IGNORED

Amarra

My understanding is the Model 3 is basically a 303, which has no A to D or D to A converters, so just a firewire I/O (not unlike the AFI1)

"The Model 303 is an AES–only version of the 304, for those who already own an existing set of A/D/A converters. For multichannel work or when you need to effect your signal via AES/EBU-only outboard gear, the Model 303 is a perfect choice." [sonic Studio]

the Model 304 add's the DAC

the Model 305 adds the Mic pre's

I did a head to head test of Amarra on a Macbook with 2gb ram vs. J River MC14 on an XP laptop with 3gb ram and also J River MC14 on a Vista laptop with 4gb ram, all using Redbook CD with no upsampling. All went to my Meridian 861v4 dac via an Empirical Audio Offramp with a Superclock 4.

Amarra sounds quite a bit better. More image focus and image specificity, more detail in the sonics, and overall "sweeter" tonality. I expected this to be a lot closer. (Vista was better than unmapped XP, but not up to Amarra.)

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

Used Wasapi for Vista and used Direct Sound, unmapped, in XP

Used exact same WAV files and exact same USB cable/pathway for all the players

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

Compared these two set ups last night.

Amarra(3163) loaded on a Macbook with 4 gb ram and a 60 gb OCZ Vertex SSD connected with a Monster Cable iCable.

160 gb Apple TV .5 m Toslink to an upgraded Genesis Digital Lens output Audience Au 24 digital cable.

Both were connected to a Aberdeen Signature TacT S2150 which powers a pair of Volent VL-2s. The TacT has multiple digital inputs, so no cable switching was necessary.

Used Kurt Elling's new live CD- "Dedicated to You," loaded as a AIFF file on both set ups.

Like Bruce, I noticed the Amarra gain difference and adjusted the level settings in the TacT. After doing this, the two set ups sounded very close. Certainly not enough of an improvement to invest in the Amarra software right now.

Maybe I need a better digital interface to hear what Amarra can really do. Hopefully, I'll get my ART Legato back before my 30 day iLok trial is over.

I noticed that Amarra has not made it to the CASH list, though I suspect that it will be added. I also believe that Chris is using iTunes and Amarra in his reference system.

My question is whether all the DACs on the CASH list support Amarra or what is needed to enable Amarra playback? I assume some of the DAC review comments were based on a playback system of iTunes and Amarra, though I'm not sure if this was the case with any of the quick comparisons made between DACs.

Remember ... any DAC is "supported" by Amarra if you connect it via a suitable USB or FireWire interface that Amarra supports - the specifically say they support Lynx AES16e so any AES input DAC would be supported this way.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Amarra works with most FireWire and USB DACs. To ensure full functionality Amarra has been qualified to work with these audio interfaces:

• Amarra Model Four and Model Three

• All Sonic Studio Audio Interfaces (302/303/304/305)

• Benchmark

• Empirical Audio

• Lynx AES16e PCIe (Mac Pro)

• RME Fireface 400 and 800,

• Sonicweld Decoder and Diverter

• Wavelength

• Weiss Engineering Vesta, Minerva, AFI1, ADC2, DAC2

• More interfaces are qualified each week.

Assuming we ignore the last bullet that more interfaces are qualified each week, that means the following DACs on the CASH list work with Amarra without any intermediate interface:

1. Weiss Engineering Minerva

2. Benchmark Media Systems DAC1 HDR

3. Wavelength Audio Proton

If we use a suitable interface such as a Lynx AES16e card, then the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC and the Bryston BDA-1 External DAC will also work with Amarra.

That just leaves the Devilsound DAC on the CASH list. Although Sonic Studio states that Amarra works with most FireWire and USB DACs, most is not all and I see no evidence that the Devilsound DAC has been qualified. And if Amarra does not support the Devilsound DAC I am not sure what would be a suitable USB or FireWire interface that Amarra supports to the USB input of the Devilsound DAC.

• 1 month later...

I am using a mini mac with USB connection. I don't hear any difference with Amarra on or off. Yes i hear a huge difference in power cables, interconnects and even spikes and audio stands.

But when it comes to using amarra, i am forcing myself to hear the difference but in reality there is none. Is there only a subtle difference or does amarra only work with Firewire and certain approved DACS?

Thanks

Ajay

Music after life

Amarra will work with (most) USB DACs which support higher than 16/44.1. There is a "qualified devices list" but people have found Amarra works with other devices also. When trying Amarra, do the VU meter bars move? Are you using AIFF files or ALAC (ALAC doesn't work).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have an unapproved USB connection (DDDAC USB interface) running into Audionote DAC and I am very impressed.

Amarra provides much better control and imaging, bass is much better defined and I will be purchasing, the improvement was immediate and obvious.

But i have tried it with another unapproved USB interface and it wasn't, so i think it is very much down to systems.

With the few non AIFF files I had, I have used itunes to convert them to AIFF and they also sound better, not as good as AIFF ripped directly from CD but surprisingly tolerable. I think AIFF is Amarras best format. Given the price of storage (SSD excepted) I see no real point in compression even if it 'lossless'.

I am going to put an SSD drive in my Macbook to run Amarra to see if I can get a bit more out of it

I would urge people to listen rather than read about (any) equipment before making any judgement. The internet is a wonderful place to get info but it also full of dreadful prejuidice.

If it sounds better it is better, and we all have a different view on what sounds better - so, by and large, there is no better or worse just what we like.

If you can't hear any difference then enjoy the financial savings and move on!

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

• 3 weeks later...

I could be tempted to believe that Amarra is using some DSP effects. Maybe, maybe not. I was listening to my Konnekt 8 DAC last night with my MacBook Pro and iTunes to see whether I would keep or sell the unit (I actually only bought it to digitize LPs but my progress on that front has been a flat zero to date). I was able to confirm stereo playback in the 24bit/192kHz mode but I got the following message on the computer screen with the Konnekt software:

"Mixer + DSP not available in 192 kHz mode"

I receive a similar message playing 24/176.4 files:

"Mixer + DSP not available in 176 kHz mode"

When I played 16/44.1 or 24/96 files the Konnekt mixer and DSP software features were fully functional.

I then used Amarra for playback.

Again, the 16/44.1 and 24/96 files sounded very good with Amarra. However Amarra did not automatically change the sample rate of the Konnekt 8 and the 16/44.1 files would play back at double speed, if I did not manually change the sample rate.

When I tried to play back my 24/176.4 or 24/192 files, Amarra just crashed no matter what I tried. Perhaps it could be due to something else but my take is that the Konnekt 8 does not support any DSP at these rates, though the lower rates play perfectly, even though the automatic sample rate adjustment does not work. By comparison, iTunes supports all these rates perfectly with the Konnekt 8, though there is a slight loss of richness and depth without Amarra.

AZ, interesting coincidence, but probably only that.

One of the pros that frequent CA - Paul Stubblebine - has stated unequivocally that both Amarra and it's predecessor Soundblade are capable of bit-perfect playback.

Perhaps you had the volume down accidentally when this issue occurred?

Or more likely, this is a reason they 'approve' DACs - perhaps there is a temperemental relationship between Amarra and some DACs.

clay

Audiozorro, I didn't know the Konnekt 8 was an approved DAC/interface by Sonic Studio? If so, that's great news! Because the last I heard from SS is that it was not approved and they didn't have plans (in the near future) to support it due to some software issues with TC. But that was a few months ago, so I guess it works with Amarra. That's good to know.

Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

I would have to assume that the Konnekt 8 is not an approved DAC/interface for Amarra. I was able to confirm that 16/44.1 and 24/96 files play fine with Amarra, but you need to manually change the sample rate. For an approved DAC, the sample rate is automatically changed to match the rate of the source without the user having to manually change the AudioMidi settings.

I was also able to confirm that 24/176.4 and 24/192 files cannot be played back with Amarra and the Konnekt 8 DAC. The Amarra software crashes.

I did confirm that 24/176.4 and 24/192 files play fine with iTunes and yes the playback is stereo and not mono as previously reported. But the mixer and DSP functions in the Konnekt 8 software were not available at those higher sampling rates.

I am more concerned with what sounds best rather than bit-perfect playback. For instance there is substantial evidence and observations that SSD drives sound better than HDD drives or digital cables sound different, yet all are capable of bit-perfect playback. And if by chance some bit-imperfect hardware or software sounds superior to the bit-perfect stuff, I will probably want what sounds best. To use a visual analogy, edited photos generally look better than untouched photos, though the latter are bit-perfect.

Anyone know why the "power meters" don't function on Amarra when playing a lossless file?

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com