IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

CHANGES:

• PCM-to-DSD conversion improved: noise-shaping filter and rate options. Thanks to "mansr" for his excellent work on SoX DSD support!
  • Minor web interface improvements (e.g. fullscreen webapp mode for mobiles)
  • Some audio driver and application updates
  • Many bug fixes and various small improvements

There is also an updated version of Daphile Installation Instructions available at Daphile web site.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed - please use the contact form on Daphile web site.

I installed the rt version on my HP 8440p notebook (i7 920, 4gb ram) and smsl m8 dac. After a lot of playing with settings I was able to play music upsampled to DSD128 using dop and noticed a sharper and deeper sound than that with win 10 pro and foobar.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon experimenting with my xmos gustard u12 and x20u. I could get dsd128 with dop on the u12 but no native and no dsd256 which I could get with foobar and a modified thesycon driver. I could not get the x20u to work without stuttering (even with clipping set to max). I found you had to ensure the CPU power freq settings were set to max (2.5 GHz). If anyone has the x20 working please send me your settings. By the way, up sampling to 340k was delicious. Shame no DSD!

Also please confirm if there would be any advantage trying the non rt kernel version. Note I switched the rt setting to off.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you. From your post it looks like DSD processing is going on in server not in player. However you can't say for sure since there's no visual evidence like choosing the option force to server in case PCM. There is no CPU load data in Daphile Info, you can judge on temperature though. Pity it's not documented in manual.

There is CPU load data. See the info screen. Shows average load for the last 1,5 and 15 minutes. The number shows the % sum of all cores. See Understanding Linux CPU Load - when should you be worried?

• 2 months later...
Hi all

I have a really peculiar issue. When I set PCM>DSD at DSD64, everything is fine. In fact great, I am incredibly impressed with the conversion SQ. BUT when I set PCM>DSD to DSD128 and play native DSD256 files, I get stuttering!! Back to PCM>DSD at DSD64 and DSD256 files play perfectly.

I know this sounds stupid. I mean, when I'm playing native DSD256 files the PCM>DSD conversion program is not being used! But illogical as it sounds, this is what happens. (Incidentally, the PCM>DSD128 plays PCM files just fine.)

My server is the Lampizator Komputer but I don't imagine that is relevant since it is altering the settings in Daphile that creates the issue.

Any ideas, any one? Cheers

Philip

Have you looked at the advanced player settings and increased the attenuation

Thanks for the suggestion Triplefun. I will try this at the weekend. But just out of interest, how could changing a PCM resampling filter setting affect the playing of a native DSD256 file? I just don't understand- not trying to be clever!

You would be surprised. I have used it to smooth out DSD playback for both my Gustard X20u and SMSL M8. I don't think it is PCM resampling but specific to DSD and the xcore USB Audio 2.0 driver (assuming this is what you are using). I've copied the settings for my SMSL M8 - set attenuation to -5db to get rid of 'stutter'.

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Hi all

I have a really peculiar issue. When I set PCM>DSD at DSD64, everything is fine. In fact great, I am incredibly impressed with the conversion SQ. BUT when I set PCM>DSD to DSD128 and play native DSD256 files, I get stuttering!! Back to PCM>DSD at DSD64 and DSD256 files play perfectly.

I know this sounds stupid. I mean, when I'm playing native DSD256 files the PCM>DSD conversion program is not being used! But illogical as it sounds, this is what happens. (Incidentally, the PCM>DSD128 plays PCM files just fine.)

My server is the Lampizator Komputer but I don't imagine that is relevant since it is altering the settings in Daphile that creates the issue.

Any ideas, any one? Cheers

Philip

I just tried downsampling DSD256 to DSD128 using my SMSL M8. It worked with no issues as I suspected. CPU Load (see info tab, g4400 Pentium cpu, system load) is 1.3. For a dual core CPU peak would be 2.0

The Transcode log file shows

Untitled.png

Are you using Native DSD or DoP in the audio settings? If you are using Native try DoP. I have also had issues with this setting depending on the DAC.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at building a high quality fanless silent music server using daphile based on a mini itx mobo with m.2 ssd, 4tb of storage and capable of dsd 256 up sampling. Itx gives me flexibility re the inclusion of a pcie usb card.

What is the recommended CPU? I have tried an Intel g4400 which runs 50%.

Should I consider a dual core 4 thread i3 6100.?

Would an i5 or i7 add any value other than cost?

Why do windows music audiophiles insist on an i7?

Would a nuc with external USB drive be much of a compromise?

What about a second hand notebook as a dedicated server?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Philip ----- I also have a Lampizator Komputer - but with a Big 7 DAC -- but have not had much luck trying to upconvert to DSD.

I've read all the messages in this thread & made various adjustments/ tweaks over the past few weeks - I've also set it to play from RAM ( but realize this step needs to be re-activated whenever the power is toggled). But I can't seem to get it to play DSD without massive stuttering/ buffering -- even converting just to DSD64. ( my Big 7 is only capable of DSD 128 -- but I'd be happy just getting DSD64 to work -- not that I'm unhappy with the PCM sound quality)

I've checked PCM resampling steep filter -- set attenuation to -5 db ---Noise shaping to SDM-4--- it will play fine for about 5 minutes - but then starts buffering -- so I switch back to straight PCM

Are you having any difficulties playing DSD & what sample rate can you play at ?

thanks for any help or advice you can provide on the settings you are using.

Bart

Check the cpu usage (system load) in the info tab. This gives the sum of the cpu thread utilisation (eg. 4 threads @ 50% usage would be 2.0). This should have an Intel i5 cpu with 4 threads. More than 60% (?) and you will probably get some stuttering. Make sure you tick all the boxes in the settings -> power section and raise the cpu frequency to max. Finally check the attenuation in the audio devices advanced player settings.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Strongly suggest you load the latest Beta based on Linux 4.8.15 (see 16.12-b17104). It is more efficient than the previous versions and is more stable re recognition and support of USB DACs, especially when processing PCM to DSD. When in Daphile go to "settings", then change the URL to \\daphile\cgi-bin\Devel

If you have labeled your device other than "daphile" then use that

Scroll down to see the Install line. Paste the required ISO install and process accordingly.

The beta versions can be found here ..

Index of /firmware/beta

• 2 months later...

And your point is? Stuttering in daphile is typically caused by lack of system resources. Tidal access problems seems to only affect a few and given the large number of lms and daphile users presumably with working tidal ( including myself) then the problems people are having are specific to their environment and not necessarily a fault with daphile.

• 2 weeks later...
English is not my first languase so sorry in advance if my writing is not clear.

My question is not general ( bridged wifi, ethernet bridge) but is specifically related to Daphile system and to my audio setting.

I have no ethernet cabled network nor i have the chance to bring an ethernet cable from router to music room.

I tried powerline 500Mps but it didn't work well ( lot of interruptions).

So i have just a wifi LAN.

I like and use Daphile, i like and use Qobuz streaming, i like upsampling pcm to Dsd 128 because IMHO sound quality is better tha original ( I tried 128 Dsd upsample with Daphile one pc configuration ). I prefer a Daphile 2 Pcs ( server-client) configuration because IMHO sound quality is better than Daphile on one machine ( evaluation of course based only on PCM listening). My 2 PCs Daphile system is wifi linked and it streams pcm ( to 384khz) flawlessy but no Dsd 128 is allowed because many sound interruptions ( probably related to insufficiency of my old modem-router-wifi set).

I tried Daphile 2 PCs direct ( via crossover ethernet cable ) link by setting fixed IP, router and DNS server address and by disabling wifi on both machines. It works ! Squeezepad works based on Daphile wifi spot( automatically generated) , client finds server, 128 dsd upsample is okay, sound quality is very very good. But, no Qobuz streaming is possible because there is no internet access. Then i enable wifi on server machine and the system goes crazy ( client and audio device are not achievable ); then i enable wifi on client ( with server wifi turned off ) and server was not achievable.

So question is : in Daphile settings ( not in general ) it is possible to directly ( ethernet ) link server and client PCs while mantaining a wifi access?

Thanks

Marco

Rather than a switch why not get a wireless repeater with a built in switch. The daphile client and server connect to the router Ethernet ports and the router wirelessly links to the internet via your remote wireless internet router.

THis is the PC (Xi3 Pro 3) I am using. It is not much bigger than the iFi Nano DAC I am using or the USB External drive that contains my music. Back left is my other PC, an Aopen MP45-D that I initially used.

Can you upsample real time to dsd256 native with no stuttering and minimal attenuation?

Hi everyone,

Do you know where to find older version of Daphile installation image? I've been trying to install Daphile to my legacy computer but the screen kept going blank after some "LINUX... loading..." line, I used Unetbootin, Rufus, USBWriter but there was no different so I think the fault could be in the newer version file. (Last year I used older version of Daphile and it worked perfectly).Thank you.

Why did you use unetbootin? Using Rufus to load a bootable USB stick loaded with the daphile iso file is all you require.

Yes I've done all that...no other USB drive enabled, setting up BIOS boot sequence. The thing is I did a successful installation quite some time ago, maybe last year but now I just can't. It made me think maybe the fault lies in the current iso file, that's why I asked for an older version of it just to make sure.

The fact that many have successfully downloaded and installed this iso file suggests there may be something incompatible with your machine. Try the beta (http://www.daphile.com/firmware/private-beta/) which is based on the latest Linux releases.

Hi all.

Just manage to boot Daphile onto my Mac mini and I can connect to it with my iPad via web browser.

Daphile doesn't seem to recognise my Chord Dave.

When I go to Audio Devices, it just says no compatible audio devices.

Please help.

Thanks

Try the beta which has better usb support ..

The beta (http://www.daphile.com/firmware/private-beta/) builds on the latest Linux releases. Note Dave is usb audio 2.0 class compliant.