IGNORED

iTunes playlist formatting

Is there a way to apply formatting globally in iTunes (Mac)?

I have many playlists and I want them all to have the same page layout. So far I don't see how to accomplish this without opening each one and manually changing it. Also want each new one to have the same layout as well.

In the end, I want one layout for Classical, and a different one for pop/country/jazz. Seems simple, but what's the trick?

I believe the only way to format iTunes playlists globally is through the use of a script. Let’s say you have 50 or 100 playlists and you want them all to have columns for bit rate, sample rate and file size, but you didn’t set up each playlist that way initially? It can be time consuming to format each playlist.

Below is a link to a script called Assimilate View Options v2.1 that may help. In full disclosure, I have not tried this script yet (it was recommended), so it’s a blind lead.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts06.php?page=1#assimilateviewoptions

Install: Put AppleScripts in your iTunes Scripts folder. This is located in [your computer]>Library>iTunes. If there is no folder named Scripts there, create one and put the script in it. AppleScripts should then appear in iTunes' Script menu, and can be activated by selecting the name and clicking.

Hope this helps. Would also be interested to know if there is a non-script approach out there.

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

I felt uneasy about recommending an untested approach for you, so I downloaded and ran Assimilate View Options v2.1 today. It works as advertized.

Here are the steps that I recommend for best results:

* Open iTunes and click Music under Library (in the main left menu)

* Spend some time adding and formatting the columns you find most useful (all Playlists will look identical to your main music library after running the script – column width and order will be precisely preserved)

* Download the script

* Unzip the download (do not open and run yet)

* Create a folder in your iTunes Library called Scripts (I did this and it will be a convenient and intuitive place for future scripts now that I know they work)

* Drag the file into you newly created Scripts folder in iTunes

* Click on the script to open (the Script Editor will appear – Record, Stop, Run and Compile are in the main upper header – do nothing and do not click Run yet)

* Go back to iTunes and scroll down to your Playlists

* Click on one Playlist (only one – do not highlight all)

* After opening a Playlist, go back to the Script Editor that opened when you initially launched the script

* Click Run in the upper menu (do not use Record or Compile for reformatting)

Observations and Notes:

The entire process is fast and easy. I was able to download the script and reformat all my playlists (about 50) in 20 minutes. Since you have to reformat each playlist individually (with basically two clicks of the mouse), this is not a one-click global reformatting solution. However, having to change each playlist individually has an advantage.

When you run this script, each playlist is copied, deleted and then replaced with an identical playlist that has the same formatting as your main music library. This process essentially checks the location of each song in your playlist (it has to in order to repopulate the playlist). I encountered an error when running the script in two playlists. It seems that after moving my library a number of times, I lost a file (it simply disappeared). So this is my lesson to always consolidate my music library (assuming you do not have more than one).

If you run the script and encounter a lost file, the script will stop running. You have the opportunity to locate the song – in my case, I was unable to. Fortunately, if you hit this snag, your old playlist will remain (it’s only deleted if the script completes and a new playlist replaces the old).

One last note. After running the script, each playlist will have the exact same settings as your main music library with the exception of view settings. For some reason, the default script view is List – you will have to select Grid or Cover Flow after running the script if this is your preference. My main library has a Cover Flow view setting and every playlist was formatted to List view.

Hope this quick review helps. Cheers.

p.s. for what it’s worth, here are the formatting options I selected:

Name, Time, Artist, Album, Disc#, Track#, Genre, Rating, Play Count, Date Added, Date Modified, Year, Bit Rate, Kind, Size and Sample Rate.

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Christopher,

Thanks for your hard work. This looks like a very useful script.

I have since posting the question gone ahead and manually set all my playlists as desired. I'm sure there are others who will find this a good solution. Too bad iTunes doesn't have the capability. Seems pretty basic to me. Maybe future versions will.