IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

• 3 months later...

Hello Kimmo,

Finally I decided to test Daphile on my setup but seems with not much success at all ...

I installed on USB stick and tried on AsRock Q 1900DC MB . Every time the Player has rescanned the library about 1 GB from USB HDD the Mediaserver crashes. Tried it several times - all the same.

What did I do wrong? Unfortunately I have no DAC which is recognized by Daphile at the moment, so I wanted to try only library functions, but I doubt that is the reason... so please help

Thanks in advance for your possible advise.

Regards,

Alex

Ps. Could not PM you from your site - sorry..

Hello Kimmo,

Finally I decided to test Daphile on my setup but seems with not much success at all ...

I installed on USB stick and tried on AsRock Q 1900DC MB . Every time the Player has rescanned the library about 1 GB from USB HDD the Mediaserver crashes. Tried it several times - all the same.

What did I do wrong? Unfortunately I have no DAC which is recognized by Daphile at the moment, so I wanted to try only library functions, but I doubt that is the reason... so please help

Thanks in advance for your possible advise.

Regards,

Alex

Ps. Could not PM you from your site - sorry..

PM sent.

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed the new version - thanks Kimmo for the traditional monthly update and let's hope that the next one for Christmas will present us the mostly wanted one feature - guess what I mean? Let's poll it a little bit here ...

My vote once and for all is for sacd.iso support anyway !

My guestion though:

Why Media Server removes existing links from the database every time I would boot with no music drives connected? Would it possible to leave the data links untouched to protect the missing drives when I just would do the maintenance ? I haven't found anything in media server options to prevent this. Or maybe I do something wrong?

Can any one advise please? Thanks, and great player BTW - hat off to developer!

• 3 weeks later...
I could never get the emmc to work as a boot drive for Daphile. If anybody has been able to I would be interested to find out how. I wonder if the following is enabled in the kernel....

CONFIG_MMC=y

CONFIG_MMC_BLOCK=y

CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y

CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PCI=y

Have you asked Kimmo if it's enabled? Any feedback from him on this issue would be highly anticipated.

The NUC DE3815TYKHE is very interesting PC in terms of Linux usage for music.

Have you also tried CF or SD cards for Daphile?

Hi skipspence,

I'm now using DE3815TYKHE and I have asked same question to Kimmo before, but can't solve it right now.

Recently, I found it may be cause for the format of eMMC and I asked the question in Daphile facebook.

Hi lit2ken

Is the 2nd drive on your picture eMMC? Then it looks like it's working as Daphile boot?

Please keep informed on your research and post your thoughts here.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

​I just discovered this option in Advanced Player Settings (only for PCM resampling) which I found very helpful when using Daphile in 2xPC setup (Player-Server) where the resource consuming operations are relayed to the more powerful Server machine with higher bandwidth etc.

However I couldn't find this option by doing PCM to DSD resampling. Is it not yet possible by design that we cannon force the Audio Processing to the Server when we convert PCM to DSD or would it also be there with the next Daphile updates?

Anyway thanks to the developers for this great breakthrough priceless!

I have been using one better computer as Daphile server, and other less powerful computer as player which is connecting to the DAC for a while.

I have had the server doing the PCM to DSD up sampling. I have a great result about that!

If I get you right, using the x2PC configuration with Daphile you could set up the server to upsample PCM to DSD and send the DSD to player? Could you please inform which settings did you use for both: player and server?

On server I could resample the PCM only: in Advanced Player Settings I check "Audio Processing > Force to Media Server". When using upsample PCM to DSD I don't have this option in Advanced Player Settings to force audio processing to server, i.e. the upsampling to DSD - in player? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd be grateful if you would point me to this.

I have forgotten to tell you that I am using the server address to control rather than the player address.

Also I have 3 other Picoreplayer using this server at the same time without any problem. The only problem is I cannot sync with all rooms if I am playing DSD and the others are playing PCM only. I guess the server is not powerful enough to handle DSD and PCM at the same time. If I sync all others and leave the one playing DSD alone at the same time is not a problem. Well if I really need to sync all of them, I can just configure all rooms are playing PCM when need.

Thank you. From your post it looks like DSD processing is going on in server not in player. However you can't say for sure since there's no visual evidence like choosing the option force to server in case PCM. There is no CPU load data in Daphile Info, you can judge on temperature though. Pity it's not documented in manual.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I noticed some strange noise, like RF static, converting the 48kHz rates (96kHz; 192 kHz) to DSD and streaming DSD in native mode.

Strangely it doesn't appear when I do the same with 44,1kHz group of rates, i.e. 88,2kHz; 176,4kHz, or streaming all rates in DSD DoP mode...

Since I'm not sure if it's Daphile or my DAC (Geek Pulse XFi 2V0), asking the testers and developer kindly to respond.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
Check the cpu usage (system load) in the info tab. This gives the sum of the cpu thread utilisation (eg. 4 threads @ 50% usage would be 2.0). This should have an Intel i5 cpu with 4 threads. More than 60% (?) and you will probably get some stuttering. Make sure you tick all the boxes in the settings -> power section and raise the cpu frequency to max. Finally check the attenuation in the audio devices advanced player settings.

Hi Triplefun

How do you manage to raise the cpu frequency in Daphile settings? Or do you in your pc bios ?

I have stutters converting to DSD256 "on the fly", but cpu load remains low ..

Thanks, Alex

Hi,

Strangely, the CPU frequency tab doesn't display in Power section on my Daphile setup, that's why I asked you.. Maybe it's due to BIOS Power Management not being enabled on my PC. Can't check it now (run it headless with no graphic card installed). It's i5 CPU of older generation, converting to DSD256 online it stutters with 1.0 load, a 25% per core. Converting to DSD128 online and original files in DSD256 play just fine.

• 5 months later...

Hi Marco,

For server-client direct connection you may need to assign your server's fixed ip-address in client's Networking settings, both: Router and DNS Servers, then Save & Restart.

At least for me it worked like this. Not to say that it "massively" improved the SQ, which is already fine with Daphile, but sounded some different at a first sight.

Would be fine when you report your impressions when you are done.

Cheers, Alex

Hi Marco,

1- assign a fixed IP address ( you have 192.168.1.160), router(your router IP) and DNS Server (again your router IP) in server network settings

2- assign other (NOT the same!!) fixed address (say 192.168.1.161), router (192.168.1.160) and DNS server (192.168.1.160) in client network settings

In client settings General check Media server is set on External and Server address is your server IP (192.168.1.160)

3- save & restart both!!

Cheers, Alex

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...