IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

It changed my life :)  Bur seriously,  if you think of how the pre upgrade DAC sounds, the ES9038pro upgrade takes everything to the next level in terms transparency, clarity,  and less digital, more analog sound. And don't forgot about all the tweaking options with the filters and jitter settings.  It has the same overall "flavor" as the previous version, but with a better sonic presentation.   I am not one to dwell on detailed sonic interpretations, so my summary  is simply that overall it sounds better than the previous version.  

After a week with the upgrade I can completely agree with jrsub. Its hard not to use the typical platitudes (from both hard science and fairy dust groups) in this scene. Much more accurate with a much lower noise floor translates to a more a natural and analog sound. I'd say the biggest change is the space between the sound - its much more pronounced. This also allows satisfactory listening at lower levels.

On 5/12/2017 at 6:47 PM, lexicon1 said:

Is it me or am I missing something. W4S implements an improvement in our DAC, This thread has typically had contributors who elaborate on their audible experiences with the Dac in general. The new implementation has an issue with a particular I2S unit (Singxer) and the thread takes a direction which spends so much time complaining about their Singxer implementation that it taints the name of W4S .

What about LVDS implementation of Matrix X-SPDIF 2 ?

I have only good to report on my upgraded DAC2 v2SE. Detail, sound-stage, imaging......choose and audiophile adjective...........all superb and improved from DAC's former iteration. I would love to do an A/B of this against an MSB Analog DAC for fun.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

On 5/12/2017 at 4:21 PM, jrsub said:

And you have more improvements to come,  Mine didn't start sounding really good until it had about 240 hours on it and sounded its best at about the 400 hour mark. 

Spot on! Been more burn in and this DAC has really come to life... and the SQ is much improved over the DAC2 DSDse.

Any word from W4S on doing DSD256 with Linux/microRendu?

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

16 hours ago, enser said:

Works great and sounds great, I'm using a mR straight USB to DAC2 interface.

This isn't supposed to work yet, it's been limited to DSD128. Tell us more!

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

I was told on the phone that dsd256 plays with no problems now via roon. I just sent mine in to be upgraded, so I certainly hope it works.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

DSD256 is supposed to work, and does, from Windows. I assume it works with Roon from a Windows PC but haven't tried it. It was not working from Linux or a microRendu (which is Linux) due to the firmware on the usb interface. W4S was looking at upgrading the usb firmware but we haven't heard anything on that front in a month or so, at least that I'm aware of. Seems like they spent a lot of time on the I2s interface issue with the Singxer though. Maybe we'll get a status upgrade directly from W4S soon, please.

Bob

@JohnDonaldson and others interested -- In the past, we've partnered with others who have made our USB drivers and firmware. This worked fine for the original project scope and goals, but the flipside is that it's kept our hands tied to their capabilities (and willingness of those parties) to support future, unforeseen implementations not part of the original project.

Moving forward, we would like to move away from relying on third parties for these things due to an inevitable bottleneck and lack of adaptability (and sometimes cooperation or availability) on their end, and integrate our own autonomous solutions. This will be a bigger initial challenge for us, but better in the long run to hopefully eliminate situations like these.

We're working to make the current circuit operate with Linux in this way. At the same time, we're developing a new solution in-house to have full control. Should we not be able to get the current design working, we'll have two options: 1) to get the new circuit in the DAC, or 2) an upcoming external interface that will also work. Your patience is appreciated, this may take some time.

2 hours ago, Wyred 4 Sound said:

@JohnDonaldson and others interested -- In the past, we've partnered with others who have made our USB drivers and firmware. This worked fine for the original project scope and goals, but the flipside is that it's kept our hands tied to their capabilities (and willingness of those parties) to support future, unforeseen implementations not part of the original project.

Moving forward, we would like to move away from relying on third parties for these things due to an inevitable bottleneck and lack of adaptability (and sometimes cooperation or availability) on their end, and integrate our own autonomous solutions. This will be a bigger initial challenge for us, but better in the long run to hopefully eliminate situations like these.

We're working to make the current circuit operate with Linux in this way. At the same time, we're developing a new solution in-house to have full control. Should we not be able to get the current design working, we'll have two options: 1) to get the new circuit in the DAC, or 2) an upcoming external interface that will also work. Your patience is appreciated, this may take some time.

Any possibility of DSD512 while you are at it? That would be hugely better!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I am very happy to hear W4S is continuing to offer upgrade paths for their existing customers and products.  Kudos to the W4S team.

Software: Realtime Debian 11-64, JRMC28-64, Custom VST3-64, CamillaDSP-64 (2x8 channel 64-bit FIR multi-pass convolution), RePhase, REW, Custom Driver Level DRC-FIR upgrades, JRMC CloudPlay, Pandora, Spotify, dBPowerAmp Reference,

2 Channel: A-Tech Fabrication i7-3770K/NVMe/Passive Cooling-No Moving Parts->OKTO DAC8 PRO->QuadAmping - MagTech/Mark Levinson #336/IcePower ASP1000->Magnepan 20.1's, NEO8's & OB/Dipole Subs

Home Theater: Anthem Statement D2V->W4S 7x1000->Magnepan 3.6's/CC3/MC2's+Martin Logan Descent I Subs

Office: Core-i7 3770S/SSD->Xonar Essence STX->W4S µDAC->W4S STI-1000->Magnepan Mini-Maggies

Garage: Dell Laptop->W4S uDAC->AdCom Amp->B&W Rock Solid

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone using the AudiophileOptimizer with their DAC? I just read the review of the DAC2v2SE on Audiostream and he claims an improvement. I know it was reviewed at CA with a thumbs up but was reading it should be run with Windows 10 Pro. Any input here is appreciated.

Coot. Just saw your post from July. I spoke with W4S and they compared the Anniversary to the regular SE as a huge jump. When I get the $$ I will jump to that upgrade.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

The primary differences with the 10th anniversary DAC (besides our spiffy special edition case :) ) is that the 10th includes a newly redesigned digital board, Hand-matched custom Vishay Z-Foil resistors, Custom 10th Anniversary lathed aluminum footers, and Custom 10th Anniversary red LED display.  All of which extends the performance slightly above our highly rated DAC-2v2SE model.  

Any recommendation on the AudiophileOptimizer?  You can email me if you want to keep that between us.

Keith

38 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

Any recommendation on the AudiophileOptimizer?  You can email me if you want to keep that between us.

Keith

For those of you wishing to use Windows 10, AudioPhil feels that Windows 10 Pro will offer the greatest potential for sonic improvement over the Home version. The Home version is not able to process group policies and offers less potential for optimization.

Steve Plaskin

I don't us an AO or know anything about it.

The 10th Anniversary DAC is an improvement over the DAC2 DSDse I traded in. Better in every way, but should be for a $2k upgrade! 

I was running through a Placette volume control unit which for reasons I don't fully understand did improve that dac. With the new dac I do not need the vcu, sound is better on it's own. I'm officially off the upgrade merry-go-round  - - well unless...