IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Hello Kipeta!

What kind of headless pc are you using or you may recommend?

Thanks.

If you want completely silent (and always on) Daphile PC currently I would recommend Intel Atom N2600 based boards (with 1GB RAM or maybe 2GB). It's really low power CPU (max TDP 3.5W). I have used by myself the Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B (with SSD drive) which is a fanless barebone and its Wifi module (Atheros ath9k) supports WLAN hotspot (hostapd) functionality.

New test release available at www.daphile.com!

CHANGES on August 17th 2013:

• Initial DSD file support:
    • DSF (.dsf) and DSDIFF (.dff) supported (both DSD64 and DSD128)
    • no native DSD-over-USB (DoP) yet. Coming soon - have to get DAC with DoP support.
    • no support for DST compressed files (didn't find any samples)
    • Known issue: "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan does not include DSD files. "Look for new and changed audio files" rescan works.

[*]Linux kernel upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8 series.

New test release available! CHANGES on August 21st 2013:

• Support for native DSD playback with DSD-over-PCM (verified only for DSD64 with Benchmark DAC2 HGC). Enable it from Audio Settings for the DAC that supports it.
  • DSD file "Clear library and rescan everything" problem fixed
  • Replay Gain calculation added to the CD ripping process
  • Some other minor bug fixes and changes

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed! Now especially any DSD-over-PCM experiences with different DACs and DSD128.

Hi kipeta,

Which version of Linux is this based on? And do you recommend also using the normal functionality of a linux workstation for rsync/cron backups, audio processing tasks (beets) etc?

Also, have you tried any of the Android Squeezebox clients? Do they work with daphile?

Not knowing too much about Squeezebox on Linux - which clients are available for a remote Linux desktop? I currently run Ubuntu 12.04 as a personal laptop.

Which version of Linux is this based on? And do you recommend also using the normal functionality of a linux workstation for rsync/cron backups, audio processing tasks (beets) etc?

Daphile is built in Gentoo Linux environment mostly from standard Gentoo ebuilds and current version is using realtime kernel version 3.8.13-rt15. Daphile does not (yet?) support backup and it should be handled by some other means (rsync/cron from other host could be recommended). For other audio processing tasks there are many excellent applications in both Window, OS X and Linux environment. Some functionality on that front might be integrated into Daphile later but I try to keep Daphile simple enough.

Also, have you tried any of the Android Squeezebox clients? Do they work with daphile?

I have tried Logitech's Squeezebox app and Squeeze Commander with my Nexus 7. Both worked fine but I haven't used them a lot because I prefer iPeng and SqueezePad on my iPad.

Not knowing too much about Squeezebox on Linux - which clients are available for a remote Linux desktop? I currently run Ubuntu 12.04 as a personal laptop.

This is difficult one. I think there aren't any ready to install packages at least for Ubuntu (correct me if I'm wrong). I would perhaps recommend Squeezelite but you perhaps have to compile it by yourself.

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot here...but I'm okay with that...

I was trying to attach my nfs share off my windows server to Daphile. For some reason I'm doing something wrong, how do I tell it to connect. I picked to add network drive, picked NFS and I get the nfs:// <box> and <another box> and then a <check box>.

So I have an nfs share from a Win2k8r2 server, wide open (checked with a linux box and with an NFS util in windows to verify I can get in without any credentials). Also set to root and read-write.

So my share is computer1:/cd to make it simple

Do I just put in the first box computer1:/cd and is the second box for an alias for Daphile to use (ie, CDs)? Or do I put in the first box computer1 and the second box is the share 'cd'

I tried it every way I could think to form it to go and wasn't sure. When Daphile reboots all the ways I put it in came up with the circle with the line through it.

Unfortunately it was too late last night for me to put music right on the drive and play it, so now I figured I'd wait and then hook it up when I get this figured out and just stream things.

The installation to the HD was flawless and the quick reboots are awesome (15 seconds upon hitting reboot). So I'm liking things so far!!!

Thanks for your help!

Do I just put in the first box computer1:/cd and is the second box for an alias for Daphile to use (ie, CDs)?

yes, computer1:/cd and is the second box for an alias for Daphile to use (ie, CDs). I have tested with a nfs share exported from a linux file server.

So I have an nfs share from a Win2k8r2 server, wide open (checked with a linux box and with an NFS util in windows to verify I can get in without any credentials). Also set to root and read-write.

So my share is computer1:/cd to make it simple

Do I just put in the first box computer1:/cd and is the second box for an alias for Daphile to use (ie, CDs)? Or do I put in the first box computer1 and the second box is the share 'cd'

As cmiu already wrote the first box is for computer1:/cd and second box for any alias like "CDs".

I'm not familiar with Windows Server NFS, sorry. What do you have in the "exports"-configurations (in Linux /etc/exports). Have you limited authorized address space? And is the address of Daphile among authorized ones?

Did you use any special mount option when you succeeded to mount it with other Linux computer?

And one stupid basic question: Did you possibly try this with virtual machine or real HW boot?

Hi Kipeta,

I was curious to test your product. I say product, because in its current form (no shell etc.) you can hardly call it “open source” even though it's using open-source software. No doubt you've looked into the license situation.

The interface looks interesting, but as the design seems to assume you're using DHCP somewhere on your network (router or elsewhere) it's a non-starter for those with static ip configurations who may wanted to have tested your work. Even virtualbox doesn't provide a solution. Can can set up two linux vms on the same vbox host-only adaptor with DHCP ( e.g. vboxnet0 etc.), one for “daphile” and one for another linux install which can have a second bridged adaptor and configured for ip forwarding, but while “daphile” boots and can be accessed from the second vm there's no way to set the gateway on the “daphile VM” and so you cannot access or load 3rd party LMS plugins etc.

Without a DHCP server somewhere “daphile” just hangs on boot as network manager cannot detect a network connection. I would think folk who have tried this without realising your configuration has boot messages on tty2 might have been a bit puzzled.

Perhaps it would be helpful to add these limitations (requirements ) to your website.

Chris

Hi Kipeta,

The interface looks interesting, but as the design seems to assume you're using DHCP somewhere on your network (router or elsewhere) it's a non-starter for those with static ip configurations who may wanted to have tested your work. Even virtualbox doesn't provide a solution. Can can set up two linux vms on the same vbox host-only adaptor with DHCP ( e.g. vboxnet0 etc.), one for “daphile” and one for another linux install which can have a second bridged adaptor and configured for ip forwarding, but while “daphile” boots and can be accessed from the second vm there's no way to set the gateway on the “daphile VM” and so you cannot access or load 3rd party LMS plugins etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree the DHCP is a requirement that limits usability for some and I should have mentioned it somewhere. I try to solve the problem by adding support for static IP configuration but still keep solution headless (no configurations through local console; maybe an optional configuration file on unetbootin created USB flash could work).

I think VMPlayer could work for you. I tried it on Windows 7 by using NAT Network configuration (default) for Daphile VM. I could access Daphile from Windows 7 web browser and I managed to install 3rd party plugins, streamed from Spotify, even ripped from CD, etc... Only thing that I noticed not to work was File Server that is not available through NAT. Note: there are some problems with audio in VM, short breaks etc...

I'm not a Linux expert or coder so can't offer you a solution for an interactive statc ip configuration unless it's possiible to serve a webpage on the local "daphile" device itself as part of the boot process, or via some clever use of plymouth. The user would have no console access, but this would no longer be a totally headless design. Other than that, preseeding the "daphile" iso in some way, which for example can done with a debian-installer via a cgf file, seems a possible answer.

I don't use Win7 and prefer not to install VMPlayer for Linux.

Not wishing to sound critical, but have you written your own code for ripping CDs or re-used what you might find in vortexbox for example? There are bound to be potential users who will question the quality of CD rips and will want to know what software is being used.

Chris

Not wishing to sound critical, but have you written your own code for ripping CDs or re-used what you might find in vortexbox for example? There are bound to be potential users who will question the quality of CD rips and will want to know what software is being used.

The core of the CD ripping is cdparanoia III 10.2. Currently it's used without any special options:

cdparanoia -d $CDDRIVE -L -q -e ...

I have planned to include some ripping related settings (eg. drive offset) to Web UI but not implemented them yet.

I've made no study of CD rippers, but this does seem to be an area in which Windows software like EAC and dbpoweramp has no real equivalent in Linux. Morituri looks interesting, but is work in progress, and I'm not sure if "abcde" development is still active. When you read this vortexbox page about ripping in Linux, it's not all that encouraging ...

Rip CD Collection

Chris

I've made no study of CD rippers, but this does seem to be an area in which Windows software like EAC and dbpoweramp has no real equivalent in Linux. Morituri looks interesting, but is work in progress, and I'm not sure if "abcde" development is still active. When you read this vortexbox page about ripping in Linux, it's not all that encouraging ...

Rip CD Collection

I agree. At least I don't know if there exists any as versatile CD ripper for Linux as eg. dbpoweramp seems to be (haven't used by myself).

I think that all Linux rippers are based on CDparanoia (morituri, abcde, ripit, also Daphile, etc...). So no differences there. Morituri really seems interesting with its AccurateRip, Hidden Track, etc... features. I'll have to take a closer look on it.

The ripper implementation in Daphile is currently pretty basic. Use of Gracenote DB for metadata and cover art is kind of a new feature for Linux rippers. It enables for example more consistent GENRE tagging (than FreeDB) and also important metadata for Classical Music (fetching not yet implemented to Daphile). Daphile is also WIP.

CHANGES on August 28th 2013:

• Bug fix release - no new features
  • Wireless networking fixes: recover from initial scan failure, simultaneous client/hotspot operation fixed
  • Sound format conversions improved for different audio devices (use plughw as fallback)
  • Some other bug fixes and minor changes

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Hi Kipeta,

I'm very satisfied with your Daphile, it's so simple to install and the results is very good, the only issue right now is the DSD playback, I have couple dff and dsf files and Exd usb interface and it's not working, it was with mpd solution, any thoughts ?

Regards,

Alexandre.

Hi Kipeta,

I'm very satisfied with your Daphile, it's so simple to install and the results is very good, the only issue right now is the DSD playback, I have couple dff and dsf files and Exd usb interface and it's not working, it was with mpd solution, any thoughts ?

Regards,

Alexandre.

Thanks for feedback and reporting problem.

Couple "stupid" questions just in order to understand the problem in detail and narrow it down:

a) Is the Exd USB interface working with Daphile for other music formats?

b) Does media server include your DSD files into library?

c) Did you manage to play your DSD files without "DSD-over-PCM"-option (sw conversion to pcm)?

d) Are you using the latest version?

Could you also send the content from Daphile web page http://daphile.local/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi.

You could also reply through the contact form at http://www.daphile.com.

Hi Kipeta,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

a) Yes it is with wav , flac and mp3

b) My DSD files are in the same folder and I can pick any of them from Daphile "My Music"

c) I tryed using both options, with DSD-over-PCM flag on and off and so far no sound

d) Yes I'm using current version 13.08-b281325-x86_64

Regards,

Alexandre.

Thanks for feedback and reporting problem.

Couple "stupid" questions just in order to understand the problem in detail and narrow it down:

a) Is the Exd USB interface working with Daphile for other music formats?

b) Does media server include your DSD files into library?

c) Did you manage to play your DSD files without "DSD-over-PCM"-option (sw conversion to pcm)?

d) Are you using the latest version?

Could you also send the content from Daphile web page http://daphile.local/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgi.

You could also reply through the contact form at www.daphile.com.

Hi Kipeta,

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

a) Yes it is with wav , flac and mp3

b) My DSD files are in the same folder and I can pick any of them from Daphile "My Music"

c) I tryed using both options, with DSD-over-PCM flag on and off and so far no sound

d) Yes I'm using current version 13.08-b281325-x86_64

Regards,

Alexandre.

Answer to question c) is interesting. I had very limited set of DSD files during the development and it seems now that my software is somehow not decoding your files. Are they possible DST compressed? Are those files available free somewhere?

What exactly happens when you try to play? Does it seem to play but is completely silent? Or is the progress bar stopped?

Have you tried any files from High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH I have used for example this:

http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L-038_stereo_01_01_DSD64.zip

Kipeta,

I'm using exactly these files form Nordic sound 2L.

I can see the progress bar running with DSD files but just no sound.

Thanks and Regards,

Alexandre.

Answer to question c) is interesting. I had very limited set of DSD files during the development and it seems now that my software is somehow not decoding your files. Are they possible DST compressed? Are those files available free somewhere?

What exactly happens when you try to play? Does it seem to play but is completely silent? Or is the progress bar stopped?

Have you tried any files from High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH I have used for example this:

http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L-038_stereo_01_01_DSD64.zip

:)

Thanks for your feedback. Find my comments and answers below.

I have included snd-usb-hiface.ko but because I don't have such a DAC by myself I haven't been able to test it.

Could you perhaps give more information about your Atom PC. Please send it though:

Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles

In the Storages settings the "Local mount name" is meant to be short ID for the share (not the mount point). Each network storage will have its own mount point directory automatically (name with "Local mount name") at "/srv/mediaserver/music/Network Drives/".

I understand. Let's see how this develops. At least I'll try to improve documentation because the main target is to have easy to setup and use system for audiophiles who don't want install, compile, setup and configure system by themselves.

Library update status is available on Info page. Daphile should update library automatically if there are any changes in the library.

This is definitely something that I'm also interested though I don't currently have a DAC with DSD support. I'll look into this in the future.

I tried one ARM board but I wasn't very pleased with it. I haven't found any good board that would also have SATA. I ended up to a Atom N2600 which is also very low power. I have Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B equiped with SSD which gives me completely silent solution. Its Wifi module supports WLAN hotspot (hostapd) functionality.

maybe it lacks a "depmod -a" ?

maybe an example is needed in the input box? as one that is in place for cifs share?

I totally agree. But for the beta phase/testers a shell should be available, just not to waste time with a lot of emails.

for large music collections it can take some time. for example in ncmpcc (a mps server client) you can force an update just for a folder / subfolders

If you need help just ask :) I have a dsd dac.

same as above I can test it on a quad wandboard. I'm currently running debian with mpd on it and so far I'm happy with the performance.

Thanks for your feedback. Find my comments and answers below.

I have included snd-usb-hiface.ko but because I don't have such a DAC by myself I haven't been able to test it.

Could you perhaps give more information about your Atom PC. Please send it though:

Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles

In the Storages settings the "Local mount name" is meant to be short ID for the share (not the mount point). Each network storage will have its own mount point directory automatically (name with "Local mount name") at "/srv/mediaserver/music/Network Drives/".

I understand. Let's see how this develops. At least I'll try to improve documentation because the main target is to have easy to setup and use system for audiophiles who don't want install, compile, setup and configure system by themselves.

Library update status is available on Info page. Daphile should update library automatically if there are any changes in the library.

This is definitely something that I'm also interested though I don't currently have a DAC with DSD support. I'll look into this in the future.

I tried one ARM board but I wasn't very pleased with it. I haven't found any good board that would also have SATA. I ended up to a Atom N2600 which is also very low power. I have Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B equiped with SSD which gives me completely silent solution. Its Wifi module supports WLAN hotspot (hostapd) functionality.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree the DHCP is a requirement that limits usability for some and I should have mentioned it somewhere. I try to solve the problem by adding support for static IP configuration but still keep solution headless (no configurations through local console; maybe an optional configuration file on unetbootin created USB flash could work).

I think VMPlayer could work for you. I tried it on Windows 7 by using NAT Network configuration (default) for Daphile VM. I could access Daphile from Windows 7 web browser and I managed to install 3rd party plugins, streamed from Spotify, even ripped from CD, etc... Only thing that I noticed not to work was File Server that is not available through NAT. Note: there are some problems with audio in VM, short breaks etc...

As cmiu already wrote the first box is for computer1:/cd and second box for any alias like "CDs".

I'm not familiar with Windows Server NFS, sorry. What do you have in the "exports"-configurations (in Linux /etc/exports). Have you limited authorized address space? And is the address of Daphile among authorized ones?

Did you use any special mount option when you succeeded to mount it with other Linux computer?

And one stupid basic question: Did you possibly try this with virtual machine or real HW boot?

The core of the CD ripping is cdparanoia III 10.2. Currently it's used without any special options:

cdparanoia -d $CDDRIVE -L -q -e ...

I have planned to include some ripping related settings (eg. drive offset) to Web UI but not implemented them yet.

Hello, I am new comer

Hi Kipeta,

Here is the feedback from this link:

Card #0: DummyCard #1: exD USB-DSD Audio Serial: DSD_DoP Driver: snd-usb-audio USB BUS: 001/002 Device ID: abcd:0008 USB driver: ehci-pci IRQ: 23 Device #0: USB Audio Max sample rate: 384000 Format: S32_LE

Regards,

Alexandre.

This interesting...

Could you check the output from:

http://daphile.local/cgi-bin/audioinfo.cgireplace daphile.local if needed.

Are you able to play DSD files with other audio devices?