IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

• 2 weeks later...

Only have good words about new version. I am unable to tell a diference regarding sound quality. Daphile was pretty good with RT patch, and now, with plain vanilla kernel, still sounds equally gorgeous on my system.

I am using Matrix X-Sabre DAC + Jeff Rowland Concentra + Monitor Audio Studio 10.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is what Adrian (aka Triode - Squeezelite creator) said at Slimdevices forum:

"There are two buffers - the first one stores the raw stream (compressed) audio, the second the decode audio. PCM is a special case as the process of decoding is just unpacking samples into the second buffer so they are in 32bit format which is used in the output thread, but this is only a special case of decoding. The decode process thread runs whenever there is enough data in the first buffer and enough free space in the second one.

So if you want to stream the whole file at the start then probably make the first one big and keep the second one smaller (defaults at 10 seconds). If you want to stream and decode the whole file at the start then make the second one big.

The second buffer is really only needed to allow crossfade to happen and to separate the high priority output thread from the rest of the processing. Note that it uses 8 bytes per sample (2x32bits) whereas the first buffer uses the native sample rate and so will use less memory for the same amount of audio."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Kipeta,

is it possible to have Daphile on a bootable USB stick which can be

automatically updated if a new version of Daphile comes out?

I do not like reinstalling it everytime a new version occurs ;-)

Sure. Just use a second USB stick as an installation target and make sure to wipe any previous partition from it. Boot from your original Daphile USB stick and select your new installation target; if it is a totally clean volume, Daphile will be able to fit nicely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

USB stick installation is supposed to support initial evaluation stages, while preserving your current PC status intact. You will also experience optimal library indexing performance when running Daphile from internal SSD.

Kimmo (Daphile developer) told me he is running Daphile boot and library from 1TB internal SDD. This is probably the optimal approach, and I adopted something like this for a few weeks. Anyway, due to storage limitations, I moved my library to an external LMS server (running on a 24x7 regime) and told Daphile to use this remote LMS library. This is also very nice approach, since the library is always available and Daphile is now dedicated to player tasks only. I have been using this topology for about one year now, with no single issue.

Yes, this is classic Squeezebox ecosystem topology: remote LMS server and distributed players (Logitech Squeezebox, Transporter, SqueezePlay or SqueezeLite). My system is based on two computers: remote LMS on Windows and local fanless case with Intel motherboard running Daphile.

Regarding Daphile configuration for external LMS server: please check Daphile Settings >> General >> Media Server >> External >> Server address.

If you need support to DSF files, the only option is LMS version 7.9 Beta; otherwhise, you probably should stick to current LMS version 7.7.5.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes my actual experiences and configuration, regarding Daphile and UPnP.

After extensive investigations, I ended up with two distributed hardware components and absolutely no loss of sound quality.

(HW 1) - Daphile running as stand alone renderer (client of an external LMS).

(HW 2) - External Media server running Windows on another room, far away of listening environment.

(HW 2) - Minimserver running under Windows/Java, indexing all of my music stored on same hardware server mentioned above (almost 2TB collection of fully tagged FLAC with DoP and PCM stuff).

(HW 2) - Official Logitech Media Server (v7.7.5) connected to Daphile. No library is indexed here, it is just a gateway for the Squeezebox ecosystem.

(HW 2) - Whitebear Media Server - This LMS component is essential to enable UPnP on the network. It acts as a local proxy mapping the Squeezebox players as UPnP devices on the network.

(HW 2) - BubbleUPnP Server - This service creates a second layer for UPnP, mapping any existing UPnP renderer as OpenHome devices.

Unfortunately, the Media Server platform is limited to Windows environments (Whitebear is ported to Windows only). Another limitation is the necessary sequence of services startup. No big issue, since this Media Server is always up and running (surveillance PC with many other duties).

At the moment, I am able to control Daphile with various UPnP/OpenHome control points (Android and iOS). Gapless playback is fully functional and "on device playlist" is also available.

• 2 months later...

Recently posted @ Facebook:

----------------------

Dear Daphile users,

It seems I need to clarify my previous post where I stated: ”...unfortunately for the time being I won't have enough time to respond, support or further develop Daphile". This does not mean the end of Daphile – no way. It just means that there won't be any new exciting features in the near future nor will I have time to respond the numerous support or feature requests.

However I will continue to build and release maintenance updates (incl. kernel, LMS, etc... updates) every now and then. The intermediate and more frequent beta releases will be available at http://www.daphile.com/firmware/private-beta/ and they will have the ssh access enabled (the public releases haven't had it ever). You'll be able to get the updates from there by changing the “Firmware stage” setting from “testing” to “build” at http://daphile/cgi-bin/Devel.

The release policy will be such that after I have made a new public release I'll delete all the previous private-beta versions from the hosting server. The old public releases will be stored at http://www.daphile.com/firmware/testing/old/.

Kind regards

Kimmo