IGNORED

Looking for a DSD sound card

On 1/10/2019 at 1:06 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting. designed by Audio Note.

145603hut2k64ftht2k6tf.thumb.jpg.0fb79ce3e988c5276a107119713e1f68.jpg

145557flyxvltyksq7d06z.jpg

145554rcqnkkmzfq00uynk.jpg

Here are the inside photos.  The price is around USD250.

However, I doubt whether Audio Note has played an active role in designing this sound card apart from some of the parts are produced by Audio Note.  My knowledge did not recall Audio Note good at digital product.

MetalNuts

23 minutes ago, lucretius said:

It's essentially a gamer's card.

Because of its RGB lighting ?

haha

But seriously, why ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Well, I would actually agree with you, by looking at the "targetted" specs. So personally I see no "audio" in there (but this is merely a hunch than fact or something). Btw, DSD should not be much related to gaming. :P 

11 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I'd argue that enthusiasts and pro-sumers have moved beyond internal sound cards, which cannot avoid the noise pollution from within the computer case.

I probably would be moving back, if something up to the task would exist. But I know of nothing. This is always related to under the hood design flaws like in this case it really uses USB again. There is much more which can fail.

Not that I don't like our own DAC, but I know what can be improved upon, and that won't happen at the end of a USB cable. All what that causes is making USB cables. B| 

Maybe it is time for (heavy) tweaking.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

From the quoted review:  EVGA's NU Audio is an enthusiast-class, pro-sumer audio device through and through.

I have to disagree with this.  It's essentially a gamer's card.

If it ditched the RGB light show altogether and added a mini XLR analog in and mini XLR  digital out I would buy one.

Noise is then differential.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, lucretius said:

With the availability of cheap DACs, I'd argue that enthusiasts and pro-sumers have moved beyond internal sound cards, which cannot avoid the noise pollution from within the computer case.

Well, it is not bad at all when the card is properly designed and shielded:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements

I've seen noisier external DACs.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

Well, it is not bad at all when the card is properly designed and shielded:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements

I've seen noisier external DACs.

In the article, JA notes "it's possible that the actual [signal/noise] ratio will depend on the computer in which the card is installed" and "the advantage of the Shuttle PCs [where the STX card was installed] is that they are dead quiet acoustically." Also, note that the Shuttle PCs came with low wattage power supplies, e.g. 250W. I wonder what would happen if JA retested the line outs with the STX card installed in one of today's typical towers with a 1000W power supply?

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, lucretius said:

In the article, JA notes "it's possible that the actual [signal/noise] ratio will depend on the computer in which the card is installed" and "the advantage of the Shuttle PCs [where the STX card was installed] is that they are dead quiet acoustically." Also, note that the Shuttle PCs came with low wattage power supplies, e.g. 250W. I wonder what would happen if JA retested the line outs with the STX card installed in one of today's typical towers with a 1000W power supply?

Acoustically quiet, but didn't say anything about electrical noise.

Probably it would perform better with modern powerful low-ripple PSUs. And it is not so much trouble to filter and regulate power from the PC's PSU. At least the PC PSU's are no worse than lot of SMPS used in/with external DACs. Probably better.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers