IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

I am using two mini PC's for running Daphile with no issues. One is a Aopen MP45-D which is a 64 bit intel processor (dual core) with 4 GB RAM and a 80 GB m SATA SSD - running 16.07-64 bit. The other is a real paired down one. It is a Xi3 Pro3 mini PC. It has a dual core AMD 64 bit APU with 4 GB ram - it has a 30 GB mSATA SSD - running the latest beta 64 bit version. For both PC's I am using an iFi Nano and an 2 GB WD USB 3.0 HD for the music. It sounds fantastic. The AMD is not as fast (indexing) but it is whisper silent and is so small. The PC's are wired to my WiFi Extender and use a Samsung Tab 3 for control and using either Squeezer or Squeezebox controller for my remote.

I have tried all the different players, Hysolid (which is very good) JRiver, Foobar 2000 (which has the worst sound of all of them) and other software for Windows 10. My ranking of the sound is: Daphile, Hysolid, JRiver, any others, Foobar 2000. Foobar just sounds like garbage and not worth my time.

I have not tried any MAC software as I do not like MACs (personal preference).

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

What computer are you trying to run Daphile on? I ask because my Azulle Byte Plus has a non-PCI ethernet adapter port, and the Daphile driver often has trouble connecting with it.

You may need a special Linux driver for the Azulle. I would contact support for this PC, they may have a driver for it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

hi all

I currently use a 2 PC Daphile ( server-client) system, both PCs are wifi linked to modem/router; i am satisfied about sound quality but i can't get dsd 128 upsample because wifi network can't support it. Furthermore it seems ( A novel way to massively improve the SQ of the sMS-200 and microRendu ) that client- server direct connection, so eliminating the needed links to modem router, dramatically improves sound quality.

Is anyone here able to suggest how to implement a Daphile two machines server-client direct connection? so i would have Daphile pc-server wifi linked to router and ethernet cable linked to Daphile pc-server.

Thanks in advance

Marco

What do you mean your network won't support it? What Router are you using? There should be no issue if using a 1GB system. As far as wireless, what protocols are being used? One can use even 80211n and that should be plenty of through put for DSD files. 802.11AC would give you wiggle room to even do 5X DSD files.

If you are using an all in one Modem-router-wireless than that IS your problem. The tech in them is 5 yrs old and that is the issue. Buy a modem (Docsis 3.0 - they can be had for 45-100 USD) then a router/firewall/wireless such as ASUS RT-AC3200. This will give you the throughput desired.

As far as novel way to improve SQ stuff - sounds like a lot of snake oil. Can they prove there 'Measurable' differences? People can fool themselves into thinking something sounds better and there is no difference.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

What are you trying to archive?

Are you trying to maintain two active Network connections, One via WiFi and one vie Ethernet?

You can have both system hardwired and have wifi access at the same time, I just don't see the point of this. You will have to give priority to which ever you would like the OS to route first.

I hope I understand your question correctly... Maybe you are talking about a wifi bridge?

Totally agree with the above. Would like to know more so one can give better information.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

English is not my first languase so sorry in advance if my writing is not clear.

My question is not general ( bridged wifi, ethernet bridge) but is specifically related to Daphile system and to my audio setting.

I have no ethernet cabled network nor i have the chance to bring an ethernet cable from router to music room.

I tried powerline 500Mps but it didn't work well ( lot of interruptions).

So i have just a wifi LAN.

I like and use Daphile, i like and use Qobuz streaming, i like upsampling pcm to Dsd 128 because IMHO sound quality is better tha original ( I tried 128 Dsd upsample with Daphile one pc configuration ). I prefer a Daphile 2 Pcs ( server-client) configuration because IMHO sound quality is better than Daphile on one machine ( evaluation of course based only on PCM listening). My 2 PCs Daphile system is wifi linked and it streams pcm ( to 384khz) flawlessy but no Dsd 128 is allowed because many sound interruptions ( probably related to insufficiency of my old modem-router-wifi set).

I tried Daphile 2 PCs direct ( via crossover ethernet cable ) link by setting fixed IP, router and DNS server address and by disabling wifi on both machines. It works ! Squeezepad works based on Daphile wifi spot( automatically generated) , client finds server, 128 dsd upsample is okay, sound quality is very very good. But, no Qobuz streaming is possible because there is no internet access. Then i enable wifi on server machine and the system goes crazy ( client and audio device are not achievable ); then i enable wifi on client ( with server wifi turned off ) and server was not achievable.

So question is : in Daphile settings ( not in general ) it is possible to directly ( ethernet ) link server and client PCs while mantaining a wifi access?

Thanks

Marco

That would be a question for the Daphile developers. I am not sure HOW much of the Linux Kernel they are using.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

That's a good suggestion to!

This is how I am doing it. I have a Wireless router set for repeater mode and my PC's in my office connected to them, including my Daphile PC, wired. The repeater is connected wirelessly using 5 GHz band to the house wireless router (2 stories above - my office is in the basement) and wireless connection (Computers, pads, etc) use 2.4 GHz. THis 2 band system allows for better transfers of data.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

THis is the PC (Xi3 Pro 3) I am using. It is not much bigger than the iFi Nano DAC I am using or the USB External drive that contains my music. Back left is my other PC, an Aopen MP45-D that I initially used.

DSC03387.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Very nice!

Thanks, It sounds surprising and the iFi is a better DAC than it should be. It is like the little engine that could. With this system, I can even play DSF files with no issues. The Xi3 computer, think like a Rasberry Pi on Steroids - it is just one board in the box. I will take pictures later.

I will eventually get the iFi Nano-iUSB3.0 with the proper cables.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Can you upsample real time to dsd256 native with no stuttering and minimal attenuation?

I have not tried that yet. I am still feeling out how will the mini will work. So far so good. I don't think it should be an issue at all, but I have not tried it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I found out the computer uses ECC memory which should help with errors (what is used in Servers). Here is an actual picture of the inside - pretty neat really.

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8661.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

IF people are using an Android phone or pad for control of Daphile, what are they using?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:58 AM, malarz said:

Hi Botrytis,

What the board it is ?

That is the PC board from my Xi3 Pro3 PC. It literally is 4 screws on either side and it slides out. Very neat design. Also is an image of the back of the PC and a AA battery for scale.

DSC03395.JPG

DSC03396.JPG

DSC03397.JPG

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2017 at 12:52 PM, Triplefun said:

The i5 and i7 are Intel CPUs. I think your quad core CPU will struggle with dsd512 up sampling. Daphile provides a 'run from ram' option which supports an initial upload to ram with up sampling and then play back of the uploaded file.

No problems here. I am using a dual core Pentium D and I have no issues with up sampling. You do not need massive horsepower to run music.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 hours ago, rikhav said:

Yes not much horsepower needed when playing audio files as it is

Anything cd resolution and being upsampled to DSD resolution needs lots and lots of cpu power 

At times even 6th gen i7 struggle to do upsampling to DSD 512

No, I have done up sampling to DSD 128. Since my DAC cannot do 512, it is not worth it for me.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 2 years later...

There is a subtle difference to me, for the better.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, skipspence said:

Hi guys! Is there someone using the Hotspot in Daphile to help me out please?

I cannot connect to Daphile Hotspot trying to fill in the default password in smartphone which sees the Hotspot but refuse to connect saying that maybe there's wrong password... Tried it many times with always the same result.   

Is there something wrong that I do?

Thanks in advance!

Asking a stupid question here. Did you make sure Daphile actually has an IP address?

If you connect a monitor to the PC with Daphile, it will show an IP address on the screen.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590