.0-1380278780)

• 2 weeks later...

CHANGES on October 18th 2013:

• First 32bit x86 release for i486 and above
  • Composer (available only for classical music) and Label tags for ripping
  • Shutdown and restart button to main menu
  • TRIM support for ext4 SSD partitions
  • WLAN HW switch detection (RFKILL; "Connect Wi-Fi: HW switch disabled")
  • Bug fixes (eg. some DSF playback fixes) and minor changes