IGNORED

Preferred Iphone to Preamp device

I get the impedence and voltage issues involved in connecting an Iphone to a preamp. I am trying to set up a stereo for my girlfrend that I can also tolerate. She wants to be able to play music from her Iphone. I have come across some devices that will connect an Iphone to a preamp. Do any stand out as better than the rest?

I recently ran my iPhone5 straight into a McIntosh MC452 with a $900 interconnect and a $2 mini-adapter. The results with ALAC files... didn't sound bad...but, the bass was mushy and not well-defined.

Pretty much you can use any cable with one of these:

Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 40645 3.5mm Stereo Male To 2X RCA Female Adapter: Electronics

Amazon.com: Audioquest - 3.5mm Mini-Plug-to-2-RCA Adapter (Hard): Electronics

As far as a dedicated cable goes this is the one I recommend...it's quad-braided for shielding, uses an excellent conductor and is insulated with teflon using and very high quality connectors. Handmade in the US.

GQ Mini Cu

gqmini.cu.straight.png

Today's portable audio formats have definitely found their way into the world of traditional hi-fi. To facilitate the connection of an iPod®, MP3 player, satellite radio or even a computer to your home stereo system Kimber Kable developed the GQ Mini series of multi-purpose cables. The GQ Mini uses the advanced OGQ/2™ geometry (4-wire) braid which keeps the grunge (not the rock and roll type) away and the music powerful. Just connect the 1/8" (3.5mm) mini plug to your portable device (or computer) and the end with the stereo RCA connectors to your home stereo system.The GQ Mini cable has the additional option of a mini plug on one end and another on the opposite.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I bought a couple of these for the exact same reason: i20

The beauty of these little docks is that that take the raw signal from the iPhone (iPod, etc.) and feed them out through either RCA or Toslink. Although these docks are far from "audiophile" quality, the sound is much, much, better than anything that goes through Apples internal circuitry and out the earphone jack.

Did you know that even though iDevices can't play WAV files, you can put them on your device and this dock will output them?

It doesn't look like they've updated to the new iPod/iPhone connector yet?

I bought a couple of these for the exact same reason: i20

The beauty of these little docks is that that take the raw signal from the iPhone (iPod, etc.) and feed them out through either RCA or Toslink. Although these docks are far from "audiophile" quality, the sound is much, much, better than anything that goes through Apples internal circuitry and out the earphone jack.

Did you know that even though iDevices can't play WAV files, you can put them on your device and this dock will output them?

Thanks for the feedback. I had heard that connecting directly generates major sonic losses due to impedence and voltage disjunctures (partially confirmed by Junker). The I20 looks more like what I had in mind, but it appears to be UK, not optimal for a yank.

FWIW, I just talked to Pierre Sprey who owns Mapleshade records and whose ears I trust. He said with high quality cables you can indeed hook the Iphone directly to the amp. He says that will sound better than a cheap dock and that the claims of impedence and voltage problems are b***s***. He says the interconnect he makes for this costs around $120. Info at mapleshaderecords.com.

Thanks for the feedback. I had heard that connecting directly generates major sonic losses due to impedence and voltage disjunctures (partially confirmed by Junker). The I20 looks more like what I had in mind, but it appears to be UK, not optimal for a yank.

It is available at Amazon.

diver,

If you are getting into a 3.5 to RCA interconnect similar to what junker recommended above, also consider getting a line-out dock. There are lots available, in any number of price classes and varieties. One example at ALO Audio. Line out docks, from what I have learned, bypass the headphone amplifier portion (and volume control) of the iPhone, delivering a fixed line-level signal to your preamp, which serves as the volume control. I use a cheap one from Amazon plus a 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect to my car's stereo system as well.

If you have the iPhone5 though, I'm not sure if there's a line-out dock available yet for it? If there isn't one, you can still use one of these line out docks but I think you would need a Lighting-to-30pin adapter to facilitate that connection.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

I can confirm that direct out of the headphone jack actually sounds pretty good for what it is. Just don't expect super-tight bass. The amp is probably just limited for power savings and the impedance probably isn't super low. Other than that you might be surprised.... ;) Definitely worth trying a cheap adapter IMO, and stepping up to a dedicated cable if it works for you.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

You can use a 1/8"-to-RCA adapter cable and run the headphone out directly into a line level input, but I don't think the sound is in the same league with even a simple DAC of good quality. A DAC better than the one in the iPhone is not expensive and well worth the cost. I use a NuForce iDo (list $149) because I need the headphone amp (it's on my bedside table). You can get a DAC without the amp for even less - the Fii0 is about $100 with the iPhone connector cable. With FLACs, the difference is quite audible and worth the money. Even with MP3s, I hear a significant improvement.

When I had a GQ Cu for an AQ DragonFly it worked great, but I had bought it a 1.5m length thinking of it as a typical interconnect when it was really more of a "dock" and ended up being quite a bit longer than what I needed. What kind of length would you say you would need for your application? 0.5m (~1.6')? 0.3m(~1')?

I bought one of those I20 docks from Adorama Camera in NYC, one of the only retailers in the NYC area to carry it. The concept was great, but when I used it to connect my iPod Touch to my stereo, I got all kinds of weird clicks and pops on playback. it made my ALAC files sound like scratched-up LP records. Maybe this is what you are referring to. I got rid of the thing forthwith.

Okay guys don't laugh at me, but I wanted to show you that I am currently using a mini adapter from a MacMini SSD straight into an amp until I can get a DAC sorted out. It honestly sounds pretty good and can play up to 24/96 with Audirvana. Tighter bass than straight out of the iPhone5 that I compared this too - was testing lossless files out of my phone to see what it was capable of.

;)

miniKimber.JPG

I'm in the US and they work just fine.

Mine is called Apple Airport Express ;-) Don't use it for critical listening though, as the DAC is really just so so.

Good point... It's still another output. The optical sucks on the newer versions still? It's only up to 16/44.1?

Good point... It's still another output. The optical sucks on the newer versions still? It's only up to 16/44.1?

For a measly $100 bucks it is a great little device. Not sure what folks expect for that kind if cash. It can sound fine for cd quality output with it's mini out to RCA and you can AirPlay anything from your phone to it.

David

With your Analog DAC's reclocking enabled, I doubt that the optical output of the Apple thingies (Express, TV, ...) is a problem..

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

With your Analog DAC's reclocking enabled, I doubt that the optical output of the Apple thingies (Express, TV, ...) is a problem..

I'm not currently playing anything out of an iPhone, or an Airport Express. This is what I have while deciding on an: MSB AnalogDac, Berkeley Alpha2 + USB, or a McIntosh C2500 + Berkeley USB...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/preferred-iphone-preamp-device-16325/#post231628

Cool device. I have one of the old versions packed away somewhere. About the optical out, the reason I bring that up is that the conventional wisdom is that optical has the highest jitter, but the newest MacMini is rumored to have quite respectable jitter performance now. Always wondered if that carried over to the Airport Express... Anyone, have the means to measure??

I have and like the Pure i20 (which is very cheap by hifi standards). It embarks a Cirrus logic DAC chip that sounds all right if you want to connect analog to your pre-amp and also offers coaxial and optical SPDIF outputs if you have an outside DAC to connect to.

I have and like the Pure i20 (which is very cheap by hifi standards). It embarks a Cirrus logic DAC chip that sounds all right if you want to connect analog to your pre-amp and also offers coaxial and optical SPDIF outputs if you have an outside DAC to connect to.

Boris, I wonder if you might be able to answer the following question, given you own this?

I'm thinking I'd like one of these for my shop, to stream Pandora (or the like) or access my music hard drive (which lives in the house) wirelessly.

I'm doing the above now through my iphone4 with headphone jack out to RCAs on back of receiver. All this gear is in the bathroom so I don't shower it with sawdust. I kinda stumbled onto a "feature" I wasn't expecting, but really like. If my Bluetooth earpiece is on and I get a call, it rings over the speakers and interrupts music until I hang up, then resumes...pretty cool 'cuz I can answer from anywhere in the shop as long as I'm in Bluetooth range.

Here's my question: the above works 'cuz phone sees output to receiver as headphones. If I hook up to digital stream out of charging plug will the "feature" still work? I guess it depends on if the digital feed is suspended same as analog output to headphones. Anybody know?

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

Boris, I wonder if you might be able to answer the following question, given you own this?

I'm thinking I'd like one of these for my shop, to stream Pandora (or the like) or access my music hard drive (which lives in the house) wirelessly.

I'm doing the above now through my iphone4 with headphone jack out to RCAs on back of receiver. All this gear is in the bathroom so I don't shower it with sawdust. I kinda stumbled onto a "feature" I wasn't expecting, but really like. If my Bluetooth earpiece is on and I get a call, it rings over the speakers and interrupts music until I hang up, then resumes...pretty cool 'cuz I can answer from anywhere in the shop as long as I'm in Bluetooth range.

Here's my question: the above works 'cuz phone sees output to receiver as headphones. If I hook up to digital stream out of charging plug will the "feature" still work? I guess it depends on if the digital feed is suspended same as analog output to headphones. Anybody know?

Interesting question. I don't know because, when I used my iPhone with the dock, I put it on airplane mode because I want no interruption from calls. I'll try to find the time to try what you suggest this evening and get back to you.

Interesting question. I don't know because, when I used my iPhone with the dock, I put it on airplane mode because I want no interruption from calls. I'll try to find the time to try what you suggest this evening and get back to you.

Boris, I'd sure appreciate it. I asked the same question of Pure and have gotten no response. I'd rather not buy one just to find out. Peter

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room