IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound Dac2SE Upgrade Revisited & Findings -- The Best Decision Unequivocally!

Is anyone still experiencing issues with the new chip?

I am also waiting for my DAC with the 9038 update to be returned. W4S informed me of the delay due to DSD issues. Likely this issue has to do with Roon. However, I understand their reluctance to ship until they fully comprehend what is going on. I was told they are working with the lead designer of the ESS Sabre 9038 on this issue.

Hopefully, we will have a solution soon. I have a modified Singxer SU-1 and will try out the i2s input. Very eager to hear this.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Please let us know how the i2s sounds.

I will run a comparison between straight usb and i2s via the Singxer SU-1. I have a very good usb transport:

PPAv4 card(TeraDak +5) > dual headed Pachanko usb cable > Intona > Pachanko RUR link > W4S Recovery(HDPlex 9 volts)

I purchased a Wireworld Starlight 7.0 HDMI 0.3 Meter cable to carry the i2s. This is an awesome looking cable, hope it sounds great.

I have a Sound Affairs modification kit with Elite BDC arriving tomorrow from Singapore.

Singxer SU-1 with PLiXiR Elite BDC modification – Sound Affairs

I'll post my impressions here.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

Any word? Got the emails but I'm getting antsy here for sure.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Emailed Tony Holt yesterday asking what is going on. His reply was they are making progress but not fully resolved yet, and hoping it won't be much longer.

Yes, Tony told me pretty much the same thing on Wednesday. I am glad they identified the issue prior to sending my DAC back to me. The question is whether it is a design flaw in the chip or in the W4S application circuitry. Hopefully a solution is coming soon.

In the meantime, The Singxer SU-1 is sounding awesome with the iFi micro idsd in my setup. The micro is a little under the SQ of the W4S by itself via usb. However, adding the Singxer and inputting the micro's coax brought it near equal to the W4S. Now with the Sound Affairs Plixer Elite BDC mod to the SU-1, my system is sounding better than ever. This really makes me want the modified DAC ASAP! If the Singxer can boost the performance of the micro this much, I am very optimistic of its performance with the W4S via its i2s input. The Singxer SU-1 is most impressive, clearly beating an SOtM with superclock and BPSU that cost much more.

Hi all,

We wanted to give everyone an update on our progress toward resolving some recently reported issues related to DSD playback with the 9038PRO chip. First, we sincerely appreciate the patience of those affected during the past week. It has been all hands on deck at Wyred, essentially dropping everything to address this.

To recap and summarize, this issue can manifest itself as scratchy, poppy, hissing or other unintended sonic artifacts while playing DSD files specifically. Some have reported this only with DSD 256 playback, but others have reported no problems whatsoever. This inconsistency certainly made things more difficult to troubleshoot, however, we were able to replicate things on our end and thus address them.

The first issue we found was heat-related. Due to their clock and processing requirements, DSD files can generate much more heat on the chip than PCM files. During some DSD playback, we found that excessive heat could be directly related to some sonic anomalies. We were told that the chip was pin-compatible which it is, however, the 9038 has a thermal pad where the 9018 does not. Despite the datasheet noting that the exposed thermal pad can be left floating, we found that with higher sample rate playback, it is necessary to be connected for proper cooling. When we cooled the chip down, these issues went away. Our solution is to add a custom-made heatsink for the chip so we can avoid this altogether, since the original design with the 9018 didn’t have the thermal pad designed into the PCB. This has proved to work extremely well.

The second issue we found was related to erroneously defaulting bits within a register which were undisclosed in the datasheet. This was causing another set of sonic irregularities. When we were able to gather the correct information and reprogram the register, the issues went away.

One other thing we’d like to point out is that during testing using the latest Roon 1.3, we’ve found that it seems to be having its own playback issues, either with a ’transport load’ error or some strange sonic artifacts during playing and pausing a DSD track. Please be aware that this is unrelated to the ESS issues and we are confident the guys at Roon will sort things out shortly.

After finding and addressing these areas mentioned above, playback has been clean. It's important to state that there is absolutely no sonic change or compromises of any kind as a result of our updates (excepting of course the fixed DSD issues). For those that have an upgraded DAC, please be on the lookout for our direct email to resolve any issues you may be having. Those with DACs currently in for upgrade, thank you for patiently waiting; you can expect shipping next week. It’s important to note that if you are not experiencing issues, we do not feel you need to worry about anything. There are only a handful of customers who have reported issues. Others have reported having none. If you are in the latter camp, please continue enjoying your DAC.

Lastly, we’d like to add that we’re thankful for being such a small and customer-centric company that and quickly adapt and correct on such short notice. We truly appreciate all of your support. We still feel that the new 2v2 DACs are among the finest available on the market today, and despite these small, very specific DSD playback anomalies, the new 2v2se with the 9038PRO chip is groundbreaking in what it has achieved.

We can always be contacted directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Tony and EJ

Tony and EJ

Fantastic news! Great job guys..........and thanks for the explicit detailing of the issues for us. I look forward to this awesome upgrade. To address and correct this complex issue within a week is impressive. :)

Hi all,

We wanted to give everyone an update on our progress toward resolving some recently reported issues related to DSD playback with the 9038PRO chip. First, we sincerely appreciate the patience of those affected during the past week. It has been all hands on deck at Wyred, essentially dropping everything to address this.

To recap and summarize, this issue can manifest itself as scratchy, poppy, hissing or other unintended sonic artifacts while playing DSD files specifically. Some have reported this only with DSD 256 playback, but others have reported no problems whatsoever. This inconsistency certainly made things more difficult to troubleshoot, however, we were able to replicate things on our end and thus address them.

The first issue we found was heat-related. Due to their clock and processing requirements, DSD files can generate much more heat on the chip than PCM files. During some DSD playback, we found that excessive heat could be directly related to some sonic anomalies. We were told that the chip was pin-compatible which it is, however, the 9038 has a thermal pad where the 9018 does not. Despite the datasheet noting that the exposed thermal pad can be left floating, we found that with higher sample rate playback, it is necessary to be connected for proper cooling. When we cooled the chip down, these issues went away. Our solution is to add a custom-made heatsink for the chip so we can avoid this altogether, since the original design with the 9018 didn’t have the thermal pad designed into the PCB. This has proved to work extremely well.

The second issue we found was related to erroneously defaulting bits within a register which were undisclosed in the datasheet. This was causing another set of sonic irregularities. When we were able to gather the correct information and reprogram the register, the issues went away.

One other thing we’d like to point out is that during testing using the latest Roon 1.3, we’ve found that it seems to be having its own playback issues, either with a ’transport load’ error or some strange sonic artifacts during playing and pausing a DSD track. Please be aware that this is unrelated to the ESS issues and we are confident the guys at Roon will sort things out shortly.

After finding and addressing these areas mentioned above, playback has been clean. It's important to state that there is absolutely no sonic change or compromises of any kind as a result of our updates (excepting of course the fixed DSD issues). For those that have an upgraded DAC, please be on the lookout for our direct email to resolve any issues you may be having. Those with DACs currently in for upgrade, thank you for patiently waiting; you can expect shipping next week. It’s important to note that if you are not experiencing issues, we do not feel you need to worry about anything. There are only a handful of customers who have reported issues. Others have reported having none. If you are in the latter camp, please continue enjoying your DAC.

Lastly, we’d like to add that we’re thankful for being such a small and customer-centric company that and quickly adapt and correct on such short notice. We truly appreciate all of your support. We still feel that the new 2v2 DACs are among the finest available on the market today, and despite these small, very specific DSD playback anomalies, the new 2v2se with the 9038PRO chip is groundbreaking in what it has achieved.

We can always be contacted directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Tony and EJ

that is a very impressive example of great customer service! i certainly appreciate the quick reaction, the thorough research, and the articulate explanation.

i have not done business with you guys before, but i certainly will put you on my shortlist going forward!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thank you EJ and Tony. We all appreciate your shared information about the chip issue. I must say it was interesting reading about it as well.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Ditto for me as well. As one of the owners affected, I really appreciate what you do and I know you have been working hard on this issue.

My upgraded DAC sounds fantastic. I only have a limited selection of DSD files, but converting them to PCM has been working for now.

As for the sound, it seems there's more detail and depth. On some tracks, not only can I see the instruments on stage or in the studio, but I can now see the performer playing the instrument!

I look forward to getting your resolution for my DAC.

Eldon Doucet

For 2-channel: Roon Nucleus, W4S DAC2-DSDSe (now upgraded to DAC-2v2Se w/9038Pro) & Recovery, Biz Audio USB cable, McAllister Audio MA-10 Pre, McAllister Audio OTL-95 Amps using Morrow Audio MA4 interconnects, PureAudio Trio 15B speakers using Morrow Audio SP-7 speaker wires. Black Sand Audio Violet Z1 MKii power cables.

While I can play my limited DSD64 and DSD128 files with pretty much no issues Wyred's comments about the possible heat issue and errorneously defaulting bits has me somewhat concerned. I too look forward to hearing what the fix is, hopefully it is something we can do ourselves without having to send the DAC in.

One thing I have noticed is that the unit runs warmer than prior to the upgrade. I had mine in a Salamander cabinet which is open at front and back with only an inch or two clearance above the unit. I do not ever recall the unit getting more than slightly warm prior to the upgrade. I was somewhat surprised that after the upgrade the unit was warm enough that I decided to put it on top of cabinet instead of in the cabinet.

Supposed to be shipping end of the week. Dying to get the system up and running again!

Supposed to be shipping end of the week. Dying to get the system up and running again!

+2

Did anybody get an email/notice that there modified 9038 DAC is shipping yet?

Nothing here too but i was late to the game. They only received my dac last Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

@KDinsmore, please check your inbox. We sent a recent update email to everyone who has their DAC here for the upgrade. We are still planning on beginning shipping DACs back this week. When your DAC ships, you will receive an email from us with tracking information. We're working as quickly as we can; your continued patience is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

I received an email from W4S that my shipping label has been created for UPS. That's almost shipped. So I will have it back early next week. Anticipa-a-tion is making me wait.....But it won't be long now.