IGNORED

Mac Mini at 96 kHz

Hi dsbourque. Are you coming out of the mini via USB, Firewire, or optical?

It appears that optical is supposed to support these higher sample rates, but perhaps doesn't. What DAC are you using; are you sure it supports 96 kHz?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I had this same problem on a macbook with a Toslink cable with a mini adaptor attached on one end of the cable. My theory in my case, is the adapter does not work well, but have not had a chance to test alternatives. I assume you are using the Mini's mini optical out to an optical input on your DAC? With my setup it was stable if I switched down to 24/48, but had slight interrupts at 24/96. My DAC works fine at 24/96 with other inputs. What DAC are you using?

Indeed using the optical with a Bryston BDA-1. Haven't tried the USB yet..understood that this wasn't a viable option at higher resolutions. At any rate, this really sucks. While the Mini option is yielding 24 bits it's really frustrating to not at least get the full sample rate.

I am still using an adapter - soon to be replaced - but for me what solved the problem was following the advice on Wavelength Audio's website http://www.usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html

referring to the Apple Midi settings to set to 24 / 96

"Do not change these settings while iTunes is running or the output will be resampled to the new setting which is bad (because it is being effected twice, not ounce). "

>>>Good info on that Macintosh page at Wavelength and I am sure I've read here at CA too.

I was changing the Midi settings on my MacBook with Itunes open. I am not 100% sure if that was the problem, but everything is stable and sounds fantastic with 24 / 96 once I made the change to only change the MIDI with Itunes closed.

Ah yes, the way you have to start and stop iTunes to change sample rate is quite a nuisance. It's a nice player in many ways, but clearly the perfect player would adjust from track to track. That's what I want.

Of course I like to have that for free! :-)

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. My first posting. I purchased a new Mac Mini and have been unable to get it to accept 24/96 input through the optical input although it clearly recognizes the signal. It quickly defaults back to 44.1. I believe the problem several of us are having with the new mini's that others with models even just a few months older are not lies in a change to the nvidia mother/logic board. The "Intel High Def. Audio" chipset now has a device number,0x10DECB79, which is likely an nvidia chipset . MY 2007 MacBook Pro has a clearly identifiable true Intel chipset with device number 0x83847680 traceable on the intel chipset website. The macbook works flawlessly. Applecare could neither confirm or deny that this was a hardware/driver issue. I would recommend caution with purchasing a mac mini for transfer of 24/96 audio files until more is known about this apparent issue.

Nicholoas, when you say,

have been unable to get it to accept 24/96 input through the optical input although it clearly recognizes the signal. It quickly defaults back to 44.1.

are you recording from an analog device via an A/D converter? It sounds like you're having trouble with the input of a digital signal into your Mac. Is that right?

I am doing vinyl transfer from my analog pre through a benchmark adc1 via optical toslink. the settings are correct at 24/96. I have my macbook pro along side and it locks into the signal without an issue, everytime. I use my macbook for other things and it was my intention to use the mini solely for this purpose.

I am using the pure vinyl recorder on both machines.

I've finally got my MacMini streaming 24/96 streams to my Altmann DAC via Toslink, it seemed that I did the same things as I did all the times that it didn't work except that now it is! I'm still having trouble streaming 24/96 from my MBP to my DACMagic2 on my second system - it only is seeing 16 bit. I'm connecting to this with USB, is this a USB driver limitation? If so, are there any 3rd party drivers that will allow me to stream high bitrate through USB?

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

"Haven't tried the USB yet..understood that this wasn't a viable option at higher resolutions"

Umm, that's not quite right. Have a look at Gordon Rankin's Page http://www.usbdacs.com/Concept/Concept.html where USB is the norm. The page explains the concept and shows examples, rather a well done article Gordon! I couldn't afford the DACs from Wavelength, even the Stello DACs run to 24bit 96kHz on USB perhaps others have specs at hand for their DACs.

The Bryston has USB limits of 16bit, perhaps not using asynchronous mode? For the price of the USB cable give it a try, even try the upsample modes in the Bryston and let us all know the results?

Cheers,

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Definitely the Mac can provide 24/96 over USB. But your Dac will also have to be able to deal with 24/96 via its USB input -- and not all of them do.

For example, the dac may be 24/96 capable via its spdif input but not through its USB input.

• 4 weeks later...

I, along with others I suppose, have been having trouble finding a high quality optical (Toslink) cable for my Mac. I have been in contact with Nate Graham at Kimber Kable and he has informed me that he will build a mini Toslink to Toslink cable if I can find a mini Toslink connector. SO... can anyone out there find one of these so that we can get a nice (hopefully) cable from Kimber?

Gentlemen, this is my first post on this forum. I've found a lot of interest helps, but my problem still remain.

I have a Mac Mini and a Cambridge Audio Magico DAC (the last version).

I've tried with different outputs and different cables, but always is the same. I'm not able to have a correct output 24/96 form the Mini. The resolution supported is 16/44,1 ever! Well, I've read that the USB input of the DAC is not correct for high resolutions. So I've used four different optical cables connected to the headphone jack. Nothing is changed..............

Probably I'm not able to set the Mac (I'm a PC user). Can you help me, gentlemen?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor language.

Giorgio - Italy

Hi Giorgio - Make sure you select 96k in Audio Midi Setup.

Go to Applications then Utilities, and open the Audio Midi Setup application. On the left side of the Audio Midi window it will say Properties For:. Make sure you select Built-in Output. Then on the right side of the Audio Midi window select 96000.0 Hz next to Format. See photo below.

Audio MIDI Setup

audio-midi-96k-50.png click to enlarge

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I´m using miniToslink/Toslink Optocoupler MKII glass fibre cable from VdH since December with my MacBook Pro

to Burmaster DAC of 052 CD-Player. The sound is excellent and via Windows and foobar2000 at Mac there is no

problem at all to transfer 24-bit/192kHz signals to the DAC.

I think, it is "old" SP/DIF way of life (or listening music), but at the moment far less complicated as this

whole USB-discusion...

Anyway Optocoupler ist the big difference for me and no compare to optical cable for 20$ and minitoslink adapter.

Adam

Hello Chris,

thanks a lot for your answer. Finally I've found the way! Mac system is not so friendly for me, after 30 years of PC... :-)

Well, the sound is very good with optical connection and with my Cambridge DAC Magico. The only problem is the USB connection that doesn't support high resolution.

Can you suggest me mid-high price USB DACs that support HD resolutions by USB connection? Aqvox. maybe?

Thanks for your courtesy,

Giorgio - Italy