IGNORED

Windows 8 Audio Optimization Script

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for sharing your awesome script. I´m running Hyper-V on the machine to run a small separated download machine. Is there a way to get the script to work with Hyper-V?

Best regards,

L

Hi,

Glad you like it! Sorry, I have not done any work or testing with Hyper-V.

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

• 1 month later...

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for all your hard work on this project! Just an FYI on my experience.

I have a carbon caps server running windows 8.1. I have tried the cad version 2.5 and 2.6. In both instances all networking (both LAN and wifi) functionality is lost. I can play music through jrivd without problem, just unable to access the network. I also observed that many of the disable commands are followed by an error, that service is not available. Wonder if things have changed from windows 8 to 8.1? Thank you.

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for all your hard work on this project! Just an FYI on my experience.

I have a carbon caps server running windows 8.1. I have tried the cad version 2.5 and 2.6. In both instances all networking (both LAN and wifi) functionality is lost. I can play music through jrivd without problem, just unable to access the network. I also observed that many of the disable commands are followed by an error, that service is not available. Wonder if things have changed from windows 8 to 8.1? Thank you.

Hi,

I have not yet tested 8.1.

How did you answer the following question in the script: Do you want to turn off all Network access?

If you answer "Y" this stops communication between your carbon caps and other computers on your network.

If you answer "Y" you will not be able to see your carbon caps from other computers on your network nor will you be able to copy files to it over your network from another computer.

If you answer "Y" you will still be able to use JRemote to control JRiver on your carbon caps. An Ethernet connected WIFI router will still function.

If you answer "Y" you will be able to use the Internet on your carbon caps.

So answering yes is a bit limiting, but I find it brings a good improvement in sound quality. You have decide if it is worth it or not.

Your wifi should not be turned off unless you answered yes to the following question: Do you want to disable WiFi? Are you saying your wifi does not work even though you answered no?

Best Regards,

Scott

Hi,

I have not yet tested 8.1.

How did you answer the following question in the script: Do you want to turn off all Network access?

If you answer "Y" this stops communication between your carbon caps and other computers on your network.

If you answer "Y" you will not be able to see your carbon caps from other computers on your network nor will you be able to copy files to it over your network from another computer.

If you answer "Y" you will still be able to use JRemote to control JRiver on your carbon caps. An Ethernet connected WIFI router will still function.

If you answer "Y" you will be able to use the Internet on your carbon caps.

So answering yes is a bit limiting, but I find it brings a good improvement in sound quality. You have decide if it is worth it or not.

Your wifi should not be turned off unless you answered yes to the following question: Do you want to disable WiFi? Are you saying your wifi does not work even though you answered no?

Best Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

That is correct, in V2.5 in spite of saying no to disabling wifi and no to disabling all network access I was unable to use both LAN and wifi. I tried using the revert to full windows features script then retried it a few times with the same result. Good news though, I was able to get v2.6a working just fine so its all good.

Thank you,

Dan M

• 2 months later...
Hello jesuscheung,

I spent sojme time today trying your suggestions and I agree with you! Leaving the application comaptibility engine enabled and leaving MMCSS enabled does sound better! It has been a loooong time since I did listening tests on these two. I appreciate your input, thank you. It appears you have also spent some time in this area so let us all know any of your ideas.

As far as the IRQ8 priority I have had issues with timers in general depending on the computer being used. On all of our computers setting IRQ8 priority to 1 does help the SQ, but that does not mean it will for all computers so I suggest people to try it with and without.

Scott

What is irq8? And is it the same on all computers?

I currently have my soundcard irq priority set to 1.

What is irq8? And is it the same on all computers?

I currently have my soundcard irq priority set to 1.

IRQ 8 is the Real Time Clock. Yes, it is the same on all Windows computers.

Scott

Just tested the script...me likey!! thanx!

Everything i need to function, functions. A couple of things however....

Not sure if it was desktop services or shell killer, but I lost function of my bluetooth DiNovo keyboard/mouse media buttons (volume, mute, skip, etc). Id very much like to keep this enabled...

Also, once the shell is killed, only power button functions. I however have my power button set to "sleep", so I had to reset my PC to restart it.

Maybe somewhere you can add in the script to change power button function automatically to "shutdown". If not, no big deal...Ill just change it myself :)

Just tested the script...me likey!! thanx!

Everything i need to function, functions. A couple of things however....

Not sure if it was desktop services or shell killer, but I lost function of my bluetooth DiNovo keyboard/mouse media buttons (volume, mute, skip, etc). Id very much like to keep this enabled...

Also, once the shell is killed, only power button functions. I however have my power button set to "sleep", so I had to reset my PC to restart it.

Maybe somewhere you can add in the script to change power button function automatically to "shutdown". If not, no big deal...Ill just change it myself :)

Great! If you run the script and also use the Desktop Servcies Killer and the Shell Killer there isn't much left running on the machine! The screen will be black and the only thing you can do is press the power button to recycle the computer. But JRiver/JPLAY will work fine. If you have an Ethernet connected wifi router then JRemote on an iPad will also work.

Bluetooth services are all killed. Somwhere I posted the lines in the script to delete if you need bluetooth. It may have been on the JPLAY forum. You can easily go in and change the power button function.

Scott

[h=4][/h]

The bluetooth service still runs and functions fine actually. this is running bluesoile drivers btw...and the OS is 2012 R2. Its just the media keys function that goes missing. Pretty sure its desktop services related...can maybe find and nullify that part in the script.

When I restart, there is something that comes up about .NET framework...?

.NET is disabled? My Griffin Powermate software uses/and starts with Windows...probably related.

• 2 weeks later...

If i put echo in front of these settings...

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /NoRestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx4Extended-ASPNET45 /NoRestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx4-AdvSrvs /NoRestart

Wil .NET stay enabled?

what is Start /D "c:/windows/system32" MC18.exe /mediaserver

cd /

Is that JRiver? I got an error about this when run...

Im running JRiver 19

Yes, change MC18.exe to MC19.exe if using Jriver 19

If i put echo in front of these settings...

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /NoRestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx4Extended-ASPNET45 /NoRestart

Dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx4-AdvSrvs /NoRestart

Wil .NET stay enabled?

Yes, I think so. Try and see if that works.

Yes, I think so. Try and see if that works.

yup, that worked...

however, i noticed that defrag/optimize drives wont run now...? not sure what requirements/services it needslll

not a bit deal...maybe i can install a 3rd party program for that.

Drive optimization service disabled, but it also requires task manager service running...

not really worthwhile enabling those...

testing Solid State Dr.

Im noticing issues with wifi/browser...

wifi stays connected, but i often get "page not found" in google chrome...

refreshing a few times usually fixes it. baffled at what might be causing this...

this is with manual ip config.

as best as i can tell, this is a http/dns issue....other protocols seem unaffected.

it would seem every ssd trim utillity ive tried requires these services...however i cant re-enable task scheduler as it is totally greyed out in the services window.

is there a command line to enable it?

i dont see where it is disabled in the script...

my concern being, my ssd is not responding to the TRIM command, and so isnt running as good as it can be.

• 2 weeks later...

...and trying to re=enable the service, I get an RPC service error, even though RPC is running.

Using the script to revert back to original state causes my Bluesoleil BT device to stop working, and it cant be reinstalled (error).

Im at an impasse...

...and trying to re=enable the service, I get an RPC service error, even though RPC is running.

Using the script to revert back to original state causes my Bluesoleil BT device to stop working, and it cant be reinstalled (error).

Im at an impasse...

Hi WuNgUn,

We have been a bit busy here, sorry. So you can not install the Bluesoleil BT driver? That is a Bluetooth software & driver that I know nothing about... Make sure that your Bluetooth is enabled and turned on. Check out Device Manager.

The script does shut off Bluetooth, but the script to revert back to orginal state enables bluetooth.

Scott

thanks for the reply scott...

Bluesoleil works AFTER running optimization script...no issues.

When I revert back to normal script, Bluesoleil stops working. Its still loads, but will not turn on.

Uninstalling/reinstalling it gives an error and it wont reinstall. Dead in the water...

Trying to enable certain services after optimization (hid service for my media keys for example) gives me rpc server unavailable error, and I cant figure out why. rpc service is runningl

Right now, I just need hid service enabled so i can control volume/track/play buttons on my dinovo BT keyboard mouse (as if it were a remote control)

Any ideas?

I dont see where HID service is disabled in script...and dont see where BT is turned on in the revert script.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the reply scott...

Bluesoleil works AFTER running optimization script...no issues.

When I revert back to normal script, Bluesoleil stops working. Its still loads, but will not turn on.

Uninstalling/reinstalling it gives an error and it wont reinstall. Dead in the water...

Trying to enable certain services after optimization (hid service for my media keys for example) gives me rpc server unavailable error, and I cant figure out why. rpc service is runningl

Right now, I just need hid service enabled so i can control volume/track/play buttons on my dinovo BT keyboard mouse (as if it were a remote control)

Any ideas?

I dont see where HID service is disabled in script...and dont see where BT is turned on in the revert script.

Hi WuNgUn,

The HID services that the script disables are the following lines:

sc config bthhfhid start= disabled

sc config HidBatt start= disabled

sc config HidBth start= disabled

sc config HidIr start= disabled

sc config hidserv start= disabled

sc config mshidkmdf start= disabled

The script shuts down these services which I think are all Bluetooth:

sc config BthAvrcpTg start= disabled

sc config BthHFEnum start= disabled

sc config bthhfhid start= disabled

sc config BTHMODEM start= disabled

sc config bthserv start= disabled

These commands in the reset script turn them back on:

sc config BthAvrcpTg start= demand

sc config BthHFEnum start= demand

sc config bthhfhid start= demand

sc config BTHMODEM start= demand

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\bthserv" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

It's hard for me to figure out what is causing the issues you are having.

Best Regards,

Scott