IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

hi all

I currently use a 2 PC Daphile ( server-client) system, both PCs are wifi linked to modem/router; i am satisfied about sound quality but i can't get dsd 128 upsample because wifi network can't support it. Furthermore it seems ( A novel way to massively improve the SQ of the sMS-200 and microRendu ) that client- server direct connection, so eliminating the needed links to modem router, dramatically improves sound quality.

Is anyone here able to suggest how to implement a Daphile two machines server-client direct connection? so i would have Daphile pc-server wifi linked to router and ethernet cable linked to Daphile pc-server.

Thanks in advance

Marco

hi Alex,

thanks for prompt reply. I ask more because i'm informatic ignorant.

1- assign a fixed IP address ( es 192.168.1.160), router(?) and DNS Server (?) in server network settings

2- assign a the same fixed address ( 192.168.1.160), router ( ? the same ) and DNS server (? the same) in client network settings

3- save & restart

Thanks

Marco

Hi Marco,

1- assign a fixed IP address ( you have 192.168.1.160), router(your router IP) and DNS Server (again your router IP) in server network settings

2- assign other (NOT the same!!) fixed address (say 192.168.1.161), router (192.168.1.160) and DNS server (192.168.1.160) in client network settings

In client settings General check Media server is set on External and Server address is your server IP (192.168.1.160)

3- save & restart both!!

Cheers, Alex

No way it works!

I tried all your suggested settings with a normal ethernet cable and with a crossover ethernet cable. I tried with server enabled wifi and client wifi off and the reverse.

No way. Perhaps Daphile can't be linked with ethernet and wifi connection at the same time.

Anyway , thanks for patience and help

Marco

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think he wants to bypass a router altogether and connect his storage and second PC directly to his main PC. I think he can do this.

Marco, you will need a network switching box, preferably a high-quality one. Your main PC will typically have it's own address of something like 10.0.0.1. Connect your NAS and you second PC to a network switch and connect that in turn to your main PC. Go to your NAS network setting, set to DHCP and tell it use your main PC as a router. The router address would be 10.0.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, and DNS serve 10.0.0.1. Set up your second PC the same way. I*think* this will work.

Hi Zack

my desidered configuration would be : server Daphile PC wifi connected (for Qobuz streaming and Squeezepad control) + Hdd for music > ethernet cable >netbook Daphile client > USB dac. No NAS, i prefer Qobuz streaming and upsamplng to DSD.

I used a network switch to connect Daphile server and Daphile client and it worked but sound quality was so so.

Thanks

Marco

If you are using an all in one Modem-router-wireless than that IS your problem. The tech in them is 5 yrs old and that is the issue. Buy a modem (Docsis 3.0 - they can be had for 45-100 USD) then a router/firewall/wireless such as ASUS RT-AC3200. This will give you the throughput desired.

I use all in one modem router wireless so i'll follow your suggestion. Thanks.

"academic" problem remains : it is possible to directly (ethernet) connect a two PCs Daphile System mainteining in the meantime wifi access?

Marco

Totally agree with the above. Would like to know more so one can give better information.

English is not my first languase so sorry in advance if my writing is not clear.

My question is not general ( bridged wifi, ethernet bridge) but is specifically related to Daphile system and to my audio setting.

I have no ethernet cabled network nor i have the chance to bring an ethernet cable from router to music room.

I tried powerline 500Mps but it didn't work well ( lot of interruptions).

So i have just a wifi LAN.

I like and use Daphile, i like and use Qobuz streaming, i like upsampling pcm to Dsd 128 because IMHO sound quality is better tha original ( I tried 128 Dsd upsample with Daphile one pc configuration ). I prefer a Daphile 2 Pcs ( server-client) configuration because IMHO sound quality is better than Daphile on one machine ( evaluation of course based only on PCM listening). My 2 PCs Daphile system is wifi linked and it streams pcm ( to 384khz) flawlessy but no Dsd 128 is allowed because many sound interruptions ( probably related to insufficiency of my old modem-router-wifi set).

I tried Daphile 2 PCs direct ( via crossover ethernet cable ) link by setting fixed IP, router and DNS server address and by disabling wifi on both machines. It works ! Squeezepad works based on Daphile wifi spot( automatically generated) , client finds server, 128 dsd upsample is okay, sound quality is very very good. But, no Qobuz streaming is possible because there is no internet access. Then i enable wifi on server machine and the system goes crazy ( client and audio device are not achievable ); then i enable wifi on client ( with server wifi turned off ) and server was not achievable.

So question is : in Daphile settings ( not in general ) it is possible to directly ( ethernet ) link server and client PCs while mantaining a wifi access?

Thanks

Marco

Yes.

You have to have some Linux knowledge to do this.

Go buy a cheap switch and make your life easier. Once you have a switch in between both machines all you have to do is route all none internal rout-able addresses "0.0.0.0" through your WiFi. The rest can stay local in between your two systems with static mappings under the same subnet..

ok , i'll go and buy a switch, but i don't know if my life will be easier because i don't understand what i have to do.

I'll try and ask you for more infos

Thanks

Marco

After your suggestions i found an old modem router with 4 ethernet ports; it can't work as wifi repeater ( at least i'm no able to ...), so i connected a powerlink to port 1, Daphile server pc to port 2 and Daphile client pc to port 3. It works without any setting modification ! and info submenu in Daphile pages displays that both PCs are ethernet connected. It is possible to stream Qobuz from home modem-router via powerlink and dsd 128 upsample works well without any interruption (i suppose all traffic between the two PCs remaining local ) Thanks for all the infos again. Sound quality is very good and in a short time i want to compare this setting with one machine Daphile set.

Marco

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

Of course daphile will work on a NUC. Depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend? I don't think the i7 will support dsd512 upsampling but it should do dsd256; as would the i5. Be wary of fan noise. Also look at other nucs such as those on aliexpress and gigabyte.

yes,

my question is relative to the clamor aroused  by the combination  Audiolunx/Intel Nuc and relative high jump in sound quality. 

As Audiolinux is a real time kernel operation,  i wonder if Daphile ( even in its variant real time kernel)/Intel Nuc  combination can make the same improvements.

Marco