IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

Daphile is working great with my standalone audio PC and Emotiva Stealth DAC.

Sounds terrific.

My question concerns the sample rate expected when playing from the Music-Stations selection.

The Stealth always shows 44.1 no matter what station I am playing.

Is this correct or do I have something set up incorrectly?

I have not tried any high res music files so far, only the stations and a ripped CD, which also shows as 44.1 on the DAC display.

Well I may have answered my own question.

I was able to download and play some higher sample rate music and the Stealth switched to 176.4K

So it's obvious now that the music station player is streaming at 44.1K

But is that the highest those stations will play?

New question is: I have added the Pandora App to the Audio Player page.

But everytime I start it I get the following:

"You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this device."

I am a "free" subscriber and I have the username and password stored under the advanced server menu.

Any help or ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
This new version does not shut down properly on my daphile machine. I issued shutdown command from the web interface, and the machine just hung at the shutdown. I had to do a hard reset to reboot the machine. Same thing happened if I issued a restart command. It's not a big deal. I just want to know if anyone else observed the same thing.

It's normally run headless (I do at least) so I wouldn't normally notice since my PC is inside my audio closet.

Are you expecting the PC to shut off? Or just Daphile to stop running?

Edit: I just tried the SHUTDOWN command and it closed the program on my remote machine and the Daphile PC shut off.

Just what I expected.

Are you possibly running a dual-boot system?

I've sent in a question to Kimmo but I'll ask here as well.

I can use the Select Files To Upload button just fine for .mp3 and other files but when I try it for .flac files it errors out every time.

Unable to upload "filename.flac".

"" transfer error.

(where filename is any file..)

Anyone having any success doing this?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I did finally manage to get Tidal on ickStream working with the Daphile server last night.

Though I am clueless to what change I made that did the trick, lol.

I changed the link given in the WIKI from the standard "Linux on PC" to the "Linux on newer ARM" version.

That was one of the last things I tried, even though I am using a very new Intel processor and MB runing nothing but Daphile.

I also changed the player version in Daphile to Squeezelite I think.

And I also reset the PC a few times during my trials so it's possible that's all it needed.

Just a quick response here but have you looked under the Daphile "Settings:Audio Devices:USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio Device" drop-down box?

It must show as Enabled there.

I also disable the HDA Intel PCH Device while using USB. Not sure it makes a difference but that's the way I use it.

Go to the Settings Tab from your Daphile remote PC app. Inside are several other places to drop down. Use the Audio Devices drop. A lot of info and check boxes will be displayed. There is one titled USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio. Under that is a control called Device: When you click there it should drop down and show a USB Audio device or Disabled. If the only choice is Disabled it may not be recognizing your USB device.

See if that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the best way to use one dahile pc as server and the other as client....

The Daphile "client" you mention is most likely just the web interface.

It's a "remote control" of the Daphile player but the physical "playing" still takes place only at the Daphile installation PC.

I believe what you are trying to do is use your local "client" PC to play files remotely from the Daphile storage area.

The one method that might work is listed in the Daphile PDF:

"c) You can try to find Daphile network drive with your file browser......."

On my remote PC if I use Windows Explorer and look under Network I see a folder called Daphile.

This is basically the Daphile installation PC.

If I browse under that I find the Daphile drives.

Pushing further I can find the music areas and folders containing all the downloads and CD rips.

I believe you can then play those songs over the network on your local PC, but it will not use the Daphile player.

It would have to be some player on your local PC like Windows Media Player, etc.

Sorry if this is not what you are trying to accomplish but maybe someone has a better method or can correct my method.

• 3 weeks later...
Some problem here. I hit play and it ticks off one or two seconds then stops...

I've not tried ShairTunes or the Youtube plugin, but I can say that whenever I try and play content that's not actually available I get the same sequence. (This is usually for music where a search finds the title but not content underneath or it's rights protected.)

Ticks off a second or two or three, then goes to the next song (if it's a CD/Album).

I also had that condition when I had not set up the password properly for the plugin to attach (ickstream, Tidal, Spotify, etc.)

So you may need to research that from the Advanced tab under the Media Server Settings.

Using "some" of the add-on / plugin features is not exactly straightforward, not because of Daphile but because the feature itself has special requirements.

Has anyone got the youtube plugin nworking.

This may be the issue:

Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015

That's one of the videos that shows up in all the lists I see when trying to use the YouTube plugin App from Daphile.

It may be that the Daphile developer can correct it with a new plugin.

Or this may not be the problem at all....

You have no idea how far you just got me in justifying to my girlfriend the time I've spent setting up this system :)

LOL! First time I've been thanked for being a "relationship counselor" :)

Glad my tinkering was helpful.

I did notice a check box under the Advanced controls for ShairTunes plugin in the media server.

It forced "low resolution" I think, whatever that means. That may not have any affect on the sync problem but it was the only control available for ShairTunes in the plugin that I could find.

Good luck!

So if you are on the Advanced Media Server Settings page, at the top is a tab for Advanced.

If you click that, on the top left side of the page, under the Player tab is a drop down arrow that probably says Formatting.

Click that down arrow and one of the selections should be ShairTunes.

If you click that you should see the one option check box I mentioned.

I should add that the ShairTunes option does not show up until you have the plugin working, but you said it did so you should see it.

It would help to know what physical interface you are using and is this all from one physical computer or multiple computers?

Other than that I, have tried the USB output to DAC and SPDIF (COAX) output to DAC, both from the same PC and have not noticed the symptom you mention.

Having the music play "very slow" seems extremely odd to me in the digital realm.

Like a 45RPM record playing at 33 1/3RPM type "slow"?

Are you confusing the two?

Wow. That is highly possible. After I had tinkered with the ShairTunes plugin and YouTube plugin I deleted both from my server since I do not use either. So when I wrote the description I did it from memory. And I am not getting any younger. :)

I will try again tonight to verify if I get the chance.

Sorry about the misdirection...

I had looked there. I see a YouTube selection there that has a low resolution option but not ShairTunes. Are you confusing the two?

Sorry but you are correct. I was confusing the two and I see no options for the ShairTunes plugin.

Just can't multitask any longer... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think this might be due to using a static install (like a Linux Live CD boot) instead of a full install.

I know it is a bit confusing but I think you can have your app settings saved and playlists maybe but are limited to what can be done with a USB device since you are booting from a USB stick. (maybe?) :)

Well, bad guess on my part. ;)

Are you still booting from a USB stick as well?

If so then possibly it is a conflict within the USB driver, but I just tried adding a second USB stick and the RW option stuck upon restart....

What does your "Storage" tab dropdown look like inside Settings?

Well your display looks a bit different than mine.

I'm using version 15.02-b120952-x86_64

All my Types say vfat, not ntfs or ext4. Probably just the formatting I did differently.

Where you show a "Use" column and one check box each drive, I show a "Usage" column with dropdowns for "Disable Music Backup Other" for each drive.

None of that explains why yours doesn't hold RW, unless it's just an older version with a bug.

For example, in the USB live version I had an option to only scan music folders manually which appears to be missing in the full install and replaced with different scan options (unless I've just forgotten where the setting was).

This is normally found under the INFO tab but you may be correct about it being missing from the USB Live version.

Agreed it is odd the two installs show what appear as common features differently.

I note that there is a setting under the Advanced Media Server Settings: Advanved tab for Rescan Music Library.

"You can choose to allow a scheduled rescan of your music library every 24 hours. Set the time, and set the Rescan Timer to ON to use this feature."

Still not the same as the drop down you see I don't think but a useful option for those who like the auto scan feature.