IGNORED

Auralic Vega: my review

No problem

Does it take an hour for each change in clock settings or is that just for the first hour

This thing is sounding very good took a week to come around

Will be hard to send back, but I am going to demo something else before deciding

What else are you planning on demo'ing?

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I'd like to hear the exasound, Metrum Hex, and go crazy with Lampizator
John Darko in his review contrasted the Metrum vs the Vega... Going from a DAC with a small display, I really love the large OLED of the Vega but this only matters if you are using it's volume control really or fancy an "apple like" clean design.

Just curious, is the Exasound a true balanced differential design and does it come with a high quality linear power supply or is this something you have to further invest later (like the QuteHD)?

Good luck!

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

One comment on the Vega that I don't recall being mentioned. The unit is easily converted between regional voltages with a jumper setting under the hood. This was a very attractive option for me living abroad. Auralic doesn't advertise this but I confirmed prior to purchase.

Equipment:

I have now about 100 hours of burn in time with the Vega. I am comparing it to my present DAC which is a Weiss Medea+. The Weiss is fed from a mod Mac Mini by firewire and the Vega is fed by USB by the same Mac. The player is A+ with integer mode enabled. Here are my observations. With 44.1 kHz files, filter 1 sounds better than filter 4 while with higher resolution files, filter 4 sounds better in the context of my system. Compared to the 4.5 x more expensive Weiss, the Weiss produces a deeper soundstage, while the Vega produces a more "in your face" kind of staging. They are both equally 3D like, just that the Weiss is set further back. With the Weiss, the space in which the music is recorded is more apparent than the Vega and voices take on more complexity. However, the Vega has a stronger sense of rhythm and drive, with drums and snares producing greater impact. All in all, they do sound different and its hard to call a clear winner. For large scale classical work, the Weiss portrays a grander image, with various instruments having their own space and the acoustics of the hall is more apparent. The Vega seems just a little simpler. However, the Vega seems to induce a little more "toe-tapping" especially in jazz works. All in all, amazing considering the price difference between the DACs. Interestingly, I preferred A+ over Amarra 2.5 with the Vega, but the Weiss to my ears sounded better with the Amarra.

I have now about 100 hours of burn in time with the Vega. I am comparing it to my present DAC which is a Weiss Medea+. The Weiss is fed from a mod Mac Mini by firewire and the Vega is fed by USB by the same Mac. The player is A+ with integer mode enabled. Here are my observations. With 44.1 kHz files, filter 1 sounds better than filter 4 while with higher resolution files, filter 4 sounds better in the context of my system. Compared to the 4.5 x more expensive Weiss, the Weiss produces a deeper soundstage, while the Vega produces a more "in your face" kind of staging. They are both equally 3D like, just that the Weiss is set further back. With the Weiss, the space in which the music is recorded is more apparent than the Vega and voices take on more complexity. However, the Vega has a stronger sense of rhythm and drive, with drums and snares producing greater impact. All in all, they do sound different and its hard to call a clear winner. For large scale classical work, the Weiss portrays a grander image, with various instruments having their own space and the acoustics of the hall is more apparent. The Vega seems just a little simpler. However, the Vega seems to induce a little more "toe-tapping" especially in jazz works. All in all, amazing considering the price difference between the DACs. Interestingly, I preferred A+ over Amarra 2.5 with the Vega, but the Weiss to my ears sounded better with the Amarra.
thanks for sharing this... Are you toying with idea of replacing your Weiss with the Vega or you just doing a bit of exploring?

Equipment:

thanks for sharing this... Are you toying with idea of replacing your Weiss with the Vega or you just doing a bit of exploring?

I am planning to use it for a headphone based system. Just thought I would take the opportunity to compare it with a more expensive DAC to see if it could truly punch above its weight. Must say that I am pleasantly surprised as all too often reviewers rave in absolute terms how great a cheaper product performs, but when compared on its own merits to a more expensive piece of equipment it falls short. Never intended to replace my Weiss, but if I had to, I could easily live with the sound of the Vega. In fact, if DSD becomes main stream in the future, I might just do that! The sound of the Vega reminds me of the Krell Cipher traditional CD player as I had a friend lend it to me for a week to do a comparison btw a computer based audio vs a CD player. The Cipher retails for about $12000 and while I can't compare the Vega directly with it, from my re-collection, it had the same liveliness and energy on Redbook CD playback. BTW, I had the Vega clock set to Exact. From my mac, even with 192 kHz files, I had no drop outs at all. Considering this is just a min modified Mac mini, does this mean that there would be no sonic advantage to using a top notch dedicated music server/streamer?

I am planning to use it for a headphone based system. Just thought I would take the opportunity to compare it with a more expensive DAC to see if it could truly punch above its weight. Must say that I am pleasantly surprised as all too often reviewers rave in absolute terms how great a cheaper product performs, but when compared on its own merits to a more expensive piece of equipment it falls short. Never intended to replace my Weiss, but if I had to, I could easily live with the sound of the Vega. In fact, if DSD becomes main stream in the future, I might just do that! The sound of the Vega reminds me of the Krell Cipher traditional CD player as I had a friend lend it to me for a week to do a comparison btw a computer based audio vs a CD player. The Cipher retails for about $12000 and while I can't compare the Vega directly with it, from my re-collection, it had the same liveliness and energy on Redbook CD playback. BTW, I had the Vega clock set to Exact. From my mac, even with 192 kHz files, I had no drop outs at all. Considering this is just a min modified Mac mini, does this mean that there would be no sonic advantage to using a top notch dedicated music server/streamer?

I would think a low jitter cleanly powered dedicated server would still be an audible improvement.

Equipment:

I'd like to know how the two compare with the QB-9?

I can't compare them but I just sprang for a QB9 DSD after hearing the older version.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I have an Auralic Taurus Pre on the way to demo. It also has had excellent reviews so interested to see if I can hear a step up adding a high quality analog pre... Unfortunately, I will have to allow some burn in as well before really getting a good read.

Equipment:

I can't compare them but I just sprang for a QB9 DSD after hearing the older version.
Ayre makes great stuff, you should be very happy!

Equipment:

Hello everybody,

I am new in this thread and was hoping to hear if anybody has heard or had any experience with the NEW Wyred4Sound DAC-2 SE DSD compared with the VEGA, i have heard so many great things about the Vega, but the W4S DAC2 SE has not has any review yet and i am eating my nails trying to decide which of the two ways to go.

I just sold my Calyx DAC 24/192 hoping to upgrade a good step up and these two are my contenders.

Any feedback please?

Miguel

Actually is very interesting, but in the other hand, Vega is also rewarding and the most important thing for me, is how they compare head to head, the only thing for sure is that VEGA is 1,000 usd expensier.

Thanks

Miguel

Actually is very interesting, but in the other hand, Vega is also rewarding and the most important thing for me, is how they compare head to head, the only thing for sure is that VEGA is 1,000 usd expensier.

Thanks

Miguel

I think the other thing for sure is the Vega looks a hell of lot better! :) On sound, I'm sure they are both top notch and comes down to preference.

Equipment:

ejn1: How is the break-in going?
Going well... I have no where near the hours that some recommend... Probably have 100 hours on the DAC and 25-40 on the Pre. Long way from 400-500. But I can say that that DAC is special and detail and tonal balance is fantastic. Very 3-dimensional soundstage and very musical. The decay in the notes are very evident and the bass is much richer than my Leema Elements DAC. The Auralic guy said it well on the volume control, anything about 40-50 is great but the Auralic Pre adds a lot to the equation at low volumes. I could easily live with the Vega as a pre but there is a benefit with a Class A pre but with anything lesser, I would not muddy the signal path. The Vega is that good. Also, I have speakers that are extremely detailed so they are able to show off the resolution of the DAC. Blue Coast Records Sample Album is scary good in DSD64 through my setup.

Equipment:

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. I have around 200 hours now on the DAC and it sounds fantastic. I've had two other DACs, the Leema Elements DAC and the Meridian Explorer. As expected the Vega is a material step up from each of them. The amount of detail is astonishing and the tone of the midrange, acoustic guitar, piano is all fantastic. Vocals are eerily detailed also and balanced without any edginess. Everything is dead silent in the background, no background noise that I can pick up at all. I would also say that the bass is deep and tight with almost a 3D aspect to it which is fun to listen to. Now I have the Paul Hynes SR5 connected to the CAPS along with an addition Acoustic Revive LAN Isolator... The system is the best I have ever heard in my home or elsewhere for that matter (keep in mind I have not had the privilege to listen to ultra high end cost no object stereo setups and Im sure there are many others better than mind just haven't had the privilege to listen to them!). The only thing that I heard come close to the detail, tone, depth of soundstage was with Resonessence Invicta DAC connected to a pair of ProAc 2way monitors on stands (although the lower octave was missing). You really cant go wrong with this DAC for money.

Equipment:

Just set up the Vega last night. I'm wondering what owner's impressions of burn-in are: how long and what changes do you hear in the process? A couple of owner's have suggested something in the neighborhood of 400 hrs. I haven't run across anything specific on what improvements to expect.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Little less forward for me in the tonal balance. Although I must admit, it sounded pretty darn good out of the box. My problem is that I quickly added other items such as new XLR and also the Taurus Pre and LAN isolator so pinpointing cause and effect is not easy...

Equipment:

I don't have a Vega, but do have the ARK from Auralic. When I purchased mine the recommended a lot of burn-in time, similar to the 400 hour mark here. Like the others, the burn-in just seemed to take off some of the edge.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo