IGNORED

Auralic Vega: my review

True and $3500 without tax, shipping, or duties from a new, overseas company without a local network does kind of concern me when there are other very interesting DSD products such as the Chord, Teac, and Mytek for significantly less.

I will say, however, that the pre-amp functionality with DSD and DXD is very interesting. And it looks quite nice as well.

I'd think Auralic would be concerned that the product interest will peak when there's no real dealer network.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

True and $3500 without tax, shipping, or duties from a new, overseas company without a local network does kind of concern me when there are other very interesting DSD products such as the Chord, Teac, and Mytek for significantly less.

I will say, however, that the pre-amp functionality with DSD and DXD is very interesting. And it looks quite nice as well.

its a personal choice but I would not say the dacs in your list are comps to the vega, nor probably should they given they are all around half the cost... The Ayre qb9 dsd is around the same price as the vega with great dealer support so a good option but no pre... I was also under the impression 3500 was a us price so didn't think duties were applicable??

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

The Qute is most definitely comparable and may even top it on RBCD. The proviso is that the $1800 Qute will need another $350 to $500 invested in a quality linear power supply to have it sing.

The FPGA implementation with 10K tap length and pulse array Dac does wonders with redbook, especially thru the BNC input!

Not sure which would be better on Hirez PCM and the Qute is not yet the best on DSD, as most perfer the Mytek on DSD.

The Qute is most definitely comparable and may even top it on RBCD. The proviso is that the $1800 Qute will need another $350 to $500 invested in a quality linear power supply to have it sing.

The FPGA implementation with 10K tap length and pulse array Dac does wonders with redbook, especially thru the BNC input!

Not sure which would be better on Hirez PCM and the Qute is not yet the best on DSD, as most perfer the Mytek on DSD.

After I typed that, i knew would get a response on the Qute... :) Definately worth listening to for sure but not a comp on feature set and options imo. Just everything I read has people comparing the Vega up with other DACs well above its price range versus the opposite. There are a lot of good options out there for sure but i listened to the Qute (with no upgraded ps) and preferred to keep my Leema Elements DAC which I found more musical and less analytical but its personal preference for sure...

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

After I typed that, i knew would get a response on the Qute... :) Definately worth listening to for sure but not a comp on feature set and options imo. Just everything I read has people comparing the Vega up with other DACs well above its price range versus the opposite. There are a lot of good options out there for sure but i listened to the Qute (with no upgraded ps) and preferred to keep my Leema Elements DAC which I found more musical and less analytical but its personal preference for sure...

Ejn1,

If you mean in terms of feature set, yes, you are correct. In terms of tech, probably the Qute shades the vega with the propietary tap length for extraordinary transient response, though the Vega has a wonderful clock feature 9though i am not that big on clock and jiter as the biggest barriers to digital sonics).

When you change out SMPS to a quality linear PSU, there is the expected jump in quality and change in characteristics of the Dac. this can be anticipated as digital signal is really an analog sqaure electrical wave that needs a great PSU to keep it accurate with great fidelity. The low noise LPSU will also not pollute the electicity with RFI/EMI compromising the rest of the audio chain.

in summary, you really have not heard the real potential of the Qute without a quality LPSU which will run you about $500 delivered. te bass is outstanding and Redbook sounds like Hirez. That said, The Gen 4 Level 4 Lampi is STILL better on PCM.

I have not heard the Vega, but i am sure its a very good dac from what i heard. i have a UK pal who had one for a week and then he demoed the lampi...and sent the Vega packing...

Ejn1,

If you mean in terms of feature set, yes, you are correct. In terms of tech, probably the Qute shades the vega with the propietary tap length for extraordinary transient response, though the Vega has a wonderful clock feature 9though i am not that big on clock and jiter as the biggest barriers to digital sonics).

When you change out SMPS to a quality linear PSU, there is the expected jump in quality and change in characteristics of the Dac. this can be anticipated as digital signal is really an analog sqaure electrical wave that needs a great PSU to keep it accurate with great fidelity. The low noise LPSU will also not pollute the electicity with RFI/EMI compromising the rest of the audio chain.

in summary, you really have not heard the real potential of the Qute without a quality LPSU which will run you about $500 delivered. te bass is outstanding and Redbook sounds like Hirez. That said, The Gen 4 Level 4 Lampi is STILL better on PCM.

I have not heard the Vega, but i am sure its a very good dac from what i heard. i have a UK pal who had one for a week and then he demoed the lampi...and sent the Vega packing...

Chord makes great stuff for sure and with cutting edge technology. I get the Vega tomorrow but someone on Audiocircle told me it took his 400-500hrs for full break in so it may take a while for the unit to fully settle in. I will report back with my thoughts after it settles in but I'm not near as articulate on describing sound as others in the forum... but will certainly share my impressions.

Equipment:

The Ayre qb9 dsd is around the same price as the vega with great dealer support so a good option but no pre... I was also under the impression 3500 was a us price so didn't think duties were applicable??

Nope, if they ship it from overseas and declare what it is and it's value, then customs can definitely charge you duties. This is was also indicated when I emailed them an inquiry.

Ayre QB-9 is another good option at this price point and for slightly more I'd also be considering the Berkeley Alpha, but it doesn't do DSD.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Nope, if they ship it from overseas and declare what it is and it's value, then customs can definitely charge you duties. This is was also indicated when I emailed them an inquiry.

Ayre QB-9 is another good option at this price point and for slightly more I'd also be considering the Berkeley Alpha, but it doesn't do DSD.

I thought there was someone who recommended a US dealer in this thread or another? maybe it was southcoastaudio.co or something like that.

Equipment:

Remind me what your budget was again?

Wisnon,

I can go up to around 4K. I want this to be my last DAC. But I am a cheap SOB. Would much rather spend the money on downloads.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I thought there was someone who recommended a US dealer in this thread or another? maybe it was southcoastaudio.co or something like that.

HOME PAGE for Third Coast Audio.

I always find it difficult to understand when members comment in what strikes me as a critical or comparative way about a dac they have not heard. It strikes me as erring on the side of abstraction.I have not heard the Vega, so I'm careful to limit my comments to my interpretations of reviews. I guess you can criticize based on specs or things like product support and warranty, as well as cosmetics. But isn't sound quality foremost unless there are other glaring issues? Clearly this dac has been very well received by every professional reviewer that I have read. I guess I understand that if a person is undecided or ambivalent about a dac, recommending another dac in a similar range for audition can be very helpful, esp. if the recommender has spent some serious time with that dac. Nothing wrong with a healthy skepticism about a product that hasn't been well vetted, but at times I have a sense that an appropriate neutrality is missing, espcially if you haven't audtioned the dac. And even then, systems and ears are so different. Can we give the Vega a little more space for full examination on its own merits and its own terms It would be much appreciated here. I apologize in advance if anyone is offended. Just trying to articulate a frustration that arises for me on this forum sometimes about what I feel is a genuine and legitimate concern.

Thanks,

Christopher

Just hooked up the Vega in my system and my normal listening range is around 40-60 on the Vega control (connected via XLR). Impressive sound but I need to let it break in further. Build quality is fantastic.

Equipment:

I have also just acquired the Auralic Vega. Out of curiosity, I made a quick comparision to my present DAC which is a Weiss Medea+. The Vega has not been run in. The Vega is a lot louder than the Weiss, which requires adjustment in the vol of my pre-amp. (I have set both DACs at max volume). The Weiss has significantly better soundstage depth but is actually less wide. Bass may be deeper with the Vega. The sense of space around voices and instruments are better with the Weiss. Will post again once I have the Vega run in properly.

I have also just acquired the Auralic Vega. Out of curiosity, I made a quick comparision to my present DAC which is a Weiss Medea+. The Vega has not been run in. The Vega is a lot louder than the Weiss, which requires adjustment in the vol of my pre-amp. (I have set both DACs at max volume). The Weiss has significantly better soundstage depth but is actually less wide. Bass may be deeper with the Vega. The sense of space around voices and instruments are better with the Weiss. Will post again once I have the Vega run in properly.
A guy on Audiocircle emailed me warning to expect 400-500hrs of burn in on the Vega... My dealer said the same... I'm patiently putting it through the burn in paces. I downloaded the Blue Coast Records DSD sampler album and have never heard anything like that in my system to date... Pretty impressive.

Equipment:

Quick question on DSD which is new to me. The downloads I currently have are "DFF" files. When I play through the Auralic, the front panel display reads 352.8Khz, and not DSD64 or DSD128... Is this normal or could Jriver not be outputting in the correct format?

Note: I figured it out... You have to go into Jriver and select DSD over DoP in the Options>Bitstream>Custom Settings... Now it displays as DSD64 on the Auralic. Before it was converting to 352.8 PCM which also sounded damn good.

Equipment:

The Vega has a very deep soundstage. The Vega does take a long time to burn in. Also, after being on for an hour your Vega will allow the setting to "exact" in the clock settings, which is the best clock setting, with a big difference on sound. Just understand that in "exact" setting, there will be an occasional sync issue during changing of resolutions that can be annoying at times but is quickly remedied by restarting the track or changing back and forth between two dissimilar resolutions.

The coarse setting is the most laid back setting of the choices on this Dac

Is that more meaningful

I never said the the Dac was laid back

My mistake I thought you were saying the DAC was laid back and misinterpreted "cause settings most laid back". I didn't realize you were referring to "coarse" settings.

No problem

Does it take an hour for each change in clock settings or is that just for the first hour

This thing is sounding very good took a week to come around

Will be hard to send back, but I am going to demo something else before deciding

Fridays

No problem

Does it take an hour for each change in clock settings or is that just for the first hour

This thing is sounding very good took a week to come around

Will be hard to send back, but I am going to demo something else before deciding

Assuming the unit is broken in each setting should sound its best after the unit has been on at least an hour. You don't need an hour per setting. I never even put the unit to "sleep".