IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Has anyone tried to upsample PCM-->DSD256 or higher? Did you manage it without dropouts/hiccups?

What sort of PC equipment do you have, especially CPU+RAM?

I have an iFi Nano DSD and an AMD Athlon 5350, 2.05 GHz + DDR3-4GB RAM, but I get constant dropouts. I have no problem upsampling to DSD128 via DoP, but with DSD256 it's a problem...

Can I just ask a rather weird question: What are the chances to incorporate HQPlayer's filters for DSD upsampling with Daphile? Is that even possible or is it a problem of copyright/licenses/etc?

Sorry if my question is stupid, but I am seeing more and more people heading towards HQPlayer, especially with the Roon integration that has already happened and everybody praises HQPlayer's ability to upsample to DSD...

Yep, using this version which is dated 25th Feb. daphile-16.02-b251721-x86_64-rt

Was the same with the first beta that had the extra up-sampling options.

Any particular reason why you're using rt instead of normal kernel? Have you heard any sq improvements?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Native mode is now working without extra noises between tracks at least on Ifi iDSD Nano in DSD256 mode but there is still a small gap between tracks on gapless albums like Dark side of the moon.

Can I ask, what sort of computer do you use to listen to DSD256? I also have an ifi nano dsd, but with my Athlon 5350 2.05GHz, I get constant stuttering, which makes it not powerful enough...

• 3 weeks later...
Hello.

I have the device - NaimNet NS02. It`s a music streaming server based on Windows XP Embedded. Some time ago PSU of this devise became dead causing dead of system HDD.

I decided to reanimate and convert this device into music server based on Linux. I replaced PSU and HDD, then Daphile was installed. The device starts, can be accessed via ethernet, see my music library on NAS. On the settigs page I can see 4 audio devices (as much as NS02 has analog audio outputs) defined as Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi.

But! I have no sound. I checked and unchecked every box in mixer control - no effect.

Any suggestions what to do?

Better contact Kimmo, either on the Daphile facebook page or directly via the contact form at the website.

CHANGES:

• PCM-to-DSD conversion improved: noise-shaping filter and rate options. Thanks to "mansr" for his excellent work on SoX DSD support!
  • Minor web interface improvements (e.g. fullscreen webapp mode for mobiles)
  • Some audio driver and application updates
  • Many bug fixes and various small improvements

There is also an updated version of Daphile Installation Instructions available at Daphile web site.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed - please use the contact form on Daphile web site.

Well done guys!!! Welcome to the major league!!!

• 1 month later...
I installed the rt version on my HP 8440p notebook (i7 920, 4gb ram) and smsl m8 dac. After a lot of playing with settings I was able to play music upsampled to DSD128 using dop and noticed a sharper and deeper sound than that with win 10 pro and foobar.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon experimenting with my xmos gustard u12 and x20u. I could get dsd128 with dop on the u12 but no native and no dsd256 which I could get with foobar and a modified thesycon driver. I could not get the x20u to work without stuttering (even with clipping set to max). I found you had to ensure the CPU power freq settings were set to max (2.5 GHz). If anyone has the x20 working please send me your settings. By the way, up sampling to 340k was delicious. Shame no DSD!

Also please confirm if there would be any advantage trying the non rt kernel version. Note I switched the rt setting to off.

Actually it is advised to NOT use the rt kernel, unless you really need to. Try the normal kernel as well and compare between the two...

• 4 weeks later...
I tried the PCM to DSD conversion option last night. The system is a 7 year old Sony VAIO laptop feeding a Benchmark DAC2. Set to DSD64 (the Benchmark's max DSD rate) and the 5th order (safe) filter, RBCD files played back with a more natural, organic flow than I'm used to hearing. Engaging and colorful, but a bit too diffused sounding for my taste. This would be a good setting for overly harsh sounding RBCD files. I jumped to the 7th order filter and the sound maintained the same organic flow and added more precise instrument delineation and clean, extended treble energy. This is a more of a resolution microscope kind of sound but without hyped, edgy treble. Really impressive but a little too intense for me. The 5th order (fast) filter hits it just right to my ear. I'll leave it on this setting for a few weeks to find out if the PCM to DSD sound works for me long term. It's nice to have choices.

I used the CPU load data on the info screen to monitor the VAIO's single core CPU. Moving from native rate to PCM-DSD conversion increased the CPU load from around 0.4-0.5 to 0.7-0.8 and I experienced no issues with dropouts or stuttering. I would not have thought this old laptop could handle up-conversion, but it seems to be working just fine.

Russ

I think the problem with older cpus starts with trying to upsample to DSD256 and above...

• 2 months later...